Menu

Increasing my 10 yo's vocabulary?

Anyone have any suggestions on how I do this? My 10 yo dd is dyslexic. She is almost reading at grade level so it is time to start focusing on increasing her vocab. She hates to read, naturally, which I know is the best way to do that. She also struggles with word retrieval. I plan to put her in ST in the fall but right now we are maxed out on therapies. I would like to work with her a little on my own to get her going. Any ideas?

If you pursue Wordly Wise, there are online activities to go with it. I'm not sure it will go over well, but I bought it to try with my dd. We'll see. I've also seen visual flashcards I thought were interesting. I know there are lots of flashcard apps, but I'm wondering if there's something where you can drag in a google image for one side of the flashcard and put your vocab info on the other. That would probably be a good way for my dd to actually cement the vocab.

Yes, for us audiobooks over the years were HUGE. Highly recommend. Anything unabridged that catches her interest will do. Her auditory is probably going to be a pretty good path for her. She might be a good age for the Chronicles of Narnia. The Little House books are a bit young for her, but if she hasn't listened to them yet they would work. Librovox has free audiobooks you can download. She'd be at a good age for the Lang Fairy Tale books or anything Alcott (Little Women, etc.). Also don't miss the value of reading simple children's *non*fiction. She's still young enough to go to that section and enjoy what you find and read her. Lots of pictures, lots of putting in. Any of the BF or SL core books for age would be fabulous on audio. I had my ds the year when my dd was that age (they're 9 1/2 years apart), and I got a number of audiobooks for her that year for her history, knowing read alouds might not be reality. Witch of Blackbird Pond, Johnny Tremain, that kind of thing.

"Bringing Words to Life" is a fantastic book with tons of ideas on how to expand vocabulary. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572307536/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

LinguiSystem also has several books and workbooks that are easy to use to help with both vocabulary development AND word retrival. Here's one called "Help for Vocabulary" and if you click on the sample, you'll see how this book does it. http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10003

Also, it's really helpful to teach the meaning of prefixes, suffixes and roots.

And lastly, I really like my e-reader that has a built-in dictionary. I can quickly and easily find the meaning of unknown words or words that I'm not completely sure of the meaning when I read.

Thanks for the great ideas. We are trying to do more audiobooks but dd just is not into reading, being read to etc. We are working on that. She did surprise me today by requesting I buy a book for her off Amazon. Hopefully she will read it after it gets here. :) The free rice website is a neat idea. I think she will like that too. I need to check the book recs once I have the kiddos in bed.