Menu

s/o 8th grade credits on transcript

I have a couple of courses like that-- My 8th grade DD is starting 9th grade French and Algebra.

Since she will finish more than half of French, I am giving her a half-credit for "French IA" in 8th grade, and will transcript her 9th grade work as "French IB/French IIA."

She will not be halfway done with Algebra, so I will just transcript it all on 9th grade.

I'll be interested to hear what others say, though. This is my first high school transcript.

I am actually opting to do exactly that in two areas. World History and Biology. She will get one credit for each, but will have spent two years on them. We simply wanted to go deeper than a year would allow.

I guess I feel that is part of the beauty of homeschool. I would not give more credit, but being able to really explore fuller is a nice luxury. I talked to some local high school teachers and they said they often don't finish the text in Biology in a year. I know many World History classes don't manage to cover past WW2 really well. So, I figure there is nothing wrong with spending two years to really dig in, but only get one credit.

I don't see why these would be an issue. I did my older son's transcript by subject and not by date. He had quite a few courses from the 8th grade on there.

He was enrolled with NARHS at the time (which in retrospect I found to be a waste of money), and their policy was that if he was doing 2 high school-level "textbook" subjects, then they would consider him working at a high school-level and would list other self-designed courses he did in 8th grade on his transcript as long as they thought these were also high school-level.

I know that most of my son's 8th grade courses were as or more rigorous than what the kids at the local ps were doing in the 9th grade and getting credit for, so I figured why shouldn't he get high school-credit for them.

JM2Cents,

Brenda

I will be giving my son, who will be in 8th grade next year, high school credit for French and Medieval History. He will be doing the exact same courses as his 10th grade brother. I will simply count these courses on his high school transcripts as 9th grade credits.

By the end of 8th grade, my younger son will have done two levels of Rosetta Stone French and Biblioplan Year 2 w/Notgrass Exploring World History.

I don't see why these would be an issue. I did my older son's transcript by subject and not by date. He had quite a few courses from the 8th grade on there.

:iagree:

This is how I have set up my son's transcript as well.

The public schools around me give high school credit in 8th grade (and those grades are calculated into the student's high school g.p.a.). I would think colleges are used to seeing high school level courses taken in 8th grade listed on the transcript.

My son has started Algebra II in 8th. I will definitely list it on his transcript...but as a 9th grade course. He will have geometry listed as a high school credit from 8th grade (along with an outsourced Latin I).

He is also taking BJU's Physical Science (a definite ICP course), but I have chosen NOT to list it as high school credit even though BJU indicates it is a high school course.

One thing that we have run into that poses an interesting "problem" is that our umbrella school (in TN) requires Algebra I on the transcript! So I have had several discussions with the director about this requirement. I do not want a course from 6/7th grade on the transcript for the reasons discussed in these "8th grade credit" threads. It sounds ridiculous! (jmho) We are still not sure how this is going to be handled.

Brenda - Did you do the common app? I listed my older one's courses by subject, also, for both CC and his 4-year college, but I am worried about using that strategy for youngest because he is going to have to use the common app and doesn't that have slots for listing the courses by year? My husband took a few minutes before work yesterday to explain to me how to transfer a complete mishmash into years while still allowing me to sign promising this is correct. He has this problem at work all the time with government stuff at work. The strategy is to have a method and document the "translation", but I am still hoping I won't have to do it. I think I'm a bit more literal about this sort of thing than most people. Sigh. Nan

Many PS count some classes taken in 8th grade. They do include the grade in the GPA. You get a credit, you count the grade. I've seen listings state that to count the 8th grade foreign language, as one example, you still need four years in high school. They count 8th grade to allow students to reach AP level in 12th grade. Same with math. They count alg 1 if students go to advanced math in 12th grade. What I haven't seen done in PS is allow 8th grade to count just so you don't have to do it in high school. Summer classes are used to make a high school schedule lighter.

Brenda - Did you do the common app? I listed my older one's courses by subject, also, for both CC and his 4-year college, but I am worried about using that strategy for youngest because he is going to have to use the common app and doesn't that have slots for listing the courses by year? My husband took a few minutes before work yesterday to explain to me how to transfer a complete mishmash into years while still allowing me to sign promising this is correct. He has this problem at work all the time with government stuff at work. The strategy is to have a method and document the "translation", but I am still hoping I won't have to do it. I think I'm a bit more literal about this sort of thing than most people. Sigh. Nan

Fwiw, I have read of other homeschoolers that don't fill out the spaces on the common application and instead refer the reader to their homeschool transcript that is listed by subject rather than by year.

I read several people (who very successfully got their kids into selective colleges) describe that they did not fill out that page on the common app, but referred to their transcript which they sent separately, because the form was too narrow and restricted and did not even fit all their courses.

The way we have seen the schools handle mid-school courses:

1. They are shown on the transcript, but not calculated in GPA

2. They are not counted toward credit hour totals a given school requires toward graduation

3. They advise parents that if a college specifically requires x numbers of years in a given subject area, those credits must be done in the high school years. So if a student took Alg.1 and Geometry in middle school and the college requires 3 math credits in high school, the student would need to take three more during the high school years.

It is as though the courses are "recognized" for completion but not allowed to impact GPA (class rank), college specific requirements and often not allowed as credits completed toward the given schools total credits required.

The way we have seen the schools handle mid-school courses:

1. They are shown on the transcript, but not calculated in GPA

2. They are not counted toward credit hour totals a given school requires toward graduation

3. They advise parents that if a college specifically requires x numbers of years in a given subject area, those credits must be done in the high school years. So if a student took Alg.1 and Geometry in middle school and the college requires 3 math credits in high school, the student would need to take three more during the high school years.

It is as though the courses are "recognized" for completion but not allowed to impact GPA (class rank), college specific requirements and often not allowed as credits completed toward the given schools total credits required.

For those of you who know how schools handle this... my dds will be attending ps high school in the fall. They will end up taking 2-3 years of foreign language in the high school itself. The high school itself requires only two years of foreign language (so no problem from that perspective), but I know many universities now require four. I didn't think this would be a problem, as they will be on track to have APs in two foreign languages - they'll enter Spanish III or IV as freshmen, and have been taking German since kindergarten outside of school (and will continue through 10th-11th grade, just not in school), and take the AP.

How should this be presented to colleges, especially if I'm not the one making the transcript? There must be some way to add an addendum for outside coursework?

They could do independent study or take a college class to take more years of a language, but I was thinking it would be great for them to have foreign language "done" so they could have time to take other electives junior/senior year. I'd have them continue the languages by reading/foreign exchange rather than classwork. I hate this box-checking instead of common sense.

How should this be presented to colleges, especially if I'm not the one making the transcript? There must be some way to add an addendum for outside coursework?

A friend's son went back to the public school after homeschooling 5th - 9th grade. They just returned last week from visiting a number of colleges. The admissions at the colleges they visited said that they wanted to see the high school level classes that her son studied as a homeschooler - even if the high school would not grant her son credit (she is still working this issue out with the high school).

My friend will be sending in a "homeschool" transcript for her son in addition to the p.s. transcript.

as they will be on track to have APs in two foreign languages - they'll enter Spanish III or IV as freshmen, and have been taking German since kindergarten outside of school (and will continue through 10th-11th grade, just not in school), and take the AP.

How should this be presented to colleges, especially if I'm not the one making the transcript?

Since you report the AP scores, would that not automatically indicate to the college that the student has mastered the languages at AP level, without you explaining exactly how that was achieved?

Unless you need the extra credits to have enough number of credits, I would let the AP scores speak for themselves. It should be clear to the college that the knowledge must have been acquired somehow.

Since you report the AP scores, would that not automatically indicate to the college that the student has mastered the languages at AP level, without you explaining exactly how that was achieved?

Unless you need the extra credits to have enough number of credits, I would let the AP scores speak for themselves. It should be clear to the college that the knowledge must have been acquired somehow.

Well, that has been exactly my thinking all along. But then I hear here that colleges are asking kids with AP Calculus where their Algebra I class is on the transcript. :confused:

And this:

So, does that mean if the college (not the high school) requires 4 years of a foreign language, all four must be in high school? Even if they take the AP test their sophomore year? It sounds like they don't care about the level of study or proficiency, just the number of hours in a classroom seat in a certain subject during those particular four years?? :confused::confused:

So, does that mean if the college (not the high school) requires 4 years of a foreign language, all four must be in high school? Even if they take the AP test their sophomore year? It sounds like they don't care about the level of study or proficiency, just the number of hours in a classroom seat in a certain subject during those particular four years??

We were told that the only thing the univ. wanted to see was the 4 years of high school. It doesn't matter how much of a subject one does early, one is required to have 4 credits of math *in the high school years*. Obviously when advanced maths are shown they know that the student has done the basic maths early. We also have the same thing for foreign language. It has to be done *in high school*. So the only thing we squeak in is the summer between 8th and 9th - we always try to get one necessary credit out of the way (for us that is always our state history which is required in high school).

Back to the original question about completing a subject in the first year of high school: I, personally, don't have a problem putting that on a transcript unless it would look weird: if one put algebra 1 and algebra 2 on the same year that might raise some eyebrows. But it could still be done :) if one has a really "mathy" student :)

We were told that the only thing the univ. wanted to see was the 4 years of high school. It doesn't matter how much of a subject one does early, one is required to have 4 credits of math *in the high school years*. Obviously when advanced maths are shown they know that the student has done the basic maths early. We also have the same thing for foreign language. It has to be done *in high school*.

:banghead::banghead: Well, that is just nuts. At least for foreign language. My kids will be continuing their language studies after AP through reading and exchange, but there simply are no more classes to take after AP. Not even at the CC. It would have to be a 4-yr university to offer classes after that, but I wouldn't want to pile on more classes during the year (not to mention the commute), and I'd want them doing something like, say, visiting the country where the language is spoken over a conversation class in the summer. I'm also considering a gap year in one of the countries for them.

There are many kids that take 4 yrs of language in high school but still can't speak that well (or at all). My kids will be fluent - in two foreign languages. Really, where is common sense?? :banghead:

How many schools told you this??

:banghead::banghead: Well, that is just nuts. At least for foreign language. My kids will be continuing their language studies after AP through reading and exchange, but there simply are no more classes to take after AP. Not even at the CC. It would have to be a 4-yr university to offer classes after that, but I wouldn't want to pile on more classes during the year (not to mention the commute), and I'd want them doing something like, say, visiting the country where the language is spoken over a conversation class in the summer. I'm also considering a gap year in one of the countries for them.

There are many kids that take 4 yrs of language in high school but still can't speak that well (or at all). My kids will be fluent - in two foreign languages. Really, where is common sense?? :banghead:

All the state schools we looked at. You may get different information from the LACs, though. Really, it is important to check with any potential universities your student may be interested in. For us, I decided not to even bother with the foreign languages until they could take them as dual enrolled students. Only one of my boys really cared to learn a foreign language and he had planned to minor in Spanish until the stresses of an engineering degree took over.

This is probably where you have to become a bit more creative in your course labels. If your children are going to continue reading and conversing in their languages, couldn't you give them a half credit for Advanced blank Conversation # and Advanced blank Literature # every year after the AP? The course labels don't have to be French 1, French 2, French 3, French 4. Isn't it more that the college wants to see that the language skills are continuing to be developed? You could look at a college course catalogue to get ideas for course names. I think if I had to give them number labels, I would be tempted to start calling them French 14, French 15, etc., after French AP lol. Perhaps you should speak to some colleges yourself. I'm not sure that information is really meant to cover situations in which the student is more or less fluent.

Nan

This is probably where you have to become a bit more creative in your course labels. If your children are going to continue reading and conversing in their languages, couldn't you give them a half credit for Advanced blank Conversation # and Advanced blank Literature # every year after the AP? The course labels don't have to be French 1, French 2, French 3, French 4. Isn't it more that the college wants to see that the language skills are continuing to be developed?

The problem is that I'm sending them to the public high school, so I won't be writing the transcript or the course labels. That's why I was wondering if there were addenda that could be added - but I doubt I'd be allowed to assign them actual credit for courses outside of school if they're also enrolled in school. :glare:

The high school seems to have a good program with high standards, and almost 90% of the kids go on to 4-yr colleges. I'm even friends with the Spanish IV teacher at the school and it sounds like they have an excellent program that would be better than I could do myself or at the CC.

I'm personally thinking of the public high school as outsourcing in a convenient one-stop kind of way. But I don't think the high school or universities will agree with my perspective. :tongue_smilie:

Hmm... I forgot that. Can they organize some independent study for them? Our public high school will make classes for a student who is beyond their own classes, or let them take classes elsewhere. If you went to the head of the language department with a reading list and paper topic list, perhaps they would be more willing to arrange an independent study course. Other than that, I guess extra classes get listed as extra curricular activities - piano lessons, etc. If it has to be listed as extra curricular, can they take the European language exams? DALF is the French one, and I know there is a German one. Taking one of those at the end of high school might make the work you do at home more official. I would call some colleges, though, and see if they really do want foreign language past AP level. My impression was that they didn't want a large gap between when a student stops a subject in high school and starts the subject in college because the subject sometimes is forgotten. But I could be wrong. You might have to resign yourself to doing something unusual, since you have unusual children. : ) How do the good prep schools do it? Do people with bilingual children do another language in high school?

Hmm... I forgot that. Can they organize some independent study for them? Our public high school will make classes for a student who is beyond their own classes, or let them take classes elsewhere. If you went to the head of the language department with a reading list and paper topic list, perhaps they would be more willing to arrange an independent study course. Other than that, I guess extra classes get listed as extra curricular activities - piano lessons, etc. If it has to be listed as extra curricular, can they take the European language exams? DALF is the French one, and I know there is a German one. Taking one of those at the end of high school might make the work you do at home more official. I would call some colleges, though, and see if they really do want foreign language past AP level. My impression was that they didn't want a large gap between when a student stops a subject in high school and starts the subject in college because the subject sometimes is forgotten. But I could be wrong. You might have to resign yourself to doing something unusual, since you have unusual children. : ) How do the good prep schools do it? Do people with bilingual children do another language in high school?

They should be taking the Sprachdiplom (German exam) through their Saturday school, if they do well enough to qualify (the school keeps their stats high by only inviting those who they project will do well on it to take it in the first place). I'm thinking at least one of my older kids should qualify, with any luck, both. I'm not sure what the Spanish exam is called, but there must be one. I think there's a Cervantes Institute in Boston; maybe I could ask there.

I know the school is open to independent study past AP, because they've already done it for one girl who entered in Spanish 3. But I was kind of hoping they'd have those extra "spaces" on their schedule to take other things rather than more language. Maybe I can get the school to give credit for independent study over the summer? Or at least put it on the transcript??

I do think most bilingual kids take a second foreign language in high school to fulfill the requirement, but I think most of them start at the "normal" time, so they aren't running out of classes in that second language.

Who does one talk to at the colleges to figure this kind of stuff out? Since this is unusual, looking at the website won't help. With two just entering high school, figuring out colleges is still a ways off, but it seems it behooves me to figure this out and work backward (like in the other thread :)). With all this talk of funding college, they may well end up at the state school (which is where I went, for similar reasons, and is actually the only place I ever applied, so this whole choose the "best fit" college thing has me :willy_nilly::svengo:) - which is another reason ps high school is not such a bad idea in my case, as our state school insists on GEDs for homeschool students. :glare::glare: But I don't want to close any doors elsewhere - who knows what may happen?

When mine were still at the beginning of high school, we visited a few colleges in person and I asked to speak to an admissions person. There was one person who pretended he didn't understand my questions and refused to answer them. There was another one, bless her, who was familiar enough with homeschooling to know I was the guidance councilor. Since then, when I have needed to speak to schools, I have started by explaining that I am acting as a guidance councilor, not as a parent, now, and I need some information. The times I have done this, people understood (not a big sample size, you understand). I had a terrible time getting information out of the state university via email, the time I tried. They were polite and would email back and forth with me, but they didn't understand my questions. They were questions about their regulations for homeschoolers, though, so that might explain it. I would start by calling your high school guidance councilor. As a parent, he or she should be willing to talk to you. They should know the requirements, especially for your state school, and be able to explain how much of a problem having language study as an extra curricular activity will be. They might also be willing to call the Saturday school some sort of independent study, especially if it is topped off by an exam and you can get the language school to give you some paperwork. If that doesn't work, you might try calling a small private college and asking to speak to somebody in the admissions office. Explain that you need general information about college admissions because you have a student who may have a problem with some of the requirements. I would make sure they know the age of the student (so they know why you and not the student is speaking to them). I would keep trying different colleges until I got somebody who would explain to me. Another place that might be able to help is one of your local community college's transfer advisors. They are probably used to dealing with people who have qualifications from a variety of sources.

Doesn't Europe have some sort of language passport? A document to officially display one's qualifications in various languages via national exams?

HTH

Nan

Brenda - Did you do the common app? I listed my older one's courses by subject, also, for both CC and his 4-year college, but I am worried about using that strategy for youngest because he is going to have to use the common app and doesn't that have slots for listing the courses by year?

Nan

Nan,

All of the schools my son applied to used the Common App. I made up my own transcript for him, and on the homeschool supplement form where it has you list course names, date, and grades, I just put in each section "see transcript with secondary school report".

My son's courses did not neatly fit into their form, and just listing the name of one textbook wasn't enough to accurately describe the course. After the 1 page transcript, I included an 8 page course description document. It included name of the course, where taught (he did some @cc and others at home), instructor (if it was an outside person), and 3 - 4 sentence description of the course, and a list of all the materials used for the course.

HTH,

Brenda

Phew! It seems that a number of people have done this and it is fine. That is a relief. GRIN Textbook: Mohawks. Textbook: Nipponzan Myohoji monks and plane tickets to Narita temple in Japan. Textbook: A tromp through Switzerland/Germany/France. Textbook: Whatever Université de Lausanne supplied. Textbook: The Aeneid. At least the textbooks for math, physics, and chem are ordinary community college textbooks. I feel sooo much better about that stupid common app now. If I can do that, it might actually be of some use, if the one-and-done method doesn't work. I wish I had some idea if he is totally dreaming or if he is being entirely reasonable in his choice. I and every other 11th grade parent, probably. Thank goodness for the cc transfer fallback option. He'd be disappointed, but not devastated, since he'd have another shot at all his choices.

Nan

Nan

Well, that is just nuts. At least for foreign language. My kids will be continuing their language studies after AP through reading and exchange, but there simply are no more classes to take after AP. Not even at the CC. It would have to be a 4-yr university to offer classes after that, but I wouldn't want to pile on more classes during the year (not to mention the commute), and I'd want them doing something like, say, visiting the country where the language is spoken over a conversation class in the summer. I'm also considering a gap year in one of the countries for them.

Do remember -- the college accepts the WHOLE student, not bits and pieces.

When dd1 was entering her senior year of high school, she decided to not do a science class senior year. Dh and i were not happy about this, so I called a bunch of the colleges she was interested in and asked. All of the colleges except her backup said that it was not a problem. Her backup? Uh-oh! But dd was adamant so she applied with three sciences and only one lab.

She was accepted to all her not-ridiculously-stretch schools, but the punch line is this -- the school that told her that it would not accept her with only one lab science not only accepted her but accepted her into its special program for top freshman applicants. We scratched our heads over this -- the difference between her acceptance letter and my phone conversation with the admissions people made no sense.

Then I realized that her application showed her entire track record, which included two science SAT-2's and two science AP's in addition to everything else. She was NOT weak in science, but my conversation with the admissions people wasn't about her AP and SAT-2's but solely about her labs. The admissions people were pleased with her TOTAL application, though they may have been less than thrilled with her one lab.

I would say to relax and let the dust settle where it may. If your kids have two AP foreign language scores, I just don't see a college rejecting them because they didn't have four years of a foreign language!

We discovered that in order to get useful information out of an admissions office, we pretty much had to give them a transcript or talk to them in person so we could describe things fully. We tried keeping the questions simple and so as not to overwhelm them with information, but the answers were not very useful unless they had all that information.

Nan

For German, consider having them take the B1 or B2 exams through Goethe Institute. These have reading, writing, listening and even speaking components. I think these are harder than AP and also show a progression in the language beyond the initial test if you take several.

I would love to see people be more specific with their sources too. I was at the Cincinnati conference this weekend and had one of the college prep speakers (Jean Burk) adamantly insist that APs could only be taken by juniors and seniors. Even when I stayed after and tried to get her to clarify, she insisted that APs were not an option for younger students. Finally I got her to explain that this was based on what the school principals she consults with tell her. So it seems that she was taking a requirment from schools or districts and making an overarching rule out of it. (I didn't bother with going to her booth after this.)

When I was at the College Board booth, I mentioned this and the reps there confirmed that there was no age requirement or grade minimum from College Board for taking AP courses or AP tests.

For German, consider having them take the B1 or B2 exams through Goethe Institute. These have reading, writing, listening and even speaking components. I think these are harder than AP and also show a progression in the language beyond the initial test if you take several.

Yes, these are the same tests the Saturday School administers (Sprachdiplom). I think they have A2/B1/B2 levels available there.

We are in the same boat with French. Even though dd has taken French since she was five, 6th grade is labeled French 1 up to 12th grade being French 7. I think French 5 is when AP is taken, so we will do that in 10th grade. Then French 6 will be "cultural studies" and French 7 will be "literature studies". I want the AP out of the way early.

I'm still working out the details and may be off on French 5 being AP year. Our state requirements for the main state school says three years of foreign language based on the state recommended high school diploma plan. So, we're making sure we get that. I may drop French in 12th grade if we decide not to pursue French studies at the university level.

All the middle schools that grant credit have a disclaimer that the credits only carry forward if you have completed the required courses in high school. So, for algebra 1 to count in middle school you need to be in calculus in 12th grade. You still must take the four years of math. The extra credit is an elective. You dont' get to take algebra 1 in middle school just to ease the work load in high school. It is to allow accelerated students to, well, accelerate, not ease up.

We will not be counting high school level work completed in 8th grade. The reason for this is that our children will complete 27-29 high school credits (one of the boys is likely to have 32) at graduation. Since their progression of math, foreign language, and science will clearly show that the prerequisites were likely completed prior to high school and they will already have more credits than is typical (20 -22 credits for high school graduation is the norm for our local schools), on top of which they will have completed several MIT opencourseware offerings as part of these credits, we feel it isn't necessary.

In our area also, students who complete algebra, 1st year foreign language, or other high school level work in the 8th grade do not receive credit for it. Now, I do know there are some states and schools in which credit is given and 5th year is notated on the transcript. But, that is not the case for our entire tri-county area (I checked), so we felt it would be a nick against our children's homeschool transcripts. Two of the institutions dd applied to specifically said in their homeschooling information to NOT include 8th grade work. They only wanted to see what had been completed in the last four years of education and they were quite adamant about it.

Faith