Menu

Is there value in finding a good program to continue handwriting practice beyond 6th?

I was originally planning to just have my rising 7th grader practice her cursive on her writing assignments but she really prefers print.

Is there any purpose to having her continue to work in cursive? It's a skill I'd like for her to have, but beyond a dedicated handwriting curriculum (we've been using ARFH - it ends with 6thg = book F) I'm not sure how to give her any real "practice".

I'm also not sure I want to continue to devote precious "subject time" to it in 7th when I want to add in a few other skill sets.

I know I could just find some practice sheets online etc but I wondered what the consensus of thought is on this - or if there is a consensus? ;)

NOTE: I edited this to link to the cursive version. I accidentally linked to a manuscript version in my first post. Sorry

Does she need practice? Is her writing readable? My son will continue to need handwriting practice for quite a while.

I am using this:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kimberly-garcia/a-classical-copybook-for-the-upper-grammar-and-early-logic-stage-student-covering-early-modern-history-cursive-models/paperback/product-527495.html

A Classical Copybook Covering Early Modern History for the Upper Grammar & Early Logic Stage.

It is basically cursive copywork with passages from famous authors (George Washington, James Baldwin, Thomas Paine, etc.) about early modern history. It is much more "grown-up" than a cursive program and of greater interest due to the history content.

Edited by Kalmia

I think she does still need practice. It's readable only because we've worked hard on it this year. My concern is that if she isn't using it regularly, she'll lose her hard work and it will look like chicken scratch if she's ever called upon to use it in the future! ;)

Thanks for the link! I really like the look of that copywork book - I wish it was based on Medieval history though because we'll be working through that next year. I suppose I could just have her practice writing passages from the literature selections we'll be using. I just like the idea of it already being planned out and in a separate book.

For note-taking and speed, cursive is better.

My ds preferred print and grumbled a little about switching over to all cursive this year but now he just uses cursive and with speed;) If they do not practice cursive across the curriculum, they will not gain mastery of it and hence not prefer it. It takes a little perserverence. He also happens to have nicer cursive.

Oh my gosh, I love the thought of this! Do you have any pix? I want to see inside, I want to see samples. My fingers are itching to buy it. My dd might be too old (7th grade) but I want it.

NOTE: I edited this to link to the cursive version. I accidentally linked to a manuscript version in my first post. Sorry

Does she need practice? Is her writing readable? My son will continue to need handwriting practice for quite a while.

I am using this:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kimberly-garcia/a-classical-copybook-for-the-upper-grammar-and-early-logic-stage-student-covering-early-modern-history-cursive-models/paperback/product-527495.html

A Classical Copybook Covering Early Modern History for the Upper Grammar & Early Logic Stage.

It is basically cursive copywork with passages from famous authors (George Washington, James Baldwin, Thomas Paine, etc.) about early modern history. It is much more "grown-up" than a cursive program and of greater interest due to the history content.

Library Lover,

I don't have any pictures but here is a list of some of the passages in the first chapter. There are many more. The book contains a mix of stories, speeches and poetry. The passages are between 3-5 (long) sentences each.There are spaces to practice each passage 4 times then they are supposed to be written from dictation.

Captain John Smith by Richard G. Parker

A White Boy among the Indians by Edward Eggleston

The Pine-Tree Shillings by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Sir Issac Newton by Nathaniel Hawthorne

King Philip to White Settler by Edward Everett

King Charles II and William Penn by Mason I Weems

The Whistle by Benjamin Franklin

Young Benjamin Franklin by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Little Lord Sold into Bondage by Edward Eggleston

The Story of Peter Williamson--Twice a Slave by Edward Eggleston

The Intrepid Youth (about George Washington)

Franklin's Wonderful Kite by James Baldwin

Grandmother Bear (about Indian Culture

The Good Reader about Frederick the Great

Boston Tea Party

The Midnight Ride

The Young Scout (Andrew Jackson)

The Capture of Major Andre (about Benedict Arnold)

Webster and Woodchuck (about Daniel Webster)

Benedict Arnold

Old Johnny Appleseed

Napoleon's Army Crossing the Alps

A Foot Race for Life (Lewis and Clark)

Two example passages:

A Letter to James Madison by Thomas Jefferson

"I will now tell you what I do not like. First, the omission of a bill of rights, providing clearly, and without the aid of sophism, for freedom of religion, freedom of the press, protection against standingn armies, restriction of monopolies, the eternal and unremitting force of the habeas corpus, and trials by jury in all matters of fact triable by the laws of the land, and not by the laws of nations."

Napoleon's Army Crossing the Alps from A Sander's Union Reader

"When halfway up the summit, a rumbling noise was heard among the cliffs. The guides looked at each other in alarm for they knew well what it meant. It grew louder and louder. "An avalanche! An avalanche!" they shrieked, and the next moment a field of ice and snow came leaping down the mountain, striking the line of march, and sweeping thirty dragoons in a wild plunge below."

I downloaded it. It's not exactly my political bent, lol, but I think it will work. :) We are doing WWS, but this will be a good supplement. Thanks. I like the literary questions quite a bit. And doh, I thought the copy work was in cursive. lol

Still, I think it's $13 well spent. I will fill you in as we get into it. Thanks for the posting!

LibraryLover,

I checked my link to make sure it went to the right book: A Classical Copybook covering Early Modern History 1600-1850 for the Upper Grammar & Early Logic Stage by Kimberly D. Garcia, because the info in your last post did not match the book I have.

The book I have doesn't seem to have any political bent beyond a reference to the "Heavenly Father" on the acknowledgments page and the copywork is in cursive, and it is not available as a download, but as a print book for $21.

I wonder if you downloaded a different book?

LibraryLover,

I checked my link to make sure it went to the right book: A Classical Copybook covering Early Modern History 1600-1850 for the Upper Grammar & Early Logic Stage by Kimberly D. Garcia, because the info in your last post did not match the book I have.

The book I have doesn't seem to have any political bent beyond a reference to the "Heavenly Father" on the acknowledgments page, and the copywork is in cursive. It has no literary questions, only copywork, and it is not available as a download, but as a print book for $21.

I wonder if you downloaded a different book? She has many.

Is there value in finding a good program to continue handwriting practice beyond 6th?

My daughter is in college now after having been homeschooled since 7th grade. I have only two regrets -- one, not having spent more time covering Geography and two, not having spent more time on handwriting. (Can you guess my answer to your question?)

Regards,

Kareni

I really like the look of that copywork book - I wish it was based on Medieval history though because we'll be working through that next year. I suppose I could just have her practice writing passages from the literature selections we'll be using. I just like the idea of it already being planned out and in a separate book.

Here you go: Write From Medieval History Level 2 in Cursive.

The book I have doesn't seem to have any political bent beyond a reference to the "Heavenly Father" on the acknowledgments page, and the copywork is in cursive. It has no literary questions, only copywork, and it is not available as a download, but as a print book for $21.

It is available as a download from currclick.

My 7th grade student NEEDS handwriting practice because her handwriting is TERRIBLE. We haven't really used a handwriting program in 7th grade, and her handwriting has devolved since last year when we did handwriting every day, so I will be using a program next year in 8th grade, even if it's just copywork. Thanks to the previous post-ers for the great links!

Edited by ereks mom

I really like the looks of Garcia's books, and I was happy that there is a choice for G-D Italics style too. For my 8th grade dd studying modern history, there is a G-D book available for the price of $23. Very cool! Thanks for the recommendation.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I learned cursive in 3rd grade, and was required to use it until 6th grade. I hated cursive. I went back to print in 6th when I started taking notes in.classes. By 8th grade we were typing most projects. I only needed cursive to sign my name.

If you fill out a form, it always says print or type. Most communication is typed now. If she Hayes cursive, let her print. Practice signing her name. I can take notes in print faster than many people can in cursive.

It is not something I would stress over. Teach her to type, and have her type assignments. Typing speed and accuracy is more important for real life than cursive.

• 3 months later...
I learned cursive in 3rd grade, and was required to use it until 6th grade. I hated cursive. I went back to print in 6th when I started taking notes in.classes. By 8th grade we were typing most projects. I only needed cursive to sign my name.

Me too!

If you fill out a form, it always says print or type. Most communication is typed now. If she Hayes cursive, let her print. Practice signing her name. I can take notes in print faster than many people can in cursive.

It is not something I would stress over. Teach her to type, and have her type assignments. Typing speed and accuracy is more important for real life than cursive.

:iagree:

I was originally planning to just have my rising 7th grader practice her cursive on her writing assignments but she really prefers print.

Is there any purpose to having her continue to work in cursive? It's a skill I'd like for her to have, but beyond a dedicated handwriting curriculum (we've been using ARFH - it ends with 6thg = book F) I'm not sure how to give her any real "practice".

I'm also not sure I want to continue to devote precious "subject time" to it in 7th when I want to add in a few other skill sets.

I know I could just find some practice sheets online etc but I wondered what the consensus of thought is on this - or if there is a consensus? ;)

You can give her practice by having her do all of her work in cursive. That is how they did it when I was in school:) That is how I did it with my ds and it only took about 2-3 months. Now he chooses and prefers cursive and writes much quicker and neater than print (and he had fine motor issues and great difficulties with writing).

IMO 10 to 15 minutes a day from Kindergarten on (the sooner the better) and then switching them over in 3rd or 4th grade is not stress:) My ds complained a bit when I switched him over at the beginning of the last school but now he prefers ans excels at cursive despite his previously hating writing and having fine motor issues.

It's not always true that cursive is faster than print when taking notes. I can print faster and neater than I write in cursive (and I was required to write in cursive through elementary and junior high).

My older kids take notes in print, though dd17's has some cursive flourishes.

It's not always true that cursive is faster than print when taking notes. I can print faster and neater than I write in cursive (and I was required to write in cursive through elementary and junior high).

My older kids take notes in print, though dd17's has some cursive flourishes.

I would ask if you had significant weekly practice with cursive during highschool as well. I did and therein might lie the difference in most cases. When I was in school, we wrote everything in cursive till the end of highschool. Now for my son, I am teaching key boarding as well since this will be required in school for papers but I plan on him practicing on an almost daily practice. He already is much faster than he was with print.

But why would I continue taking slow notes in cursive if I was able to take very fast, clear notes in printing? Shouldn't the student, by secondary level, be allowed to choose the preferred note-taking method?

That is your choice and I respect that. I am just saying that I would encourage all students to take the little time and effort to truly master it. When I switched ds over he preferred print as well and was slow at cursive for several months but now he writes like a breeze:) I realize everyone is different but I am just thinking that there is a good chance that with adequate practice in cursive that most people would be able to write quicker IMO. I think adequate practice is key and I am not so sure that has occurred for many students in decades. I went to school in the sixties and seventies. I also had an old school marm teach me cursive with methods from days of old in 4th grade and afterwards we were expected to use it. I honestly think our schools should go back to cursive first, starting in kindergarten as they did 100 years ago or so since technically is easier to form cursive letters.

My 2 cents:)

Edited by priscilla
clarify