Menu

Beginner Aerobic Exercise Video Suggestions

Can someone please suggest an excercise video for a 40 something mom who has not seriously exercised in 10 years. I really believe my super low energy is caused by my lack of real exercise. I do occasionally walk but I've even let that go.

I have thought of joining an exercise class at the community center, but before I do that I would like to do something at home to build up my stamina.

I don't know where to begin??? I checked Amazon and did a few google searches and was overwhelmed. I do know that I am more likely to do something if I enjoy it.

I'm looking for something with some upbeat perky music (no rap or hip hop) but other music is fine. Do you have something you like?

I was at doctor and I told her I wanted to exercise more, she said I should and everything health wise is fine.

I could sure use some suggestions...I do not know who all these exercise video gurus are...I don't watch much tv so it is lost on me.

Thanks!

I like the Firm videos. They always have a person doing the Beginner option along with the regular option. You can find some of them at Walmart and Target.

Pensguys: I saw those and wondered about them. I am on their website now reading about them. Do you use weights when you do your exercising? The Dr. suggested that I should do some weight bearing exercise to reduce my chance of bone loss. This looks interesting, thanks!

KSGrace: Your link you gave looks great, I will read more on it later. thank you!

Pensguys: I saw those and wondered about them. I am on their website now reading about them. Do you use weights when you do your exercising? The Dr. suggested that I should do some weight bearing exercise to reduce my chance of bone loss. This looks interesting, thanks!

I sure do! :) Each video will tell you if you need light weights or if it is more of a toning/weight video, they will tell you everything you need to know (using medium, light, etc). Some are JUST cardio and some are cardio with light weights which ups the cardio.

I found a couple of them at Walmart. I especially like the Walk Away the Pounds set -- comes with a 1 mile (20 min), 2 mile (31 min), and 3 mile (46 min) workout. My set came with 2 lb. water weights, but you could do it without or with light hand weights. I LOVE Leslie's motivating, simple, and efficient workouts.

don't get discouraged if you can't complete the video the first time.

Whenever I would begin exercising again after a baby, I would never be able to get through videos I had previously breezed through!

I would start with 15-20 minutes, or tone down the moves, like not raise my arms so much, until I rebuilt my stamina.

You mentioned it has been awhile since you exercised, so I just wanted to prepare you :001_smile:

Happy exercising!

You're gonna feel great!

I love exercise videos. I have quite a collection! The Firm are great--but if you haven't exercised in 10 years, go easy on yourself. I think that the newer Firms are much easier than the older ones. Still, you probably won't be able to do the whole work-out at first. You can add the weights after you get familiar with things. I'd start with the videos that don't require a lot of equipment. If you like the general feel of the Firm, you could order more later.

Leslie Sansone is what I use to ease back into things after a C-section or illness--nice and easy, and she has longer videos, too, if you like this style.

There's also another series by the original Firm creators. They're more like the original Firm. There are a set of more advanced work-outs and a set of (still really good) less intense work-outs. They can be found here:

http://www.whfn.com/press/pr_mousetrap.php

I hope that works. It stands for "Women's Health and Fitness Network."

Just remember to start slowly and try not to get discouraged.

Good luck!

Oh, and Penny, I saw on another thread that you went to the Firm studios. How was that? Inspiring? Motivating? I bet it was great!

Can someone please suggest an excercise video for a 40 something mom who has not seriously exercised in 10 years. I really believe my super low energy is caused by my lack of real exercise. I do occasionally walk but I've even let that go.

I have thought of joining an exercise class at the community center, but before I do that I would like to do something at home to build up my stamina.

I don't know where to begin??? I checked Amazon and did a few google searches and was overwhelmed. I do know that I am more likely to do something if I enjoy it.

I'm looking for something with some upbeat perky music (no rap or hip hop) but other music is fine. Do you have something you like?

I was at doctor and I told her I wanted to exercise more, she said I should and everything health wise is fine.

I could sure use some suggestions...I do not know who all these exercise video gurus are...I don't watch much tv so it is lost on me.

Thanks!

I've got to third the Leslie Sansone videos. They go from light & easy to fairly intense. The moves are easy enough to do, but you can vary the intensity. They are really great if you can mute them and watch or listen to something else (she's a bit perky for me in the morning :001_huh:).

I want to thank you all for your suggestions and support. :001_smile:

I also appreciate the advice to go slow, I am pretty well aware that 10 minutes into it I am going to croak :D but knowing that I should keep going will keep me motivated to come back to it. I really have to do this, so thanks bunches!

Here's another vote for Leslie Sansone. After reading about them here, I got a couple of the one mile walks from the library. I hate to exercise and had done nothing of the sort for a long while. The one mile walks were perfect to begin with. They are only 15-17 minutes and with the music it went really quick (for exercise that is :glare:). I have yet to get in a good routine, but they have upped my energy and I feel good that I've walked a mile!

don't get discouraged if you can't complete the video the first time.

:iagree::iagree: The newer videos (Firm) have an "Express" Option which is 25 min. Even if you can't finish that, it is fine. They will tell you if you're just starting to not use weights until you know the moves.

When your doctor says "weight bearing exercise" this does not mean strength training/use of weights. It means an exercise where you are bearing your own weight. Walking, hiking, running, eliptical machine, aerobics (high or low impact), jumping rope, tennis, etc are "weight bearing" exercises. Swimming, cycling, water aerobics, etc are not. Doctors push weight bearing exercises for women over 40 because they decrease your risk of osteoporosis. You have to be stressing the bone in order to build it up.

As far as videos go, I really like the Tae Bo videos. You work hard without a lot of complicated moves. I need something straight-forward.

Get yourself over to http://www.collagevideo.com pronto! You can find exactly what you're looking for for your fitness level, your goals, your age, your personal style.

The firm videos are ok; the older ones give an INCREDIBLE workout, while the newer ones are, well, I don't like them that much. ;-) I use the older, original #1 Firm (Total Body Workout with Susan Harris). I use 5, 8, and 10 pound weights.

A nice beginner option is the Leslie Sansone videos; I prefer the 3 Mile Weight Loss walk to any of her Walk Away the Pounds videos. Her constant chatter is irritating to some, but she'll keep you moving at a brisk pace and incorporate some very light strength training. Nice.

If you decide on separate aerobic and strength videos (as opposed to the aero/tone style of Firm and WATP), I would highly recommend Trim and Tone Fast by Self http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/self-magazine-trim-and-tone-fast-7886.

Feel free to ask questions, and GOOD LUCK!

If I havent exercised for a while and need to start at beginning. I always start with Richard Simmons, I love the music, he has disco and broadway. I can work better with those tunes.

I than work my way up to Tae Bo. I did buy Sansone and Firm recently. I am not too hip on marching in place for twenty minutes. I need something to do. But I do like the fact that it tells you how far you walked. When I reach a mile , I feel great.

I use it with DD, she has to walk 1.5 mi, twice a wk. Its way too hot outside so we use this video.

Hope helps,

Jet

It comes with 3 workouts and the first one is really good at easing into exercise. You work out 6 days a week for 6 weeks. The website is here.

The moves are not complicated. The only equipment you need is resistance bands, and they came with my DVDs.

I've really increased my strength and endurance and toned up a lot in 6 weeks. I noticed real results in how my clothes fit within about 2-3 weeks.

The firm videos are ok; the older ones give an INCREDIBLE workout, while the newer ones are, well, I don't like them that much. ;-)

I consider the older ones "different", not necessarily "better". But she needs something easier to get her started so jumping into the older Firm videos would be hard, but doable.