Menu

Apologize For Having Sons?

*headdesk*

I swear, some ppl are just...odd.

Emailed w/someone whose dd I used to mind. She now has 3 dd. I caught her up on our newest addition, move, etc.

She commented on me having 3 ds, 2 dd..."Must be nice. I didn't get even ONE son."

:001_huh:

I mean, what the heck? Am I supposed to apologize here? I didn't realize that my having 3 sons had anything to do w/her having all girls, for pity sakes!

Actually, I can see myself saying something similar, but about your girls - I have four boys and would have loved a girl (so much so that I'm actually looking forward to having daughter-in-laws). I definitely wouldn't want you to apologise for having daughters though, I'd want to hear all about the lovely girly fun you have together.

Cassy

*headdesk*

Emailed w/someone whose dd I used to mind. She now has 3 dd. I caught her up on our newest addition, move, etc.

She commented on me having 3 ds, 2 dd..."Must be nice. I didn't get even ONE son."

I mean, what the heck? Am I supposed to apologize here? I didn't realize that my having 3 sons had anything to do w/her having all girls, for pity sakes!

Tell her I said to suck it up. I didn't get a daughter. The suck it up attitude might be why, though :tongue_smilie:.

Some folks aren't grateful for their blessings.

We have two boys - sure I'd love a girl, but at my age, it's not going to happen. We're friends with a couple that has two girls - the husband is seriously pressuring his wife to have another baby. But not just have another - he wants her to undergo IVF with sperm sorting and PGD to pick the embryos that are boys! She doesn't want another baby. He's actually threatening to divorce her now because she won't do it and he wants a boy. He has two absolutely beautiful girls, a gorgeous wife, and he is insistent that if she doesn't do it, he'll walk.

Actually, I can see myself saying something similar, but about your girls - I have four boys and would have loved a girl (so much so that I'm actually looking forward to having daughter-in-laws). I definitely wouldn't want you to apologise for having daughters though, I'd want to hear all about the lovely girly fun you have together.

Cassy

Tell her I said to suck it up. I didn't get a daughter. The suck it up attitude might be why, though :tongue_smilie:.

Funny thing...Parenting girls makes me far more nervous than boys. I grew up w/3 brothers, pretty much all the babysitting I did was for boys, and I have a lousy relationship w/my mother. Worry a LOT about screwing up my daughters.

Some folks aren't grateful for their blessings.

We have two boys - sure I'd love a girl, but at my age, it's not going to happen. We're friends with a couple that has two girls - the husband is seriously pressuring his wife to have another baby. But not just have another - he wants her to undergo IVF with sperm sorting and PGD to pick the embryos that are boys! She doesn't want another baby. He's actually threatening to divorce her now because she won't do it and he wants a boy. He has two absolutely beautiful girls, a gorgeous wife, and he is insistent that if she doesn't do it, he'll walk.

What an a$$ :glare:

We're friends with a couple that has two girls - the husband is seriously pressuring his wife to have another baby. But not just have another - he wants her to undergo IVF with sperm sorting and PGD to pick the embryos that are boys! She doesn't want another baby. He's actually threatening to divorce her now because she won't do it and he wants a boy. He has two absolutely beautiful girls, a gorgeous wife, and he is insistent that if she doesn't do it, he'll walk.

Wow. :001_huh::001_huh: Gob-smacked is the word that comes to mind.

[/b]

I dunno...I would have absolutely taken that as one of jokey things that people say to fill conversational space. It would probably not have occurred to me that she was serious, or that I should be offended. Could she have been joking? Sometimes things like that don't come through very well via email.

That's a horrible thing to say on both ends. Aren't girls good enough? :confused:

I'm grateful to have all my kids.

I dunno...I would have absolutely taken that as one of jokey things that people say to fill conversational space. It would probably not have occurred to me that she was serious, or that I should be offended. Could she have been joking? Sometimes things like that don't come through very well via email.

B/c I've known and worked for her for a while, I'd say this def wasn't a joke. She was not pleased to find out that Baby #2 was a girl.

You can't tell the tone behind the message, so I would just respond in a sorta flippant way and let it go. "Yes, in some countries I would be worth many goats!" :D

:lol:

You can't tell the tone behind the message, so I would just respond in a sorta flippant way and let it go. "Yes, in some countries I would be worth many goats!" :D

:iagree:I agree with this. I would chalk it up to one of those problems translating thoughts through e-mail and leave it at that.

I *love* the goat comment!! :lol::lol:

*headdesk*

You don't apologize as in it is your fault for having sons. You apologize as in extending empathy; she wanted a son and didn't get one. So I'd say something like, "Awww. I'm sorry! Maybe you will have a great son in law some day!"

she needs to get over herself - even if just for her daughters sake.

My grandmother was one of TEN girls (no boys), and lack of boys affected my grandmother - boys were overly fawned over . . .