Menu

Castile soap brands

I've used both Dr. Bronner's and Desert Essence brands, I honestly can't tell the difference.

I have not used Dr. Woods castile soap, but I love their Pure Black Soap. I use it as hand soap and shower gel, it smells heavenly!

Hey, guys, where do you buy Dr. Bronner's and Dr. Woods?

I have a son with severe exzema and the black soap by Dr. Woods sounds a possibility. I like the sound of the tingly pepermint, too, for me. Does anywhere common sell several scents? I've got Walmart and Target nearby, Wegman's and Whole Foods a bit of a drive.

Any more folks having tried both and prefer one brand over the other?

Thanks for any more info.

I use Dr. Bronner's and didn't even know their were other brands. I have been using DB for my shampoo for two years and am totally happy with it and the price is super economical. I buy a 32 oz bottle at Fred Meyer's for $15.00 or less if it's on sale, dilute it 1/1 so I have two bottles and I'm good to go for 6 months! Well worth the price. :)

ETA: I did some checking and it looks like Dr. Woods is not a concentrate, at least I'm not seeing anywhere that says that it is. If that's the case then the price is going to be about the same or actually cheaper because Dr. Bronners is a concentrate. In fact it says all over the product to dilute. So right now on Amazon a bottle of Dr Woods Almond is $6.97 for 32 oz and the same size of Dr. Bronners is 9.67 but since most applications call for at least a 1/1 dilution its actually $4.83.

Edited by JustGin

Hey, guys, where do you buy Dr. Bronner's and Dr. Woods?

I have a son with severe exzema and the black soap by Dr. Woods sounds a possibility. I like the sound of the tingly pepermint, too, for me. Does anywhere common sell several scents? I've got Walmart and Target nearby, Wegman's and Whole Foods a bit of a drive.

Any more folks having tried both and prefer one brand over the other?

Thanks for any more info.

You can also check Vitacost.com--their prices are the best I've found, but only if you don't mind waiting for delivery and are ordering enough to avoid paying shipping ($50 or more, I think). I buy lots there, so it works for us. They also participate with Ebates.com, if you do that.

ETA: I did some checking and it looks like Dr. Woods is not a concentrate, at least I'm not seeing anywhere that says that it is. If that's the case then the price is going to be about the same or actually cheaper because Dr. Bronners is a concentrate.

This is EXACTLY what I was wondering ... I tried Dr. Woods first because that is all that my local health food store had in stock. But when I tried to dilute it, like I've read that you can do with Dr. Bronner's, it seemed soooo runny.

The Dr. Woods label says to use undiluted for showers/baths, to dilute 1:4 for cleaning surfaces, and 2 - 4 oz. four laundry (depending on load size). How much do you dilute Dr. Bronner's for these uses?

So what do you use Dr. Bronner's for?

I thought it was for household cleaning, but then someone said something about shampoo. Can you use it on wood?

What all can you use it on?

Pretty much everything. I do use it on wood, very well diluted. I even use it in my laundry (with washing soda and borax). The only thing I haven't liked it for was washing dishes by hand (leaves lots of spots), but you can use it for that in a pinch. Lots of people take it camping, because it's so versatile--you can even brush your teeth with it, though it doesn't taste good. I don't use it as shampoo unless I'm desperate though, because I'm picky about my hair :lol: