Menu

another baby shower question :)

So, I'm pregnant with my 3rd child. My first two are 10 years apart...a boy and then a girl. I had a shower with my first as he was my first, and a shower with my second as she was my first girl. This is my second boy, but realistically I don't have a lot of boy stuff saved from 13 years ago :)

First, a shower is ok, right?

Second, my sister is also pregnant. She and my best friend from back home, and my mom, chipped in and did my shower for my daughter. But I don't feel right asking her to do that again when she is pregnant too and due the same week I am. Or is that fine? I partnered with her best friend to do her shower...and she is having another girl and they will be less than 2 years apart. I know that normally a shower isn't done then, but they do need things as the first daughter is still using some of the stuff, lol. Plus, I don't want to have a shower and her not, that is mean.

So, do we throw eachother showers again? Do a group shower, even though we know very different people? Figure something else out?

Any thoughts? I know it is self centered, but I REALLY want a shower! I LOVE LOVE LOVE showers, and want one for me! (I love the games and the fun mom time, not just the gifts.)

I don't know what protocol is but I thing a big shower for the two of you would be lots of fun. People don't have to bring you both presents. If I were coming I would bring you something fabulous and a little something for your sister as well. :D

alot depeneds upon the group you mingle with.

The group I move in gives showers for subsequent pregnancies. etiquette says you only shower for something you are inexperienced in (re: first marriage, first baby, etc.) - meaning, change the name to something else to get around the 'first' rule for subsequent ones. ;)

do you have a friend to host a shower for you? you don't throw one for yourself, and it is tacky for your family to throw one for you as well.

happy showering.

I don't know what protocol is but I thing a big shower for the two of you would be lots of fun. People don't have to bring you both presents. If I were coming I would bring you something fabulous and a little something for your sister as well. :D

:iagree:

I think it would be fun to do a joint shower :)

I hope this wasn't a jawm post (if so, don't read on....)

Personally, I wouldn't feel right asking anyone to throw me a shower, pregnant or not. I also don't think your sister or mother should throw you a shower. I also don't think whether you have what you need has anything to do with it.

It is fun to be the star of a shower. I get that. But I also think it's a one time deal. It's fun to be a bride, too, but I can't imagine throwing another wedding, for example. ;)

In my circle showers are done for subsequent babies. And they are almost always thrown by family. The one's I've been to have been the grandparents throwing it usually. No one bats an eye.

The friend that would like to do this for me lives too far away, and is cash strapped. My friends here are different...we are in a moms group but I don't have a bestest friend anymore. We only moved here a few years ago, and I'm home with the kids so much, you know?

Yeah, I think it would be fun to do something for both you and your sister together! :)

IMO, etiquette rules on this are just silly. No family can throw a shower? Give me a break... that's what we always do here, and honestly, who is going to do the shower if family doesn't? (In a lot of circumstances, anyway) And no showers for subsequent babies? Again, give me a break... stuff is still needed. It's fun to celebrate, no matter what # the baby is! Etiquette is 100% old fuddy duddy on this one... :tongue_smilie:

I hope this wasn't a jawm post (if so, don't read on....)

Personally, I wouldn't feel right asking anyone to throw me a shower, pregnant or not. I also don't think your sister or mother should throw you a shower. I also don't think whether you have what you need has anything to do with it.

It is fun to be the star of a shower. I get that. But I also think it's a one time deal. It's fun to be a bride, too, but I can't imagine throwing another wedding, for example. ;)

Yeah, I would never ask for somebody to throw me a shower. It's just like asking for presents or something. If somebody offers, that's great....although my MIL and mom offered to for this baby and my last one and I turned them down. Even though there was a huge gap in my pregnancies and I could've used some stuff it just didn't feel right. At this point in my life I feel like I should be prepared (even though this pregnancy was a surprise and we totally weren't).

Then again, we don't have room for a lot of baby stuff and we don't really want a bunch of things we aren't going to use. The baby will sleep with us, so we don't need a crib or bassinet. I'll be breastfeeding do we don't need bottles or formula. I have my old sling so we don't need a stroller, etc etc.

neither of you would have a shower.

In my circles, it WOULD be appropriate for aunts or cousins to throw a shower for a first baby, or possibly a subsequent child of the opposite sex (MAYBE even sisters), but never moms. Moms and mothers-in-law are always honored guests with the moms at showers around here.

In any circle, I don't think it's appropriate to ask someone to throw you a shower.