Menu

Broadway musical or play- recommendations

Download, if you can, the tkts app. tkts sells discounted Broadway and off-Broadway tickets, and the app shows the tickets available in each booth. (There are 3: Times Square, Brooklyn, and another in the financial distric in Manhattan.)

Today, in Times Square, I am seeing Mary Poppins, Chicago, Anything Goes, End of the Rainbow, A Streetcare Named Desire, Ghost, Godspell, Clybourne Park, How to Succeed in Business, Jesus Christ Superstar, Leap of Faith, Magic Bird, Mama Mia, Memphis, Once: A New Musical, One Man, Two Guvnors, Other Desert Citites, Peter and The Starcatcher, Porgy and Bess, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Rock of Ages, Seminar, Sister Act, The Best Man, The Columnist, Phantom of the Opera, The Lyons, Venus in Fur, War Horse.

The Book of Mormon, and Lion King are never discounted, and Book of Mormon is sold out for the next year, I believe.

You line up at a booth (the TS booth having the longest line) and buy your tickets. There is always something good to see, and discounted. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Loved Wicked. Nice Work If You Can Get It, with Matthew Broderick is new. If you're a Brooke Shields fan, she's Morticia in the Addams Family. My kids all recently saw Spider Man and loved it. (Are you bringing kids?)

I vote the Matthew Broderick, but I love him :) We saw Addams Family and really disliked it. What a waste of money. We liked Mary Poppins a lot, but if it's just you and dh I'd skip that one.

Loved Wicked. Nice Work If You Can Get It, with Matthew Broderick is new. If you're a Brooke Shields fan, she's Morticia in the Addams Family. My kids all recently saw Spider Man and loved it. (Are you bringing kids?)

No kids. We are celebrating our anniversary. It's been 7 years since our last weekend by ourselves.

Any other NYC rec's for our weekend besides a show? I'd like to see some museums and of course eat our way through NY. :tongue_smilie:

Guest ShellyP

If you can I recommend The Book Of Mormon. Parker and Stone are genius'. Witty, good music, and of course slapstick comedy you come to expect from the Southpark duo. It is incredibly hard to get tickets, but not impossible if you know someone. Our friend works for a ticket agency and was able to get us two tickets. I feel that Broadway has several good shows going on at the moment. Wicked, Spider-man, Book of Mormon are my top three recommendations, not necessarily in that order. Good luck, you will have a blast if this is your first experience with a show on Broadway.

:iagree:

:) We saw Addams Family and really disliked it. What a waste of money.

Ditto.

We're chomping at the bit here to see Jesus Christ Superstar. My daughter has been subjecting us to video excerpts of the new production pretty much daily, and it does look amazing.

I'd like to see Book of Mormon, although it was recently announced that Gavin Creel will be doing the national tour. So, I'd be content to wait for that.

My son is dying to see Newsies. He's also interested in Peter and the Starcatcher.

We saw Memphis a couple of years ago and enjoyed it a lot. It's not a great musical, but it's fun.

The new Evita has been getting "eh" reviews, but I'd see it, anyway, if it popped up at TKTS.

My daughter loved, LOVED Priscilla, Queen of the Desert when she saw it last summer.

I wish we'd been able to catch Seminar when Alan Rickman was still there. (I don't have a lot of interest in seeing Jeff Goldblum in the role.)

If I were going this week and could have my pick of shows, I'd go with Jesus Christ Superstar, I think.

You might enjoy taking a look here: http://www.broadway.com/ There's lots of information about what's running.

In terms of other things to do, we all really enjoyed visiting The Cloisters last summer: http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/visit-the-cloisters/

And, if you happen to like Indian food, it's a lot of fun to head down to East 6th Street, where there is restaurant after restaurant.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Don't know what is playing where, but my favorites have been:

Les Miserable

Phantom Of the Opera

Miss Saigon (absolutely wonderful story and music)

Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat

Haven't seen Wicked, but everyone I talk to raves about it. Hoping to see it this summer.

Have fun!!