Menu

What to serve?

I'm having two girlfriends and one (girl) child over for dinner tomorrow for girls' night in. We will be gathering at my house after we all go to Zumba. So about 6:30. Since I'll be gone for the preceding hour I need something that I can keep warm (in the crockpot?). It is still cool here. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be mid-50s with a chance of snow after midnight.

There are no dietary restrictions. I'm just at a loss as to what to serve. The last two times we all got together there was soup/stew for both nights.

I tend to do chicken nachos for such occasions. I cook the chicken until tender, shred, then throw in the crockpot with the taco sauce on top or just salsa and let it slow cook while I'm gone. I also chop all of the veggies ahead of time. Then I only need to haul out a bag of tortilla chips, the veggies, the cheese (preshredded too), and a container of sour cream. We are all eating and happy in five minutes or less.

But, I have to admit...snow is falling lightly here today and chilli sounds mighty fine too!

Faith

I've been craving chili lime chicken in the slow cooker for a few days now. I got crazy and did chili pineapple chicken last time and that was delicious too. It's easy and yummy and then all the girls can add as many veggies and cheese and sour cream as tbhey want.

My crockpot go-to is pizza lasagna: egg noodles (cooked), layered with meat sauce, cheese, olives/pepperoni/mushrooms/peppers (whatever you like on a pizza), and repeat the layers.

Cheese gets all melty and the pot is gooey and yummy and perfect (American) comfort food.

Esp if you can throw garlic bread in the oven to boot...

Well, I think I'd want something light but somewhat hearty after working out, with some good carbs to replenish stores. I'd like some baked sweet potatoes, crockpot chicken of some sort and a green veggie of some kind- salad or green beans/brussel sprouts/broccoli. Or some chicken with roasted root veggies and a salad.

If you're in the mood for lighter fare, you might just stick a roaster chicken in the crockpot with veggies (onion, carrots, potatoes) and a few extra things like peppercorns, fresh garlic, and dill, and let it cook on low all afternoon. It'll be fall-apart ready by the time you're home, and you could serve with a fresh salad and buttered bread.

(So maybe this is only "lighter" if you weigh it. But anyway, not as heavy-feeling as pasta/cheese.)