Menu

What computer-based curriculum do you use or know of?

CatholicMom

I'm currently reviewing www.time4learning.com. It covers all the core subjects.

You choose the level for each child and they can work through as many lessons as you assign or they want. There are games, assignments, quizzes etc.

It does not fit our philosophy but it does seem easy.

I think k12 is computer based as well (with a lot more interactive non computer activities) and alpha omega has a computer based curriculum.

We use EPGY for math and language arts. We also use Exlode The Code Online. Next year, we will use ThinkWell online and Exploration Education as a CDROM. We might also use Aha! Science online.

I'm considering EPGY for language arts next year. Could you tell me what you think of it?

I'm considering EPGY for language arts next year. Could you tell me what you think of it?

We use EPGY Open Enrollment so it is just the computer program, with no live person on the other end. We have never felt the need for a person on the other end, for LA or Math. It is very direct and cut and dry. If you haven't used EPGY before, you should know that there are no bells and whistles, no cartoons, no dancing bears, etc. I think it is a very thorough program but I also think a lot of kids would get bored with it.

We use EPGY Open Enrollment so it is just the computer program, with no live person on the other end. We have never felt the need for a person on the other end, for LA or Math. It is very direct and cut and dry. If you haven't used EPGY before, you should know that there are no bells and whistles, no cartoons, no dancing bears, etc. I think it is a very thorough program but I also think a lot of kids would get bored with it.

No bells or whistles is fine here. Have you used Teaching Textbooks? Do you think it would compare to that kind of instruction? I'm looking for audio instruction, interactive exercises, and a full curriculum--not just review.

And what do you think of it?? How does it work? Which subject (if not all of them) are you using it for?

Please share. :bigear:

We have used T4L this year. This year with a senior and other things going on, I wanted a back-up plan. I didn't plan or schedule T4L. I didn't try to coordinate anything to go with it. We have just used it open and go. He does everything they offer. He works on T4L about 4x each week and rarely spends more than an hour. Even doing this light of a load, he will easily have everything finished in 36 weeks.

We do other things, so this isn't ds's only school work. We just finished CC, do other maths, more history and lit, art lessons, drama class, and music lessons. I have not been thrilled with Doodle's education this year, but at least it is getting done.

T4L does have some video and cutesy stuff and I know some kids like it, but Doodle refers to those lessons as the never shutting up lessons. It really irritates him that he can't fast forward.

I realize thus far that this hasn't been a stellar recommendation, but I will say that if I found myself in another situation where I didn't know if I would be able to cover the basics I would certainly use T4L again.

HTH-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

We're using Exploration Education for science this year. I'm thinking of K12 for science next year.

I'm signing her up for a Time4Writing 8-week class next week. I think it's affiliated with Time4Learning but set up differently (classes rather than subscription).

No bells or whistles is fine here. Have you used Teaching Textbooks? Do you think it would compare to that kind of instruction? I'm looking for audio instruction, interactive exercises, and a full curriculum--not just review.

No, I haven't used Teaching Textbooks so I can't compare. EPGY is audio with accompanying text and problems. The format for both math and LA is a brief lecture followed by questions, followed by another lecture on another topic, follow by lectures, etc. It is a full curriculum but we do supplement the math with Singapore Intensive Problems, because EPGY doesn't have many word problems. The LA is grammar and doesn't include writing. My son likes it because it is straight-forward and it also skips around on topics, so he'll do a few geometry followed by a couple of logic and then a few on integers, etc. After he finished 5th grade math, he is well-prepared to move into ThinkWell's and Art of Problem Solving's Pre-Algebra. We'll probably skip the first few lessons in ThinkWell.

Having said all of this, I do not think it would be worth the $ to do EPGY without going through the Open Enrollment Program, which is quite affordable. We have never had a need for a live-person on the other end and I honestly don't know what they would even do or how they would help.

Wow ., there's lots available.

I do like Time 4 Learning. My daughters have enjoyed it. I use it as a supplement though and not a full curriculum.

There is also :

Alpha Omega's Switched on School House

Alpha Omega's Monarch ( an online version of Switched on School House , SOS)

BJU has their Homesat program now on computer

Abeka has a computer program

K12 has a computer program

Calvert has an online program

For reading we've used

Headsprout

Reading Eggs

Starfall

There is quite a bit available out there.

Wow ., there's lots available.

I do like Time 4 Learning. My daughters have enjoyed it. I use it as a supplement though and not a full curriculum.

There is also :

Alpha Omega's Switched on School House

Alpha Omega's Monarch ( an online version of Switched on School House , SOS)

BJU has their Homesat program now on computer

Abeka has a computer program

K12 has a computer program

Calvert has an online program

For reading we've used

Headsprout

Reading Eggs

Starfall

There is quite a bit available out there.

T4L does have some video and cutesy stuff and I know some kids like it, but Doodle refers to those lessons as the never shutting up lessons.

Never shutting up lessons... :lol: That's hilarious.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now, to add another criteria...:001_smile:

How about Catholic online programs?

Alpha Omega's Monarch looks awesome (totally online, no downloads and CD-Roms, parent dashboard, etc), except I wish there was a Catholic version of it.

Any more ideas??

Bju, t4l, ambleside, sos, monarch

Ambleside isn't computer based, its literature based. Some resources can be found in ebook form but that's it.

keystone homeschool coalition has compass Odyssey, which is really good. Its the program behind T4L but it's much better as a full program.

Edited by thefragile7393

I'm looking at the LA, too. How long does it take to complete 1 lesson for LA?

Cut and dry would be OK, I think, as long as the lessons are fairly short and sweet (like under 20 minutes).