Menu

which spelling?

dm379

We have just added the Dictation Resource Book (same series as Spelling Plus) to add practice. You could try a different approach, like Apples and Pears (morphemes). Or you could do studied dictation (visualizing the words), as Charlotte Mason used. Seeing Stars, by Linda Mood-Bell, is also a visual approach. And Logic of English is hot right now, I'd get that if I had the money.

I use Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure with mine, with great results. There's nothing flashy about it, but it is effective, easy to use, and deceptively simple. These books aren't about memorizing an arbitrary list of words. The meat of the course is in the exercises the children do with the spelling rules. My 6th grader has admitted she becomes a better speller by working through the lesson, even when she thought the word list was easy-peasy.

Grades 2-5 have workbooks the student writes in directly. Grades 6-8 have textbooks and they write their work on paper; the volume of writing required barely goes up, though.

You can see samples at www.rodandstaffbooks.com (a distributor).

I will throw out a free idea -- you could do the Modern Speller, or Wheeler's Elementary Speller (which involves considerably more writing, and is often suggested for third grade & up). These resources would probably not be the best option for a child with dyslexia, but they provide words in context and Button is doing much better with this style spelling than with AAS. Modern Speller doesn't teach rules per se, so if you want to teach rules you'd need to use your resources from AAS or just teach them from a different resource.

For Button, who is 6, I put the lessons from Modern Speller into copywork-style sheets using the Startwrite software, and he copies the words & sentences onto blank lines below the text. Later in the day, he does the sentences and some of the words from dictation on a blank lined sheet. So it doubles up as handwriting practice :).

For context, in figuring if you'd like this option, for Language Arts we do KISS grammar, WWE, Primary Language Lessons, and a lot of AO-style readings. But we do much more writing than AO suggests, and don't require perfect copywork.

Edited by serendipitous journey
had been interrupted by Toddler Tears ...