Menu

if you had 5-7 days to spend in New England in July with 6 kids....

what would be on the "don't miss" list?

so far all I have in mind are:

- historical areas such as Faneuil Hall, etc.;

- my alma mater; perhaps some other colleges (just briefly, for fun)

- Plymouth Rock

We might like to drive up to NH/VT/ME but what should we see there? What else in MA, or possibly CT/RI?

Any great historical sites?

Kids will be ages 3-11. Thanks for any and all ideas!!

boston freedom trail? u might want a stroller with 3yr?

children science museum and aquarium

Can't think much in NH, VT. (in law lives in NH).

NY? there are quite few waterfall around here. Have your kids read my side of mountain? It will be a little fun field trip if they read it. the story is set up catskill in NY

Edited by jennynd

I grew up and lived in NH until I was 32. The Lakes Region is gorgeous - towns like Meredith & Wolfeboro are nice and quaint. Canobie Lake Park in Salem is pretty fun if you like amusement parks. It has one of the oldest wooden roller coasters in the country there. My boys loved it when we went last summer. Your kids are the perfect ages.

In VT, Burlington is a lot of fun, and it's right on Lake Champlain, so it's also pretty. I believe Pearl Street in Boulder, CO was designed around the model of Burlington. Ben & Jerry's is up there as well as a variety of other places to see. There are a number of covered bridges along Route 100 as well as other historical sites along that route.

Boston is still my favorite place to be in New England. It's such a great city with so much history. The Freedom Trail offers so much information. It involves A LOT of walking, so be prepared for that. Taking one of the Duck Boats through the city would also be great fun while stilll offering all the history of the city. Boston Commons and the swan boats make for a nice afternoon.

If you make it up to Burlington, you should visit Shelburne Museum. It's very kid-friendly.

I love, love, love Newport, RI. Lots of beaches. The Cliff Walk. It's a bit challenging to visit some of the mansions with kids as young as 3 (although I've done it). Astor's Beechwood is a good one to try with kids because they have costumed actors. The Elms is also good because they have audioguides and you can go at your own pace.

In the Boston area, I like Walden Pond, the Minutemen National Historic Monument, and the Old North Bridge. All are good for wiggly kids.:D

I love New England; I grew up in Massachusetts and Connecticut.

My favorite New England spots with kids Boston's Science Museum and the Children's Museum, Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts, Mystic Seaport in Connecticut, Niagara Falls in New York, and the Museum of Natural History in New York City (plus Central Park). Finally the bay side beaches of Cape Cod.

Sturbridge and Mystic can each be done on a day of their own and have lots of activities to involve all your kids. Get hotels with pools and you are all set.

The Freedom Trail is rough for a three year old so pick just a few things that interest you most. Family Fun has a good guide here : http://familyfun.go.com/vacations/adventure-awaits-on-the-freedom-trail-713972/

I miss New England very much.

The Shelburne Museum in VT is very interesting--for adults and kids.

Old Sturbridge Village in Mass. is a great living history place.

My kids want to go to Storyland in NH., and then on to the Boston Aquarium, and the Boston Children's Museum.

My husband and I would rather hit Faneiul Hall, and then the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. And Cheers, where everybody knows your name...;)

And since I'm in Maine...

Ogunquit is a beautiful place to visit, and so is Bar Harbor, with Acadia National Park.

Yes, the Shelburne Museum in VT is wonderful! I knew I was missing something when I was thinking of VT!

I also second Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park in Maine. It is a destination in and of itself, plus it's a bit out of the way taking about a 5 hour drive from Boston to get there. However, if you can visit it, it's breathtaking!

Martha's Vineyard, or block Island.

Mystic CT, the seaport and aquarium

Coastal Maine

I grew up in CT, lived on the shore in CT, RI, and MA. Love the rocky NE coast, and intend to move back there ASAP.

SweetBean, where are you from? I grew up in Madison. We're inland now, although my parents still live there. We have also lived in several towns in MA. We love New England as well :)

SweetBean, where are you from? I grew up in Madison. We're inland now, although my parents still live there. We have also lived in several towns in MA. We love New England as well :)

I grew up in Caterbury, but lived in the Madison and Clinton area for about 10 years. Seven years ago, my husband was laid off from his job, and we ended up in NJ. I'd move back in a heartbeat. I still go back to visit friends and family several times each year. I have also lived in Barrington, RI, Wenham, Magnolia, and Salem, MA. That was all before we spent 5 yrs. in Ithaca NY. I miss New England!

Springfield Armory Museum, Springfield MA

Magic Wings-Deerfield MA

Yankee Candle-Deerfield, MA

Six Flags New England-Agawam, MA

Old Sturbridge Village-Sturbridge MA

Salem Witch-Salem, MA

Mystic Aquarium/Mystic Seaport-Mystic, CT

Springfield Science Museums-Springfield, MA

Forest Park Zoo-Springfield MA

I am not a fan of Boston or Plymouth. Yes, there is history there. But a little piece of advice about Plymouth. You are going to drive there and see a stupid rock that isn't even real. And the parking is outgrageous. Go to Plimouth Plantation instead. Forget the rock.:lol:

And, as you can see I have listed many things in Springfield which is in Western MA. It is cheaper, just as good as the museum/s in Boston, and much easier to get around.

And FWIW, I grew up here and hate it. But others find New England gorgeous.

Thanks for all the great ideas!!! and all the LINKS!!! You all are super helpful. I have forgotten so much (I've only been back a few times in the past 20 yrs :tongue_smilie:).

The only trouble is that I wear my hair straight now that I've been in a dry climate for several years, and I expect it will go crazy in the humidity. What to do, lol. But oh, I can almost smell the air...

I second Sturbridge and Story Land. Both are so weirdly the same as they were when I went as a kid. (well, ok, I guess Sturbridge should be, lol)

(Six Gun City, also in NH, was disappointingly decrepit when we took the kids, though.)

Oh my gosh!!!! You all are making me relive my childhood. Old Sturbridge Village, Storyland and Canobie Lake. I loved them all growing up!!!!!! I can't think of much to add, except maybe The White Mountains in NH, have some pancakes with real maple syrup. Of course Boston is a must. Lots to do there. Have fun!!

I love New England; I grew up in Massachusetts and Connecticut.

My favorite New England spots with kids Boston's Science Museum and the Children's Museum, Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts, Mystic Seaport in Connecticut, Niagara Falls in New York, and the Museum of Natural History in New York City (plus Central Park). Finally the bay side beaches of Cape Cod.

Sturbridge and Mystic can each be done on a day of their own and have lots of activities to involve all your kids. Get hotels with pools and you are all set.

The Freedom Trail is rough for a three year old so pick just a few things that interest you most. Family Fun has a good guide here : http://familyfun.go.com/vacations/adventure-awaits-on-the-freedom-trail-713972/

I miss New England very much.

I so agree, I currently live in NE and plan on staying, it just fits me even though I never thought it would!:)

But I agree with the above poster, these are all a must see.