Menu

I can't believe my ds is almost finished with high school. Only one more year. He's at the point math-wise, where he'll be doing calculus next year but there don't seem to be many options for calculus in the homeschooling sphere. Has anyone here done this with their kids and what did you use?

We've always used either the community college or the 4-year college for calculus --

1) the kids are reasonably assured of receiving college credit (or at least having outside verification that they understood the material)

2) I didn't have to actually deal with it. :D

My oldest used Chalkdust. My middle son looked at Chalkdust and asked for something else. He's using Thinkwell and loves it. Either works. Thinkwell costs a bit less.

:iagree:We've used Chalkdust and Thinkwell here and can recommend either very highly. The professor for Thinkwell used to be a stand-up comedian. He's hilarious (and brilliant) and can make calculus (of all things) entertaining, so my dc would probably choose Thinkwell over Chalkdust :D. Dana Mosley is fabulous too though. Really, you can't go wrong with either one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look to check out Thinkwell. I haven't heard of that before. I really want him to do something at home because, well, I like math. :D That's what my degree is in. I LOVE getting to help him with the upper level stuff. Weird, I know.

DD18 used the Stewart text with the DVDs from AskDrCallahan.

I will say that Callahan's customer service was excellent - when we emailed them about a problem with the solution to a particular problem (neither DD or I could get the same answer listed in the answer set), they responded promptly with a full walk-thru on the problem and offered to have DD call them directly if she didn't understand and they would go thru it with her.

I really liked the explanations in the Stewart text. It had been many years since I used calculus, so having good explanations was really important for us.