Menu

First time at the Cincinnati convention....advice

Hi all,

This is my first time at the Cincinnati convention. I am traveling from Lancaster County PA with two girlfriends. :driving: Any advice on what to expect? Also what about food options? We are staying at the Millenium. I cannot wait!!!!!

Thanks!

The elevators at the Millenium take FOREVER. You must plan extra time in your schedule for the elevators.

You will have fun. There are options to eat at the conference, but none were very appealing in my opinion. There are restaurants within walking distance. But last year, I stayed at the Hyatt across the street from the center, and brought a little cooler with some sandwiches, yogurt, fruit, and stuff and just kept it filled from the ice machine.

There was a bbq place in a little booth at the back of the vendor hall last year, and it was the best bbq beef sandwich and homemade potato chips I'd ever had. I've been dreaming of them all year, and I plan to eat every lunch and dinner there if they are there again. :D It was Montgomery Inn, I think.

The food was MUCH improved this past year. They finally got it right. There were more inexpensive options, and enough places to keep the lines down (usually!) I try to eat at off times, too, to avoid the lines. I like to bring snacks that could get me by, too, in case I decide I want to shop through lunch. It is nice to find a room between talks and have a quiet meal chatting with friends, and then go back to it recharged. :001_smile:

The talks are all upstairs or in the hotels, so it is easier to block out times for talks and times for the vendor hall, instead of running back and forth. It is also easier to shop earlier, because by Saturday AM it is a madhouse in there.

There was a bbq place in a little booth at the back of the vendor hall last year, and it was the best bbq beef sandwich and homemade potato chips I'd ever had. I've been dreaming of them all year, and I plan to eat every lunch and dinner there if they are there again. :D It was Montgomery Inn, I think.

Oh, I forgot about that place. My sister and I got food from there at one point. It was good.

The talks are all upstairs or in the hotels, so it is easier to block out times for talks and times for the vendor hall, instead of running back and forth. It is also easier to shop earlier, because by Saturday AM it is a madhouse in there.

Thanks! This is good information to know. I had no idea that there were talks in different hotels. Good to know about Saturday morning.....

Any recommendations for a great place for a nice dinner Friday night?

I went for the first time last year and here are a few things I learned:

- Take a bottle of water with you. I felt very dehydrated. (I also took trail mix in my backpack which saved me a couple of times.)

- Something for note-taking and handout organizing.

- Backpack or rolling crate for vendor hall goodies.

- Very comfortable shoes

- Advil, Tylenol or some sort of pain reliever. I did not want to miss a thing, so I went to sessions all day long. I had raging headaches by the end of the day from all of the info.:D

- Make sure that if you want a recording of a session you heard or one that you were not able to get to, to buy it before the very last day if possible. The lines that last day were crazy.

- The BBQ place that was mentioned earlier really was very good.

The restaurant suggestions look amazing! Quick question about the seminars; how difficult is it to find the locations and how much time should you leave yourself to get to each one?

It is pretty easy to find the seminars, at least in the Duke Energy Center. I don't think I went to any that were in the hotels. It is a huge place, so it does take a few minutes to get from one place to the next, but they give you plenty of time.

More food options:

Tower Place Mall, which is connected to the Hilton, has a food court on the lower (basement) level. Like the food options in the convention center, it's best to avoid the food court at peak dining times. One year (2 years ago?) Chik-fil-A offered coupons for a free chicken sandwich at a certain day & time, and there were HUGE lines. What a lot of people didn't realize, though, was that the line for Subway, which was kinda off to the side & not so noticeable, was very short. It got much longer, though, as more people poured in, as it was peak lunch hours.

There's a Chipotle a couple of blocks away. I can't remember what else is in that area. Dh and I went there one night at the end of the day. It's too far to go in between sessions, unless you plan to skip one or more.

ETA: I marked the Tower Mall & food court in the wrong spot, but corrected it with an arrow. :tongue_smilie:

post-4611-13535086455092_thumb.jpg

Edited by gardening momma

Hi all,

This is my first time at the Cincinnati convention. I am traveling from Lancaster County PA with two girlfriends. :driving: Any advice on what to expect? Also what about food options? We are staying at the Millenium. I cannot wait!!!!!

Thanks!

Take a list of things you really want to see up close. Look for new-to-you vendors and see what they have. Some of the small vendors that are not nationally known (yet) have some really cool things!

Enjoy yourself!!

ETA: I marked the Tower Mall & food court in the wrong spot, but corrected it with an arrow. :tongue_smilie:

We hit there for lunch one day, and I had some great Chinese food, which was suprising from a little mall place. They made it to order. It's just far enough to stretch your legs and refresh your mind, too.

There's a Chipotle a couple of blocks away. I can't remember what else is in that area. Dh and I went there one night at the end of the day. It's too far to go in between sessions, unless you plan to skip one or more.

YAY! I was hoping there was a Chipotle close by! They don't have Chipotle where I live, but whenever I'm in Cincy I try to go there because I love it. So, it's within walking distance, or will I have to drive? I am SO hoping it's within walking distance. :D

Thanks to everyone else for the tips and to the OP for starting this thread. I am new to the convention too, and don't even know where to begin. I'm a planner, so I like to be prepared. :001_smile:

Also, if anyone goes to the Tower place "mall" food court, take the time to venture up through the hotel. It is an amazing art deco gem. At least go through the lobby and look at the palm court ceiling, OMG, it is gorgeous!

Then, if you go one more block to fountain square, there is a nice fountain...and a Graeter's ice cream. AWESOME ice cream. If you like dark chocolate... get anything with "chip" in the name. I love the black raspberry chip. ;)

YAY! I was hoping there was a Chipotle close by! They don't have Chipotle where I live, but whenever I'm in Cincy I try to go there because I love it. So, it's within walking distance, or will I have to drive? I am SO hoping it's within walking distance. :D

Thanks to everyone else for the tips and to the OP for starting this thread. I am new to the convention too, and don't even know where to begin. I'm a planner, so I like to be prepared. :001_smile:

It's within walking distance, about 2.5 blocks from the convention center.

Take a look at the map in my other post. On the convention center, that dark gray triangle at the SE side is the main entrance (you can also get in through the skywalks from the Millennium on the east side and the skywalk at the south side). From the convention center main entrance, you'd walk 2 blocks east and then turn left. Chipotle is on the right about 3/4 of a block down.

Edited by gardening momma

It's within walking distance, about 2.5 blocks from the convention center.

Take a look at the map in my other post. On the convention center, that dark gray triangle at the SE side is the main entrance (you can also get in through the skywalks from the Millennium on the east side and the skywalk at the south side). From the convention center main entrance, you'd walk 2 blocks east and then turn left. Chipotle is on the right about 3/4 of a block down.

I'll take a look! Thanks so much :)

Hi all,

Thanks!

There is a terrific little food place in the lobby of the Westin (about a block from the Duke at Fountain Square) that has really healthy stuff. Also, Chipoltle is there and a great ice cream place... I wasn't crazy about the food in the convention center, but that's because I have to do gluten-free:tongue_smilie:. What a pain... But there are options. And if you want a fancy night out, try the McCormich and Schmidt... Yum! Anyway, that's the food scoop.

I have only been there 1 time with a newborn!

I had the pleasure of going out to the parking lot to eat what friends brought!! Healthy, Yummy, and Free!

We live in the BBQ Capital of the world, so I did not eat in Duke. All I remember is buying a bottle of water for $3.00 and refilling it several times at the fountains, then packing fruit and granola bars with me to get me through the afternoons.

Oh, we did eat out some, but I was happy to eat anywhere not ripping people off.

Tim Hawkins made me forget all my troubles and laugh so hard I cried!

Susan Wise Bauer gave the best talk I have ever heard! It was not recorded due to the personal nature. And it was what I needed to give me the strength to carry on.

I was disappointed that it was so crowded, but there was an ANIMAL show going on in half the Duke Center then.

The used book booth was not very big either. I would have a list and watch for NEW booths having older editions. I made the mistake of buying an old edition of something but did re sell it.

Have FUN!!!!!!!!!! Don't overdo it, and be refreshed.

If you miss a speaker, they sell cd's.

Yup. That would be Montgomery Inn. A Cincinnati Legend.

I had a shopping list and everything that I *KNEW* for certain (as certain as a curriculum junkie can be, anyway) I wanted, I bought on Thursday. Before things got too crazy. Friday and Saturday were much more crazy. Saturday was the CRAZIEST.

Also, last year the convention center was exclusively Homeschool. No dog shows in the next aisle.

Tower Place closes at 5:00 or so M-F. Just a heads up. And as you wander around downtown, just be aware of your surroundings and the people in your vicinity. It's not a high crime city, but it's not crime free either.

Edited by cin

Then, if you go one more block to fountain square, there is a nice fountain...and a Graeter's ice cream. AWESOME ice cream. If you like dark chocolate... get anything with "chip" in the name. I love the black raspberry chip. ;)

Yup. Another Cincinnati Legend. Their facebook page has pictures of the Chips people find in their ice cream. They just pour the chocolate into the stuff as they mix it, so it's not teeny tiny chips. Nope. It's CHUNKS. :D :D

I find the convention center rooms to be on the cool side, so I bring a light sweater. Definitely shop Thursday evening. Chipotle is on Fountain Square. Walk two blocks east of the convention center, and when you see the large fountain, Chipotle will be behind it. I second the recommendation for McCormick and Schmick's. I had some fabulous lobster ravioli there a couple of years ago. http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/cincinnati-ohio/EFifthSt.aspx

And if you just want some great pizza, LaRosa's delivers to the downtown hotels. (513) 347-1111. Also, the Millennium had a great little snack bar right by the entrance to the Skywalk, where you can also buy a light breakfast.

I always find Thursday night supper to be a challenge. Most of the food vendors aren't open in the convention center on Thursday evening, and I want to shop in the vendor hall, not go off-site to eat. You may want to pack a snack, and plan on a late supper that night.

I have to do gluten-free:tongue_smilie:. What a pain... But there are options. And if you want a fancy night out, try the McCormich and Schmidt... Yum! Anyway, that's the food scoop.

Where have you eaten comfortably being Gluten Free? My son is gluten free. We had a hard time eating at places last year except for Chipolte which we ate for lunch and dinner the time we were there.

Holly

I went to the convention for the 1st time last year (GO DUGGARS!!) anyway and it was pretty awesome. I would say to bring a pen and paper to write notes and good walking shoes are a must. I would bring a folder for pamplets, etc. we ate at Arbys last year.

This year we are going and i plan to do a better job of writing things down- last year i just wrote " Rod & Staff, christian based, good" but didnt write down WHY i liked it :( I plan to bring a bottle of water and a few snacks and we will go outside the center to eat like last year. This year I plan to buy next years curriculum :)

I cant wait!!!!!!!:lol: