Menu

Anyone else *NOT* 'buzzed'/on board with Circe?

Happy2BaMom

:iagree:

Im generally a fan of circe and have been inspired by a few of the talks. But im also disturbed by the focus on beauty, by any definition really. There's got to be something better to include with truth and virtue.

Im finding it a bit disappointing that a few of those who are striving for beauty are showing a lot of ugly. On several of the threads.

Yup-there is a whole lot of ugly going on;)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um yes-that. I feel like the whole board has turned into a bad record that is skipping. How much can beauty and truth be talked about?

Lots. Over and over. In cycles over the years. It's just the nature of these forums. Just about every topic under the sun gets repeated cyclically. But that's because people get older and new people start learning the stuff that the older people have already reconciled in their minds, and talk about it just the way the older people once did. It's just normal life on the forums.

:iagree:

Im generally a fan of circe and have been inspired by a few of the talks. But im also disturbed by the focus on beauty, by any definition really. There's got to be something better to include with truth and virtue.

Im finding it a bit disappointing that a few of those who are striving for beauty are showing a lot of ugly. On several of the threads.

You're not understanding it in its proper context. One Mom linked Peter Kreeft's lectures on Beauty. They're super short, 9 minutes each and there are three I believe? Listen to them. (they're toward the end (so far) of the thread).

found them

Edited by justamouse

You're not understanding it in its proper context. One Mom linked Peter Kreeft's lectures on Beauty. They're super short, 9 minutes each and there are three I believe? Listen to them. (they're toward the end (so far) of the thread).

found them

No, I do understand - I just disagree. I have listened to all of those audios.

ETA: I don't have enough free time to actually debate this but I wanted to add... I do understand what he means by beauty but I think its a misuse of that word. Sure, the gospel is beautiful but if that is the only way you wish to define beauty then 'Christlike' would be a better term. I think using the term 'beauty' hints at meaning something in addition to 'Christlike' which I'm not on board with. Also, the second audio is basically an infomercial for Catholicism. Not my cuppa. I also dislike his harping on things being 'boring'.

Edited by momoflaw

Just about every topic under the sun gets repeated cyclically. But that's because people get older and new people start learning the stuff that the older people have already reconciled in their minds, and talk about it just the way the older people once did.

:lol: As a relatively new member of this forum, I am really enjoying being a bystander to this very meaty discussion and am glad it has cycled around. I'm hooked on reading what's going on in THE thread. There is no other forum like this and I spend way too much time here. It's making me a more thoughtful parent educator and I'm thankful for that. Nothing erudite to add, just an observation of gratitude.

Um yes-that. I feel like the whole board has turned into a bad record that is skipping.

:lol: As a relatively new member of this forum, I am really enjoying being a bystander to this very meaty discussion and am glad it has cycled around. I'm hooked on reading what's going on in THE thread. There is no other forum like this and I spend way too much time here. It's making me a more thoughtful parent educator and I'm thankful for that. Nothing erudite to add, just an observation of gratitude.

Oh, I wasn't being sarcastic in my answer (though now I can see why it might sound so). I was just explaining about why the board might be sounding like a bad record that is skipping. It truly does cycle around, and I am GLAD that topics keep coming up, so that newbies can learn! I completely agree that this is a great place to get meaty discussions. I, too, have learned a lot here over the years, and am so grateful.

If you go to the main page and click on general board, or k-8 board or whatever, you can sort by the number of responses. Maybe a political thread or that one about filing - it went on for-ev-er (with lots of good info by the way, not bashing or anything).

I didn't know you could do that!!! I'm so excited! Lol. This board has the longest threads of any board I've been on.

Lots. Over and over. In cycles over the years. It's just the nature of these forums. Just about every topic under the sun gets repeated cyclically. But that's because people get older and new people start learning the stuff that the older people have already reconciled in their minds, and talk about it just the way the older people once did. It's just normal life on the forums.

Oh no I realize that b/c I have been a member of other boards much longer. It just seems like this one in particular will.not.die. :tongue_smilie:

If you go to the main page and click on general board, or k-8 board or whatever, you can sort by the number of responses. Maybe a political thread or that one about filing - it went on for-ev-er (with lots of good info by the way, not bashing or anything).

K-8 board:

Filing system, 842 replies.

Circe Instute lovers, 616 replies.

Breadth vs. depth, 509 replies.

General board:

Deleted post. Admins say "sorry guys... too big for the servers to handle."

"Forum game, who wants to play?" 1,746 replies.

"I have asked that my membership to this forum be removed from the board" 1,129 replies

Someone stole a cookie, 1032 replies.

I just have to say that since this who Circe thread thing (and I've still not read "the" thread), I haven't been able to get this scene out of my mind:

<sigh>

K-8 board:

Filing system, 842 replies.

Circe Instute lovers, 616 replies.

Breadth vs. depth, 509 replies.

General board:

Deleted post. Admins say "sorry guys... too big for the servers to handle."

"Forum game, who wants to play?" 1,746 replies.

"I have asked that my membership to this forum be removed from the board" 1,129 replies

Someone stole a cookie, 1032 replies.

:lol: Makes me feel better about staying away from the General board.