Menu

First grade phonics program?

CMmomma

I need a great phonics program for 1st grade. I have been looking and most phonics programs start out with the consonant sounds and short vowel sounds but my dd is reading simple 3 letter words. I am looking for something that will gently move her into blends and reading longer passages. What did you use? Any readers you would suggest?

I need a great phonics program for 1st grade. I have been looking and most phonics programs start out with the consonant sounds and short vowel sounds but my dd is reading simple 3 letter words. I am looking for something that will gently move her into blends and reading longer passages. What did you use? Any readers you would suggest?

I chose Phonics Pathways. It does start with Vowel and Consonant sounds but very easy to fly through the review of those.. I also learned that my girls weren't as confident in their short vowels as **I** thought they were; especially with the difference between I and E.... So, it was a great thing that we reviewed them.. Anyway, very easy to fly through the first few pages and it takes them straight into blends, etc. with fun games to build and play! We use it along with ETC books and BOB books and are having much success :)

Can you explain what ETC is? Is it a phonics program only or does it have more to it? I looked at a few samples online but I couldn't quite decide exactly what it was. Anything you dislike about it? I would love to spend a solid 15 minutes a day in phonics and no more. The rest of my time, I would like to spend reading with my dd. I love BOB books!

Can you explain what ETC is? Is it a phonics program only or does it have more to it? I looked at a few samples online but I couldn't quite decide exactly what it was. Anything you dislike about it? I would love to spend a solid 15 minutes a day in phonics and no more. The rest of my time, I would like to spend reading with my dd. I love BOB books!

Some people use ETC as a full curriculum. I don't feel like it is. We do our lesson in Phonics Pathways (Typically 5-10 minutes) and then they do just the next page or two in ETC.. ETC requires them to read and write the words but has fun pictures. I feel it is good work for them. It also teaches them to be a bit independent which we could use here :) We then read BOB books.

Phonics Pathways + ETC is pretty painless and what I've used for 3 years (One dc for 2 years and my K this year). However, :D...I think we are going to switch to PAL Reading and Writing from IEW for this coming year. I want something more engaging for my wiggly boy and, honestly, for me. He is already reading cvc words but I don't think a quick run through from the beginning of PAL will do him any harm.

Anyway, all that to say, you might want to give PAL Reading a look!

Phonics Pathways + ETC is pretty painless and what I've used for 3 years (One dc for 2 years and my K this year). However, :D...I think we are going to switch to PAL Reading and Writing from IEW for this coming year. I want something more engaging for my wiggly boy and, honestly, for me. He is already reading cvc words but I don't think a quick run through from the beginning of PAL will do him any harm.

Anyway, all that to say, you might want to give PAL Reading a look!

I just looked at the PAL program and it looked fantastic! I love the farm folder with all of the little stickers. I have girly girls so they would appreciate the stickers and the bright colors. I also discovered llatl....the blue book kit. I didn't know that there was a kit that included readers with it. I have read mixed reviews so I am a little weary of trying it. Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Going to check them all out! ;)

I taught my son to read using Modern Curriculum Press Phonics A (also known as Plaid Phonics) which is recommended in The Well Trained Mind. When we finished it, we used McGruffey's Eclectic Primer, and finished the year going through Reading is Fun, a phonics based textbook (ISBN 0875487149) that I had used in the 1970s.;)

Another vote for Phonics Road. II highly recommend it. Before you buy it, educate yourself on the theory behind the program by reading The Writing Road to Reading by Ramona Spalding and Understanding the Logic of English by Denise Eide. I'm reading these now, halfway through PR 1, and it has helped me be a better teacher :)

We started out with k12 phonics and it was too much for my son who could barely remember letter sounds. I think it would work well for a child who could already sound out words. We now use OPGTR and my son is reading bob books and passages from the book. We didn't like how k12 had so much to go with it (an hour for phonics was way too much for us). OPGTR has simplified reading for us.