Menu

Teacher's Lounge ~ 3/26/2012

Good Monday morning to you all! I hope that you are alive, awake, alert, enthusiastic on this Monday! Where do you fall in that spectrum? I'm definitely alive, awake and mostly alert. I can't say that I've achieved enthusiastic status yet! :001_smile:

How was your weekend? Did you do anything special or fun?

What's on the menu for today?

Do you take a "spring break" or "Easter break" from school? If so, when?

If you don't follow a year-round school schedule, when will you be done with this "school year?" When will you start the next year's curriculum?

We had a great weekend--a nice balance of fun, busy, and yet had time to relax. If only every weekend could be like that!

We had cereal for breakfast (I had multi-grain cheerios). Lunch will probably be whatever leftovers are in the fridge. If I make it to the grocery store this afternoon, we'll be having Rosemary Chicken skillet for dinner with a side of roasted asparagus.

We do take a spring break at the same time as the regular ps here since my dh is a ps teacher. Our break begins March 31 and we will resume school on April 9th. During that time, my kids and dh are going on a 3 day, 2 night camping trip. I am staying home this year (with the dog) so I can have some "quiet" time and get some planning done.

If you don't follow a year-round school schedule, when will you be done with this "school year?" When will you start the next year's curriculum?

We should be done with everything by early June. We will start our next school year on August 20th.

Good morning everyone - I'm having a good day here. We just got word that my brother's kids bio-mom {aka egg donor} has signed the papers to terminate her parental rights and allow my SIL to formally adopt the kids. We're thrilled! I'm off to go get bloodwork done for an appointment tomorrow.

How was your weekend? Did you do anything special or fun? It was okay. Nothing special or fun really - just working around the house.

What's on the menu for today? Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots, and veggies.

Do you take a "spring break" or "Easter break" from school? If so, when? Normally yes, but we're so far behind that this year we're not.

If you don't follow a year-round school schedule, when will you be done with this "school year?" When will you start the next year's curriculum? We are kind of switching to a year round school schedule 7 days a week, so we just move up grade wise in August when the ps kids do. We start the next level of curriculum when we finish the previous level or when dd is ready for it.

Good Monday morning to you all! I hope that you are alive, awake, alert, enthusiastic on this Monday! Where do you fall in that spectrum?

I'm alert but unsure if enthusiastic is achievable.

It was terrific. We went to the zoo Saturday than out to dinner and then listened to a jazz band for an hour or so. Sunday, my youngest and I went back to the zoo, then we played board games the rest of the day and went tot he park.

Today is chili.

We take spring break the same week as everyone else around here which is this week. :party:

This year we should be done by the beginning of June. We start fresh again in August with only math and reading during the summer.

Good Monday morning to you all! I hope that you are alive, awake, alert, enthusiastic on this Monday! Where do you fall in that spectrum? Good morning! Right now I will go with alive.

How was your weekend? Did you do anything special or fun? My weekend was wonderful! Saturday we lounged around the house and yesterday we went riding around and looking at the bluebonnets. The weather was gorgeous both days!

What's on the menu for today? Breakfast was waffles, lunch will be either ham or peanut butter sandwiches and dinner will be either lasagna or pork chops--I haven't decided yet.

Do you take a "spring break" or "Easter break" from school? If so, when? We took Spring Break week before last.

Our last day of school will be the last Friday in May. We will take June off and start back in July. We are going to try year round school for next year.

I am awake but not very alert. Very, very tired still.

How was your weekend? Did you do anything special or fun? Yesterday was my birthday. I got a Kindle on Saturday (which was almost a disaster). We had some friends over last night for cake.

What's on the menu for today? No idea.

Do you take a "spring break" or "Easter break" from school? If so, when? Before the year began in August, I had planned all the breaks for the entire year. Apparently I rebel when things are written down because I stuck to that schedule for two weeks. So I guess we'll be taking our breaks whenever Pigby and Digby stop asking to do school.

If you don't follow a year-round school schedule, when will you be done with this "school year?" When will you start the next year's curriculum? I'm planning on schooling year round. Technically kindergarten will be over in July and we'll start first grade the third week in August. We'll be keeping on with the same programs, so we'll be starting the new books whenever we finish the ones we're on. That's anywhere from a couple weeks away to next January.

KRG & Karen:001_smile:-I'm on my 2nd cup of java and still feeling groggy! Enthusiastic- catch me at 4 p.m.!

Cleaned cars, did yard work, cleaned up kids swing set area, priced shower "window", dh had to re-create wall for bathroom where the shower wall will go- that took him most of Sunday- kinda frustrating but it's gonna be beautiful! went to see Hunger Games with older kids (love it! review here).

Fruit smoothies and english muffins for breakfast. Not sure about the rest of the day- sweet potatoes and gr. beef somehow fixed to mask the beef part.

On-line classes do. Otherwise we'll carry on. Can't wait to finish some stuff!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously!:001_smile:

If you don't follow a year-round school schedule, when will you be done with this "school year?" When will you start the next year's curriculum

We are taking a break (mostly) from school this summer. I'll be teaching WWSI to finish it with the kids I started with in Jan. I might teach history of the horse to my 3rd grade writers.

Other than that I am making a summer bucket list for my kids and we plan to have FUN (with learning thrown in)- I've got a huge list of stuff- dd 21 will be home till mid-August and she is ready to play, too! Ds 17 will start traveling/camps in next month. He'll be going to TP Nationals and doing Shakespeare camp. All 3 will be going to Drama Camp. We'll put in a huge garden again and are thinking about getting an above ground pool.

O.k. and we are going to help dh put in the trim on 2nd floor, trim in basement and a couple "projects" from Ana White/pinterest boards/house re-build.

I need 3 extra months of summer!!!

Edited by laughing lioness

Good Monday morning to you all! I hope that you are alive, awake, alert, enthusiastic on this Monday! Where do you fall in that spectrum? I'm definitely alive, awake and mostly alert. I can't say that I've achieved enthusiastic status yet! :001_smile:

Well, I feel that I may need to revise my status. After exercising this morning, I believe I've been downgraded from "mostly alert" to "barely alive!" I swear, I will never enjoy exercising and will never be a natural runner. I'm trying to do the Couch to 5K...currently 1/2 way through Week 3. I've done this before and always get stuck between Week 3 and Week 4 and can't progress without feeling like I'm going to die! I don't think I have the lung capacity to run...I always feel like I'm out of breath when exercising, even if I slow down my pace (which isn't fast to begin with!). Oh well, I'm trying. I did finish the suggested plan for today, but I wish it didn't make me feel like dying!

We had a really busy weekend! My aunt was visiting us and left on Saturday morning and on Saturday evening my dd went to her first friends birthday party. Sunday was enjoying the weather and grocery shopping!

This morning I had toast with coconut oil :D and dd had a cupcake. Cupcakes aren't usually on the menu for breakfast but it was a special treat today!

We had our "spring break" last week when my aunt was here. It was so much fun and happened to be dd's birthday week, as well.

We do follow a year-round schedule but we will be done with our school year in two weeks and will start next year's curriculum a week after that!

Well, I feel that I may need to revise my status. After exercising this morning, I believe I've been downgraded from "mostly alert" to "barely alive!" I swear, I will never enjoy exercising and will never be a natural runner. I'm trying to do the Couch to 5K...currently 1/2 way through Week 3. I've done this before and always get stuck between Week 3 and Week 4 and can't progress without feeling like I'm going to die! I don't think I have the lung capacity to run...I always feel like I'm out of breath when exercising, even if I slow down my pace (which isn't fast to begin with!). Oh well, I'm trying. I did finish the suggested plan for today, but I wish it didn't make me feel like dying!

Jenn- I'm so proud of you! You rock!!:001_smile:

Good morning! Happy Birthday, Meggie:)

I am alive. I am actually surprisingly awake and alert too. I am not enthusiastic because my body has been having a cascade failure on various fronts lately. I'm getting tired of getting to know all my doctors so well. And I'm unhappy that I had to make "doctor" a plural.

How was your weekend? Did you do anything special or fun? The weekend was very nice.:001_smile: One highlight was that dd10 was volunteering at a "parent's night out" event at the Y and that allowed dh and I to go out on a special date ourselves!

What's on the menu for today? Breakfast and lunch will be my usual. Tonight's dinner will be eating out at a very nice Chinese restaurant for my IL's wedding anniversary celebration.

Do you take a "spring break" or "Easter break" from school? If so, when? We just took it last week.:001_smile:

If you don't follow a year-round school schedule, when will you be done with this "school year?" When will you start the next year's curriculum? We will never be done with this school year. . . I know that cognitively that can't be but that is the way it seems at the moment.

Meggie, why was getting a Kindle almost a disaster?

Hi, everyone!

I am alive and awake this morning. Give me a few to reach the status of the rest of those adjectives!

The weekend was good: dd and I went to the Renaissance Festival with some friends. Yesterday our church wrapped up Man Month with two services and four different men giving a message. All did a great job! After last night's service was a chili cook offe. Yum!

Menu: in a bit I'm going to bake some gluten free cinnamon raisin bread. No idea for lunch or dinner yet, although lunch will probably be sandwiches.

Spring break: we sort of did one a couple of weeks ago with a very light schedule, although I've been thinking about taking more time off soon so th kids can enjoy being outside while the weather is nice. It's just to brutal here in the summer to go outside then.

And due to those brutal temps, there is no point in us not doing SOME schooling.

Okay, off to mix up the bread!

Where do you fall in that spectrum? I'm definitely alive, awake and mostly alert.

Groggy. My kids had a rehearsal last night that was scheduled to end at 10:00 and then ran until midnight. Because I had other places to go earlier in the day, I had left my dog at home (rather than taking her with me as I usually do). By the time I got home, she was completely frantic to see me, and I ended up not going to bed until about 2:00 a.m. I forced myself out of bed at 6:45, anyway, and I'm already paying the price.

It was busy. The kids had rehearsals on both Saturday and Sunday, and my son's choir had a gig yesterday that required a three-hour round trip. He also ushered at church on Sunday, which meant we couldn't eat lunch before making the drive to the venue and I had to pack him food to eat in the car. He had to miss the first couple of hours of rehearsal to do the choir gig, which then ran almost 30 minutes over the scheduled time. So, it was a lot of frantic rushing around from just after noon until just after midnight.

We were all home Friday night, though, which is nearly unheard of around here. So, we rented movies and ate junk food and relaxed, which was very nice.

No clue. My son had his usual breakfast (hash brown patties, fruit smoothie, toast), and I ate oatmeal. My husband doesn't eat breakfast, and my daughter isn't up and around yet.

Lunch is always do your own thing.

Both kids are going to an audition for another show tonight. We'll have to leave before my husband gets home from work. So, dinner will likely be pretty casual, and I'll make something for my husband that he can nuke and eat when he's ready.

We normally do, but this has been a rough year for us, school wise. We're behind in a few subjects, and I decreed three weeks ago that we were working through our scheduled break. It would have been this week.

We were scheduled to finish after the first week of June, the same time our public schools wrap up the year. However, as I mentioned above, we're struggling with a few things. Spanish, for sure, will run at least a few weeks into the summer. Math might, too, unless my son kicks it into gear very soon.

There are a lot of ifs about next year at this point.

For example, I'm still having fantasies of sending my son to school next year.

Also, we're still giving it our very best effort to find a way to send him to England with his choir this summer. They are currently scheduled to return about a week after the public schools here start their year.

So, If I don't decide to send him to school (which I probably won't, especially after perusing that report about the books read in schools) and he doesn't go to England, we'll start our new school year on August 20, the same time as the public schools.

If he is still homeschooling and does go to England, we'll probably not be able to get started until he's back home and has a few days to rest and unpack. So, we likely wouldn't get going until the first week of September.

I am alive, awake and alert but definately not enthusiastic

Weekend was mostly lazy which = good weekend

Saturday I did nothing but sit on the porch reading on my kindle

Yesterday was my youngest brother birthday. We went to my stepmom's for a cookout and cake.

Breakfast was coffee for me, tea for kiddos

Lunch -- leftover tacos

Supper -- not a clue

We took spring break last week. Dh is going to school and was out on break so figured we would take one too. Normally we don't take a week spring break, just days here and there.

We don't school year round but kinda have thought about it. I think we will be done by the middle of May. We start schooling the day after Labor Day.

1. How was your weekend? Did you do anything special or fun?

2. What's on the menu for today?

3. Do you take a "spring break" or "Easter break" from school? If so, when?

4. If you don't follow a year-round school schedule, when will you be done with this "school year?" When will you start the next year's curriculum?

1. Our weekend was fun...my niece spent the weekend here!

2. We had eggs and hash browns for breakfast. Ham, hash browns (per request), and carrots for lunch. I am feeding four kids because I babysit two additional kiddos!

3. Yes, we follow the public school vacation schedule except we aren't taking Good Friday off.

4. We homeschool year round and we start the next level when we complete the current level.

I slept really well last night and was anticipating being peppy and ready to go this morning, but I woke up with whatever stomach bug dh had last week, so I am running on low pep and trying not to think about going back to bed.

Friday, the girls and I went to see The Hunger Games (now I am trying to convince dh to read through them out loud with me like he did with the Harry Potter series a couple years ago).

Yesterday, the kids and I went to a birthday party. This family always holds great parties, and yesterday was no exception.

Pasta (gf and non-gf) with pesto sauce for lunch. No idea about supper. Most of our clan with be out-and-about this evening, so it will probably be catch-as-catch-can. Breakfast was leftover pie from yesterday.

Our official Spring Break was two weeks ago. We moved a bunch of furniture, painted a room, and built a large barn-style door to separate the kids' rooms (our house is set-up very oddly).

Last week we took an additional, impromptu week off while I tried to get caught up on paperwork, setting up my new office, and caught up on household tasks that fell by the wayside during our project-ridden Spring Break. I'm finally glad to be back in the swing of things.

We school year round, so we should be starting the next school year in August.

It was good and extra long! Thursday night/Friday morning the big kids, my husband, and I went to see The Hunger Games. Friday evening we all went to see CSI: Neverland, a play at the high school my husband graduated fron Cam (he hadn't been in there in 18 years - we have a friend at church who was in the play). Saturday morning Ani went to play volleyball in a young women church tournament while my mom and I went to a quilt show. Saturday afternoon Jamie and Cameron saw John Carter while my mom and I went to see Hunger Games again (her second viewing, too). Saturday night Ani and I went to a broadcast for the 12-18 year old girls in our church. Sunday we had church in the morning and needed to stay after for meetings. Sunday evening Jamie went to visit friends. I fell asleep for about an hour some time Sunday afternoon. It was a busy weekend!

I had a protein bar for breakfast. Lunch was turkey and cheese on everything bagels, orange grape tomatoes, and strawberries. Dinner will be Mexican shepherd's pie.

No. We went to FL in January/February so we were were off a week and a half then. We do school year round.

I too want to know what happened with the Kindle!

Jenn, WAY TO GO! I wish I could do the C25K thing. But I have nobody to watch the kids. So you need to make it so I can live vicariously through you ;)

I hope that you are alive, awake, alert, enthusiastic on this Monday! Where do you fall in that spectrum? I am alive. I have drunk my coffee and reached awake and might even reach alert in a few minutes when I get up to go do laundry. Enthusiastic won't happen till about 6 p.m. I am a certifiable night owl.

How was your weekend? Did you do anything special or fun? DD turned 7! She had her party on Sunday, and she had a blast. Other than that, the weather was GORGEOUS, so we spent a lot of time outside. :D

What's on the menu for today? The kids had Quaker Oat Squares and fruit for breakfast. I just had coffee. For lunch I had Greek yogurt with granola and fruit... DS is currently making his way through everything in the fridge. So far he's had a giant sandwich (meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and chips), yogurt, and a banana, and he's currently polishing off the rest of the potato chips and French onion dip. I'm sure he won't be full. He's in the midst of a giant growth spurt which I DO NOT WANT. I just bought him size 9 men's shoes. His shoe size and his age SHOULD NOT MATCH. Sorry. Got off topic. For dinner we're going to my dad's house. I don't think he's prepared, so I plan to bring extra food.

Do you take a "spring break" or "Easter break" from school? If so, when? This is our first day back after two weeks off. We'll have a four-day weekend around Easter, too, and then we're in for the long haul till the end of May.

If you don't follow a year-round school schedule, when will you be done with this "school year?" When will you start the next year's curriculum? Our school year will end on May 31, since that is when DD's school gets out. Then she will be HOME!!! We plan to start our 'fall' semester in mid-July since it'll be blazing hot, and then we'll take several weeks off in September/early October. I'm excited.

Oh, wait, there's the boy again. He finished the chips and is, indeed, still hungry. We're nearly out of food, so I'm going to go see what I can scrounge up for him. How do you feed growing boys?!?!?!?