Menu

1st day homeschooling ... wow, he's quick.

So, it's 9:45 AM. We started school over breakfast at 8AM, and now we're 30 minutes into a recess I called because DS7 was getting wiggly. The thing is, we've done everything on my list for today except math and our read-aloud time. We did a very full religion lesson, a handwriting lesson, two vocabulary lessons, and grammar. We even spun out onto a rabbit trail about Israel for a little while. I know math is only going to take about 20-30 minutes because he rocks at it.

I know that when CATW arrives later this week, we'll have to spend more time on that. Still, this feels ... too easy? I don't expect it to stay easy forever, but I'm wondering if I've underestimated what we should be doing. Is less than two hours normal for the 3Rs? He's doing third grade work. I had planned to do science just twice a week. Should I do it daily? I'm not complaining; I'm just looking at the clock and a stack of finished stuff like ... "Hmm."

It is surprising how quickly some of the things can go. I've found that now that math is getting more complicated, it takes longer than it did last year. I've also had to add stuff in to many subjects, because my boys seemed to want to do more. When you have the time to concentrate on just one kid, it doesn't take that long to get the lesson taught.

The formal stuff took about an hour per grade level. So K'er was less than an hour. First grade took an hour, Second grade took two hours. Up to about 6th grade then it all evened out and held at 6 hours.

This is helpful, and encouraging. I assumed it would take longer. Now I feel like I might have time to add in the fun stuff more often!

Do you have challenging enough work for him? Don't get me wrong, I am not about burdening a 7 year old with HARD work but maybe he is flying through it because its not quite enough? Is there a way to do extension activities to the lessons you are doing? Maybe artsy activities for his lessons? I would add science in daily. What about history and nature study? I would get a good field guide from the library and start doing a good nature study with him! He sounds like a very eager learner!! Congrats :001_smile:

Here are my thoughts. Please feel free to disregard as my oldest is only 6 and I am by no means an expert.

If it is your first day of homeschooling, I'm assuming you had to bring him out of public school. The 3 R's are a good place to start. I would keep to the routine you had planned for a week or two as an adjustment period. If he thinks homeschooling is easy, then I think it would be more likely for him to want to do it. If he wants to do it, it would keep him going as quickly as possible. Once you have the routine down, you can evaluate on how well it's working for you both and start to add in new subjects. Then let him adjust and reevaluate how it's going.

That's the beauty of homeschooling. You are always evaluating and the ability to change things that aren't working are up to you.

If he starts begging you to do science, go ahead and do some every day. It doesn't have to be anything big, just reading some books on the topic or lapbooks. We do science everyday here; it's Pigby's favorite subject now. I only added it a few weeks ago.

At 7 (even if he is doing grade 3 work) a couple of hours is plenty. The only reason they spend more time at ps is that the teacher is wrangling 20 kids (think: herding cats). They have to stop for long periods of times to switch subjects. 20 kids have to put on coats to get outside, or go to the bathroom, etc.

If he is learning new info, and doing well, don't punish him for being efficient :) (not that I think you are, but adding more work just to make his day longer might discourage him). You'll appreciate his efficiency in a few years when 3rd and 4th grade get longer :)

Do you have challenging enough work for him? Don't get me wrong, I am not about burdening a 7 year old with HARD work but maybe he is flying through it because its not quite enough? Is there a way to do extension activities to the lessons you are doing? Maybe artsy activities for his lessons? I would add science in daily. What about history and nature study? I would get a good field guide from the library and start doing a good nature study with him! He sounds like a very eager learner!! Congrats :001_smile:

I'm starting to wonder if it IS hard enough. Enrichment sounds like a good plan. We'll be starting WinterPromise "Children Around the World" next week (it's just not here yet) for social studies. As for nature study ... well, at least it's spring. :) We're doing geology for science, so I think a rock study is in order!

On the bright side, he's fighting me about math right now. Not too badly, but enough that I know he's being challenged to think (thank you, Singapore!). Thanks for the input, everyone.

I can't get multi-quote to work.

Starr, I just consider him a gifted 7 year old. I pulled him out of second grade in public school. I'll be testing him as a second grader at the end of the year, but if I gave him second grade work, he'd revolt like he did in PS.

SailorMom and Meggie, you are wise. I think I'm going to take your advice. Thank you.

FairProspects, I like what you have to say, too.

ETA: Off to finish math. :)

Edited by KirstenH

Regarding the age and the grade thing, it is ok to still call him a second grader even though he's doing third grade work. It makes it easier for groups like scouting and church and reporting to your state. You teach whatever is appropriate to his abilities, but go with age according to the official grade. For example, Pigby is kindergarten age but reading and spelling on at least a second grade level, doing math and grammar on a first grade level, handwriting on a kindergarten level. But he's still in kindergarten. That way if his acceleration ever slows and he levels out in certain subjects he wouldn't have to redo any years.

Just some food for thought :001_smile:

Honestly I have found that being done quickly but appropriately gives kids the time to pursue their passions. They can then spend hours listening to audiobooks, building, drawing, or making up complex imaginative games. :)

:iagree: My 7 year old is doing 3rd grade or greater difficulty and she's typically done in a couple hours. Music lessons have been a good additional outlet for her. I currently call her a 2nd grader. I call my older a 5th grader and he is doing algebra and is ready for high school science. I prefer to go wide and we'll talk about early graduation when we get there. My oldest has the ability to do some theater this year he wouldn't have if we were trying to keep him at 8th or 9th grade across the board.

Edited by kck

Have you looked at adding MEP math also? It is challenging, but my kids just think of it as "fun" because it is different from Singapore Math.

I also let them check out extra library books (they choose) that go along with what we are studying and use those as extra read alouds.

It's surprising how much time in PS is wasted. Yes, homeschooling doesn't take as much time. Many times my kids are done by noon if they work hard. I don't worry about it because when I subbed in the schools I was able to see first hand how much time was wasted. Enjoy your homeschooling it's wonderful and it gives times for the kids to be kids.

Keep big piles of fiction and nonfiction library books around, plus supplies for non-guided exploration. If he loves science, maybe snap circuits. Building sets. Puzzles. Art supplies. A magnifying glass and a bug keeper. It sounds like you have a good amount of parent-directed curricula, but that's only the beginning of learning.

If he flies through seat work, great! He will have slow days and days where it is like pulling teeth to get the work done. That's how you know it is time for a break ;)

Give him lots of time for reading alone, find some educational computer games, get lego sets, lots of art supplies and find am extracurricular activity or two. We do dance, gymnastics, and musical theatre. We have also done piano and will do it again.

Keep big piles of fiction and nonfiction library books around, plus supplies for non-guided exploration. If he loves science, maybe snap circuits. Building sets. Puzzles. Art supplies. A magnifying glass and a bug keeper. It sounds like you have a good amount of parent-directed curricula, but that's only the beginning of learning.

Oh, he loves Snap Circuits, and reading, and building things, and art, and all of that. We do those things all the time anyway. I was just surprised how quickly he sped through the basics. He wasn't getting ANYTHING done half the time in PS, to the point that they suggested we medicate him. Even though everyone knew he was (more than) capable of the work, they couldn't get him to actually DO it. I'm not running into that problem so far, at least in language arts and religion (math is a slightly different story). He told me this morning "I like having you as my teacher. You teach me way cooler stuff than Miss (PreviousTeacher'sName) did."

The only place he's fighting me at all is on math. I do wonder if Singapore 3A is too easy for him. Two days in a row, he's done his assignments perfectly in a matter of just minutes ... after nearly an hour of goofing around and stalling and outright telling me it's "too easy." Maybe I'll skip ahead in the book and see if he can do a harder lesson just for fun.

Even with the math issue, we were done in less than three hours today, and that included a full science lesson. Now he's happily playing Space Physics. Friday, we're doing a field trip for science. :D

Edited by KirstenH