Menu

how many typing programs to be proficient?

DS 10 has done BBC typing and Typing Instructor and while he knows the positions of the keys he isn't very fast. I have to admit I don't give him weekly assignments. Is there something you do to make sure they keep practicing? What type of things should I have him type up? I see this same pattern in DS 7 who's also done BBC Dance Mat and now starting Typing Instructor?

This is one of those goals I want to solidify for middle school. I've seen some kids type their writing assignments (fiction short stories directly from their ideas) We're not there yet, which I think he's still young for but I'd like to have some fun way he can practice typing a few times a week.

What I did for my 3 (who were 11, 9, & 7 at the time) was just require that they do the program of their choice (Dance Mat or Instructor) for 15-30 minutes most every day. It was frustrating for the youngest at first, but now at the age of 9 he can type probably 50-55 words a minute. I let them type some brief assignments for fun if they wanted to, but never required it.

Short answer--I don't think it's the number of programs they use, but rather encouraging consistent practice with one they enjoy. BTW--they hated Typing Instructor until they became for proficient. They spent a lot of early time on Dance Mat.

Good luck!

Lisa

Typing requires daily or at least nearly daily practice in order to become proficient. Have them type 15-30 min/day at least 3 days/week. There are many typing games they can use until they start getting faster to make this more fun. Once they can type 30-40 wpm then you really want to switch to typing paragraphs instead of letters or words as found in most games.

Typing their own writing is great practice. If you are doing narrations, or other writing, let them type it, either instead of or after they write it (depending on how much they need to work on their handwriting ;))

What I did for my 3 (who were 11, 9, & 7 at the time) was just require that they do the program of their choice (Dance Mat or Instructor) for 15-30 minutes most every day. It was frustrating for the youngest at first, but now at the age of 9 he can type probably 50-55 words a minute. I let them type some brief assignments for fun if they wanted to, but never required it.

Short answer--I don't think it's the number of programs they use, but rather encouraging consistent practice with one they enjoy. BTW--they hated Typing Instructor until they became for proficient. They spent a lot of early time on Dance Mat.

Good luck!

Lisa

I also have my dc do Typing Instructor every school day. They just keep going through the games to see how fast they can get. I also have them type writing assignments. They are getting good! They are 11 and 9 and have been using the program since August.

When I took a keyboard class in high school we, well, typed. We typed for 40 mins, 5 days a week.

My son is only half way through the BBC typing 'games' but I have started asking him to type out his WWE2 assignments where appropriate. Next, I will start asking him to type history essays.

My dd never took off till I switched the keyboard layout. In her case, she's just not good with fine motor. The regular QWERTY keyboard layout involves midline crossing and lots of up and down. The Dvorak keyboard layout keeps the most essential keys on the middle row, meaning they move their fingers very little but the typing gets done. She started at 14 wpm before Christmas (QWERTY) and is now at 37 wpm this week. Pretty astounding, eh?

I also gave her an account on the computer, with her own email, etc. She was very motivated by the email account, and having it as a separate account made it easy to select the Dvorak keyboard for her account and the regular QWERTY for mine. We also use Mavis Beacon.

Dvorak for us was a miracle. She bucked it (and it left my dh wondering if I was crazy!), but now she wouldn't go back.

Short answer--I don't think it's the number of programs they use, but rather encouraging consistent practice with one they enjoy.

:iagree: My kids also started with Dance Mat and then moved to Typing Instructor. They got proficient pretty fast after they moved to TI, but they played the games a lot (at that time it was pretty much the only computer game allowed), and they also had a writing course that year, and they started typing their own papers.

Once DS knew the positions of the keys we stopped using the typing program, and I made him a card with the keyboard (colored in to remind him which fingers went with which block of keys) and he typed. A lot.

That made a whole lot more difference than the games and exercises.

DS 10 has done BBC typing and Typing Instructor and while he knows the positions of the keys he isn't very fast. I have to admit I don't give him weekly assignments. Is there something you do to make sure they keep practicing? What type of things should I have him type up? I see this same pattern in DS 7 who's also done BBC Dance Mat and now starting Typing Instructor?

This is one of those goals I want to solidify for middle school. I've seen some kids type their writing assignments (fiction short stories directly from their ideas) We're not there yet, which I think he's still young for but I'd like to have some fun way he can practice typing a few times a week.

Type. Type, type, type, type, type. Games, assignments, whatever. But he should type every day. Even after years of typing experience, I've noticed my speed slows when I've not typed for awhile. I also recommend getting him started on a computer language. He can learn computer language AND improve his typing skills.

My kids plug in 20 minutes of practice, six days a week. We use Mavis Beacon. My ds11 has large and fine motor delays, so getting him typing everything on the computer and away from pencil and pen is a high priority.

I can barely read his actual printing, and at times he can't read it either which makes it very difficult for him to do L.A. and write stories.