Menu

Sonlight core 100 for 11th grade?

Hello,

I'm thinking of going with Sonlight for my highschool daughters this next year. Dd16 is finishing up MFW WHL, so she needs to get her American History credit. DD14 is finishing up MFW AHL, and I'm thinking of combining them both in SL Core 100 next year (10th & 11th grades). Has anyone used it for upper highschool years?

I'm also not too sure I like the Hakim books...has anyone replaced them with something else?

Thanks so much...:001_smile:

Ds used Core 100 for 7th grade. I loved it as a middle school core. They changed some of the books last year and were supposed to have beefed it up a bit to make it more high school credit worthy, but when I checked the reading levels of the new books, it didn't look like it had changed much.

We liked the Hakim books, but the theme I see on these boards is you love them or hate them. They worked beautifully in SL's core, corresponded perfectly with the lit and made a great package. That said, you could replace them with any American History text that you like, if you don't like them. We'll be using America: A Narrative History next year when we do high school American History.

Just curious, why not continue with MFW for American w/Gov. over the next two years?

I'm using Sonlight 100 for my 11th grader this year. We love it! My son used it in 10th grade. It's plenty of reading, but not too much. Hakim's books keep things very interesting! I used tests from Hewitt, which helped me realize just how much my children were remembering. (One test per Hakim book)

We needed a US History credit, and we love Sonlight at our house, so that's what we went with.

I also added in Wordly Wise Vocab and Easy Grammar, to round out 1 credit for "English 11" ... or I could have called it "American Literature" as well.

If you think you want to go with Sonlight 100 next year, my set will be available in early May. (inserting link here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359156)

I used it for my middle son for eighth grade. The history part was fine, but the reading was very light. Some of the readers in Cores 3 and 4 (or whatever they are called now) were more challenging than those in Core 100. Based on that experience, I combined US History world history for the second son. I am using the Hakim books and tests, but have revved up the literature and have had my son work on numerous DBQ type questions in preparation for high school. In my opinion, Core 100 is too light for high school as is, but you could easily beef it up.

The beauty of home schooling is you get to choose.:001_smile:

I just wanted to clarify, that while I used it with ds for middle school and thought it was great for that level, I didn't say that I don't think it could be appropriate for high school. Is it on the light side? Yes. But is there plenty of information covered? Another yes. I have talked to people whose kids passed the AP exam with just a little extra studying after doing Core 100.

If it is a great fit in your homeschool, don't be swayed by what other people think of the level. There are many homeschoolers using Core 100 in high school every year and afaik none of them have destroyed their futures by doing so.

We are using Core 100 History portion for high school American History; but only 9th grade. We love the student/teacher materials being separated, and my son does all the study questions. We don't use the Hewitt tests, but we do use a home-made (by another SL Mom) study guide for each book. I would compare these guides to essay tests.

I agree with whoever said that the Hakim books are either love it or hate it. We like it well enough and I feel comfortable giving high school credit for it.

~coffee~

Ds used Core 100 for 7th grade. I loved it as a middle school core. They changed some of the books last year and were supposed to have beefed it up a bit to make it more high school credit worthy, but when I checked the reading levels of the new books, it didn't look like it had changed much.

We liked the Hakim books, but the theme I see on these boards is you love them or hate them. They worked beautifully in SL's core, corresponded perfectly with the lit and made a great package. That said, you could replace them with any American History text that you like, if you don't like them. We'll be using America: A Narrative History next year when we do high school American History.

Just curious, why not continue with MFW for American w/Gov. over the next two years?

I have been really torn between SL & MFW for the last few years. I opted to go w/ MFW this last year and it has been fine (much better than the hodge podge we had been doing before :tongue_smilie:). However, I am leaning more toward SL this year because of the analysis questions & teacher back ground in the IG...scheduled readers w/ discussion questions etc. Also, we are not using the writing portion of MFW, so I'm not sure I want to buy the whole package and just use 2/3 of it.

I am using it for 10th grade this year. I am not using the literature portion because my son has an online English class. We added the Hewitt tests. I added the REA test prep book for the first half of American History. My son passed the CLEP test with a good score. I plan for him to take the second CLEP test also.

I wouldn't have any problem using it for high school credit, obviously. The study guide notes are thought-provoking. My son and I have interesting discussions.

I am using it for 10th grade this year. I am not using the literature portion because my son has an online English class. We added the Hewitt tests. I added the REA test prep book for the first half of American History. My son passed the CLEP test with a good score. I plan for him to take the second CLEP test also.

I wouldn't have any problem using it for high school credit, obviously. The study guide notes are thought-provoking. My son and I have interesting discussions.

I do love the great discussions my children and I have had with Sonlight! Adding the CLEP prep book is another great idea.

well.

If you think you want to go with Sonlight 100 next year, my set will be available in early May. (inserting link here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359156)

Thank you for the offer, but I am going to try to use the library for as many of the books as I can, so I am just going to try to buy an IG to start with. :001_smile:

Thank you all for your thoughts. I really think this is the direction we will go this next year. For those of you that felt the need to beef it up, what did you add to it?

I just make sure he does all the mapping and we take the time to discuss the material thoroughtly.

I also bought tests to go along with the Hakim books.

As I said above, I added the REA Clep test books. He also used InstaCert flashcards. He passed the first American History test. I assume he'll also pass the second one. He is much more familiar with the second half of American History.

My son is more the engineer type, so I'm ok with his history not being super rigorous. He still devotes a lot of time to the class.

I am leaning more toward SL this year because of the analysis questions & teacher back ground in the IG...scheduled readers w/ discussion questions etc. Also, we are not using the writing portion of MFW, so I'm not sure I want to buy the whole package and just use 2/3 of it.

I used SL 100 for a high schooler in the past, so I'm agreeing that it can be done and can be worthy of high school credit. As adults now, my dd knows her American history better than my public schooled, honor roll son.

However, I felt it wasn't quite what I'd describe as easy to use for high school, since I ended up dropping most of the literature (many weren't necessary like Dear Mr. Henshaw & while a light break is welcome, they weren't her cup of tea, so I didn't see the need to *make* her read them), others were not my favorites or more than she needed on certain topics. And I never could get any help on what to do with the maps & such from SL or their forums. They were there, but no idea what to do with them. I do remember pages & pages of comprehension questions each day, plus the quiz book we added, and I would *try* to read some of the hundreds of pages of teacher notes but really it felt like one topic of bias (especially North vs. South bias) which was confusing dd as far as, "read this, but then realize it isn't all correct." I definitely did not see analysis questions in there at all, just memory questions and notes about bias, with lengthy articles to back up the fact that there was bias. There was absolutely no connection between faith and the flow of history except the missionaries but they weren't really presented in the scheme of history.

So I did think it was fine, but maybe not for the reasons I'm seeing you look for. Although, maybe it has changed or maybe my memory has failed me!

Hello,

I'm thinking of going with Sonlight for my highschool daughters this next year. Dd16 is finishing up MFW WHL, so she needs to get her American History credit. DD14 is finishing up MFW AHL, and I'm thinking of combining them both in SL Core 100 next year (10th & 11th grades). Has anyone used it for upper highschool years?

I'm also not too sure I like the Hakim books...has anyone replaced them with something else?

Thanks so much...:001_smile:

Hi.

I am currently using the recently updated version with my 9th grader and 8th grader and am, overall, fairly pleased with everything. The individual student guides, IMO, add to the "weightiness" of the program in that the notes on the Hakim material are readily accessible to the student (and thus more likely to be read:001_smile:). Really, the notes add an enormous level of depth to this core, so I feel that has been very important. Plus, I know my dc have enjoyed having all of their assignments/maps/notes altogether in one place.

With that being said, though, I have still added some "heavier" reading (e.g. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, & A Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass) to the list for my 9th grader and feel that makes for a little more "high school" level experience.

HTH a little...

Katie, will your students be doing a U.S. Government course as well?

I haven't thought much about it yet. Isn't Government covered in another Sonlight core? I know MFW spreads Am. History over 2 years & schedules economics one year, and government the other. I guess I just thought we'de cover economics & government the following year (11th & 12th grades), then my younger dd can finish up her world history credit her senior year. But I'm always open to suggestions...do you have one?

Edited by Katiebug_1976

SL does have a Government/American Lit core (Core 400) but unless they revamp it by the time you need it, I would not recommend it. It was awful. Absolutely awful. Of course that is just our opinion. I've yet to read of anyone who has used it...as is...that has liked it though. Most have had to fix it in some way or another, and many just skip it and add their American Lit and Government in elsewhere. My preference would be to just beef up Core 100 with harder Am Lit along with some book guides to help flesh it out. Core 400 does not give you any analysis with their Am Lit anyhow, so you might as well get 'er done with Core 100. Then in 12th do a semester of Government and a semester of Econ using something else.

As for Core 100, having used it with my then 8th and 10th graders, I found it perfectly acceptable for high school. With my 10th grader I added in a couple harder books for the lighter reads. Other than that, I don't recall having to do much tweaking except for the [then] writing assignments which John wrote. We did not care for them and therefore used IEW for writing that year...and this was all before they revamped Core 100 which looks much better now and something I may consider for 11th after MFW WHL next year (My ds personally REALLY likes BJU history texts though, so I will probably go with MFW's US History)

Also, one thing to watch for in the Hakim books is her liberal bias. It's pretty blatant...or so we thought. But that may not be a problem for you depending on your beliefs. ;) And even though we are far more conservative, we loved discussing her bias; comparing and contrasting it with our own. haha. My boys and I had some wonderful discussions that year. It truly was our best SL school year, probably our best school year of all time. :001_smile:

SL does have a Government/American Lit core (Core 400) but unless they revamp it by the time you need it, I would not recommend it. It was awful. Absolutely awful. Of course that is just our opinion. I've yet to read of anyone who has used it...as is...that has liked it though. Most have had to fix it in some way or another, and many just skip it and add their American Lit and Government in elsewhere. My preference would be to just beef up Core 100 with harder Am Lit along with some book guides to help flesh it out. Core 400 does not give you any analysis with their Am Lit anyhow, so you might as well get 'er done with Core 100. Then in 12th do a semester of Government and a semester of Econ using something else.

As for Core 100, having used it with my then 8th and 10th graders, I found it perfectly acceptable for high school. With my 10th grader I added in a couple harder books for the lighter reads. Other than that, I don't recall having to do much tweaking except for the [then] writing assignments which John wrote. We did not care for them and therefore used IEW for writing that year...and this was all before they revamped Core 100 which looks much better now and something I may consider for 11th after MFW WHL next year (My ds personally REALLY likes BJU history texts though, so I will probably go with MFW's US History)

Also, one thing to watch for in the Hakim books is her liberal bias. It's pretty blatant...or so we thought. But that may not be a problem for you depending on your beliefs. ;) And even though we are far more conservative, we loved discussing her bias; comparing and contrasting it with our own. haha. My boys and I had some wonderful discussions that year. It truly was our best SL school year, probably our best school year of all time. :001_smile:

Melissa,

Thank you for the heads up on SL's government core. I actually hadn't heard anything (negative or positive) about it and also hadn't thought to research it this early. I like your idea to beef up the Amer. Lit in core 100 & just have government & economics to cover for 12th grade.

What year was the IG that you used when you didn't care for the writing assignments? I am not planning on buying a new set (budget wont allow for that), so I just bought a 2005 IG and plan to use the library as much as possible. Can I ask what you didn't like about them?

I am unsure of the Hakim books. We are very conservative christian, but like you said, the liberal bias might not be such a bad thing. It might make for some interesting discussion. Luckily our library has the whole set, so I can go check them out ahead of time to be sure they will work for us.

Melissa,

Thank you for the heads up on SL's government core. I actually hadn't heard anything (negative or positive) about it and also hadn't thought to research it this early. I like your idea to beef up the Amer. Lit in core 100 & just have government & economics to cover for 12th grade.

What year was the IG that you used when you didn't care for the writing assignments? I am not planning on buying a new set (budget wont allow for that), so I just bought a 2005 IG and plan to use the library as much as possible. Can I ask what you didn't like about them?

I am unsure of the Hakim books. We are very conservative christian, but like you said, the liberal bias might not be such a bad thing. It might make for some interesting discussion. Luckily our library has the whole set, so I can go check them out ahead of time to be sure they will work for us.

I think our IG was a 2005 to 2007 or so, I honestly don't remember. :confused: I sold it all last year, and I'm still kinda kicking myself for doing that. :glare: Had I known they were revamping their IGs I may have kept the set and upgraded to the new books and IG. Oh well. :tongue_smilie:

As for the writing, my older two were not good writers and I am not a great writing teacher. John's writing assignments didn't work for us in that my boys didn't know HOW to write, and since he just assigned the writing without really much hand-holding, I wasn't sure how to grade it. IEW was a better fit all the way around.

If you are fairly confident in teaching/grading writing, you should be fine. ;)

It's too bad you were not able to at least buy the new IG for Core 100. From what I can tell, it is worth the price. The old IG is/was cumbersome. I like that the new one has everything written to the student, as well as a separate IG specifically for the teacher. The IG was one of the very reasons I sold my Core 100. I hated, hated, hated, hated SL's IGs. Did I say how much I hated them? :lol: But, in looking at the new online samples of the revamped IG, I am now liking what I see.

I think our IG was a 2005 to 2007 or so, I honestly don't remember. :confused: I sold it all last year, and I'm still kinda kicking myself for doing that. :glare: Had I known they were revamping their IGs I may have kept the set and upgraded to the new books and IG. Oh well. :tongue_smilie:

As for the writing, my older two were not good writers and I am not a great writing teacher. John's writing assignments didn't work for us in that my boys didn't know HOW to write, and since he just assigned the writing without really much hand-holding, I wasn't sure how to grade it. IEW was a better fit all the way around.

It's too bad you were not able to at least buy the new IG for Core 100. From what I can tell, it is worth the price. The old IG is/was cumbersome. I like that the new one has everything written to the student, as well as a separate IG specifically for the teacher. The IG was one of the very reasons I sold my Core 100. I hated, hated, hated, hated SL's IGs. Did I say how much I hated them? :lol: But, in looking at the new online samples of the revamped IG, I am now liking what I see.

Me, a confident writing teacher?:001_huh::D No, writing is not a strong thing for me or my girls. They both write beautifully (in my opinion), but that is all just natural. We have done our best with "teaching" writing, but like you, I am not good at grading their papers. I need a BUNCH of hand holding in this area. Right now, I am having them go through SWB's Writing With Skill along with other writing assignments from their history reading.

Well, I may have to take a close look at the older IG (when it comes in the mail) vs. the new IG. I may have to have a war with my budget to see if I can stretch it far enough to allow for a new IG if it is that much better than the old.

Thanks so much for your advice/opinions. They are greatly appreciated.:001_smile:

Totally agree---Core 400 is AWFUL!! Dd did it last year and truly hated it! It was her final year, having used SL since 6th grade, and she complained the whole time. I had her drop the Bible portion and the awful Govt book and found a more understandable Govt replacement. Therefore, ds will be doing Core 100 for 11th with a select few of the 400 books and some additional guides to cover American Lit---of which there was NO proper guidance for in 400 . He will go on to cover Core 300 for 12th with SOME of the history/historical lit from 400.

The 100 IG does a pretty good job of addressing Hakims liberal bias too!

Again----totally, 100% agree!! The older IGs are DREADFUL----cumbersome, awkward if not flat out impossible to use. The new IGs are worth every.single.penny!! In fact, I am appalled at how much dd and I missed out on using those old IGs, most especially with Core 100. I gave up trying to figure that one out early on when she started the core, and looking at the new samples compared to my old guide is truly shocking. SO much additional information is packed in the guide!

Again----totally, 100% agree!! The older IGs are DREADFUL----cumbersome, awkward if not flat out impossible to use. The new IGs are worth every.single.penny!! In fact, I am appalled at how much dd and I missed out on using those old IGs, most especially with Core 100. I gave up trying to figure that one out early on when she started the core, and looking at the new samples compared to my old guide is truly shocking. SO much additional information is packed in the guide!

Ok, now you guys are really starting to concern me (about the older IG I just bought). So, with all the talk of the changes coming out this year, are you guys talking about the currently available IG or are there changes being made to it for this next year? I haven't even looked at this because I just figured I'd buy used. But now you have me thinking...and I remember hearing something about an April 2nd deadline to buy current IG's before the changes ( YIKES! Thats only a couple days away!!). So, if I were to buy new, which IG would you recommend? Thanks...(som many decisions...:tongue_smilie:)

Ok, now you guys are really starting to concern me (about the older IG I just bought). So, with all the talk of the changes coming out this year, are you guys talking about the currently available IG or are there changes being made to it for this next year? I haven't even looked at this because I just figured I'd buy used. But now you have me thinking...and I remember hearing something about an April 2nd deadline to buy current IG's before the changes ( YIKES! Thats only a couple days away!!). So, if I were to buy new, which IG would you recommend? Thanks...(som many decisions...:tongue_smilie:)

They changed the upper level IGs last year, so don't worry about the April 2nd deadline. Have you gotten a free 3 week sample of Core 100 yet? Do that and compare it to the older one you bought---- the differences are immense! The BIGGEST thing they finally fixed is that ALL the notes and full questions that were in the Student Question section are now ALL in the parent guide too----the older IGs do not contain this information which made it necessary for the parent to hold BOTH guides at once and do a LOT of flipping and checking and reading to be able to properly interact with your student and the material. It truly was a royal PITA :glare: If you are looking at any of the upper level IGs, you will want to purchase both the Student and Parent guides if you want your student to independently answer questions before you go over them together--- otherwise just a Parent guide would suffice if you just want to do it all orally.

They changed the upper level IGs last year, so don't worry about the April 2nd deadline. Have you gotten a free 3 week sample of Core 100 yet? Do that and compare it to the older one you bought---- the differences are immense! The BIGGEST thing they finally fixed is that ALL the notes and full questions that were in the Student Question section are now ALL in the parent guide too----the older IGs do not contain this information which made it necessary for the parent to hold BOTH guides at once and do a LOT of flipping and checking and reading to be able to properly interact with your student and the material. It truly was a royal PITA :glare: If you are looking at any of the upper level IGs, you will want to purchase both the Student and Parent guides if you want your student to independently answer questions before you go over them together--- otherwise just a Parent guide would suffice if you just want to do it all orally.

Oh good! I'm glad I don't have to panic & make a quick decision. I don't have the free 3 week sample yet, but I will definately go look for it and compare it with the older guide as soon as I receive it in the mail (I just bought it, so it hasn't arrived yet). I am definately all for ease of use (having 5 school aged kids & 1 toddler running around). After hearing the several "votes" for the new IG, I feel myself already leaning that way even though I haven't even looked at either one yet (patience...patience...patience...did I mention that patience is not one of my better qualities?!:D). Thanks so much for killing the April 2nd deadline for me, though. That will slow me down a bit more so I can take some time to make the right decision.

I am very interested in this topic and in fact, was searching the forums for help in deciding between Core 100 OR MFW. It seems like Core 100 would be best for U.S. Hist & MFW would be preferable for World Hist.??

So what is the Apr. 2nd deadline for Sonlight? I've already ordered the 3 week sample cores.

And, has anyone ever taught Core 100 (or a high school core) in a co op? I am considering that. What I really want is to offer a high school U.S. History or World Hist course with lots of reading & maps, medium writing and relevant tests that cover the importance of the events and not just the factual recollection of events/people?

There has been lots of good info in this thread. Thanks, OP!! Any more advice that would benefit the OP and my goal as well as the co op angle?

Btw, I'd expect the co op to be for about advanced 7th graders thru 9th-10th graders?

Thanks - Lisaj

I am very interested in this topic and in fact, was searching the forums for help in deciding between Core 100 OR MFW. It seems like Core 100 would be best for U.S. Hist & MFW would be preferable for World Hist.??

Just to clarify, I'm not sure anyone is saying SL is better for US history than MFW? I did use SL for US history in the past, but I think I will be much happier at my house with MFW for US history this time.

However, the OP didn't ask about other programs :)

Julie

Thanks, Julie. I didn't mean to summarize that opinion from the thread, but rather from my own browsing of the two currics. (Since that is my dilemma - teach USH or World Hist next year? Sorry if it appeared that way.

I don't want to get the thread off topic, but I was not too interested in MFW's taking 2 years to do U.S. History? (i.e. USH to 1877 & USH 1877 to Present)

Thanks - Lisa J

Thanks, Julie. I didn't mean to summarize that opinion from the thread, but rather from my own browsing of the two currics. (Since that is my dilemma - teach USH or World Hist next year? Sorry if it appeared that way.

I don't want to get the thread off topic, but I was not too interested in MFW's taking 2 years to do U.S. History? (i.e. USH to 1877 & USH 1877 to Present)

Thanks - Lisa J

Oh, okay. I thought you had browsed this thread only, and I just wanted to clarify. My mistake :)

(By the way, MFW does one semester of US history in 11th, and one semester of gov, but maybe you already noticed that.)

Just to clarify, I'm not sure anyone is saying SL is better for US history than MFW? I did use SL for US history in the past, but I think I will be much happier at my house with MFW for US history this time.

However, the OP didn't ask about other programs :)

Julie

Thank you guys for trying to keep the thread on topic. I am coming from using MFW with both my highschool dds (AHL & WHL). While we have mostly enjoyed it this year, I didn't really want to spread US history across two years either. And since I have drooled over SL for years, I figure I should just bite the bullet and try it out. That way I will know one way or another if all that drooling was worth it.:D I'm figuring on using SL core 100 for US history, then I'll evaluate whether to go bock to MFW for world history for dd #2 after that. I have really appreciated the comments everyone has posted. They have been really helpful to me (and hopefully others following this thread). Feel free to keep them coming...:001_smile:

Thanks - Lisa J

Thank you guys for trying to keep this thread on topic. I am coming from using MFW with my 2 highschool dd's (AHL & WHL). While we have mostly enjoyed this year w/ MFW, I really don't want to spread US history out over 2 years, even though they would be earning their government & economics credits as well. And since I have drooled over SL for years, I figured that I might as well bite the bullet and try it out. At least then I will know if all my drooling was worth while (hehehe).

I have really appreciated all the comments posted by you guys. They have been very helpful to me (and hopefully others who are following this thread). Please feel free to keep them coming... :0)

Edited by Katiebug_1976

One thing you may not have thought of...

Another reason I originally decided to leave SL in the high school years was due to their lack of testing/quizzing, or frankly having anything high school level grade worthy. I recall finding it hard to grant grades; it's rather difficult and subjective to grade discussions and the student questions, in my opinion, were silly and not high school level. In the elementary years it was workable, but in high school I found it much harder to have something in which to substantiate the grades given...let alone how to give said grades. Now, with the core changes this may be easier to accomplish, but you will still not have quizzes and tests as SL does not believe in such. I find that thinking frustrating for high school because I can assure you college classes give quizzes and tests in their courses.

I've always believed that elementary is practice for high school and high school practice for college. Seems that high school is when a child should be experiencing the difficulties of studying for a history exam. This is one big reason why I left SL with my youngest and moved to TOG for middle school. TOG had lots of gradable material to work with. Now, having said that, MFW AHL does not have a lot of quizzes/tests either! But, even so, I have found it easier to grade than I did SL so I have been able to work around that.

Now with MFW's use of BJU in their US courses you would have wonderful high school level challenging quizzes, tests and activity pages. I admit that that is important to me at this juncture of my ds's schooling and even now I am a little put-out that MFW WHL (which I have for next year) does not have much in the way of tests and quizzes. It almost makes me want to send it back and find something else...but MFW was such a good fit for my ds's personality that I am willing to work around it's cons for one more year. :tongue_smilie:

Anyhow, having quizzes and tests may not be important to you, but I thought I would bring that point up just in case it is and you hadn't considered it. ;)

"I really don't want to spread US history out over 2 years"

Another thought here is that I understand that it is possible to combine the two years of MFW USH into one with the help of the folks at MFW. Currently, that is the plan we have for DD#1 since we started AHL in her 10th grade year (after coming from SL). I will be researching this more thoroughly next year, but thought I'd mention it as another option.

One thing you may not have thought of...

Another reason I originally decided to leave SL in the high school years was due to their lack of testing/quizzing, or frankly having anything high school level grade worthy. I recall finding it hard to grant grades; it's rather difficult and subjective to grade discussions and the student questions, in my opinion, were silly and not high school level. In the elementary years it was workable, but in high school I found it much harder to have something in which to substantiate the grades given...let alone how to give said grades. Now, with the core changes this may be easier to accomplish, but you will still not have quizzes and tests as SL does not believe in such. I find that thinking frustrating for high school because I can assure you college classes give quizzes and tests in their courses.

I've always believed that elementary is practice for high school and high school practice for college. Seems that high school is when a child should be experiencing the difficulties of studying for a history exam. This is one big reason why I left SL with my youngest and moved to TOG for middle school. TOG had lots of gradable material to work with. Now, having said that, MFW AHL does not have a lot of quizzes/tests either! But, even so, I have found it easier to grade than I did SL so I have been able to work around that.

Now with MFW's use of BJU in their US courses you would have wonderful high school level challenging quizzes, tests and activity pages. I admit that that is important to me at this juncture of my ds's schooling and even now I am a little put-out that MFW WHL (which I have for next year) does not have much in the way of tests and quizzes. It almost makes me want to send it back and find something else...but MFW was such a good fit for my ds's personality that I am willing to work around it's cons for one more year. :tongue_smilie:

Anyhow, having quizzes and tests may not be important to you, but I thought I would bring that point up just in case it is and you hadn't considered it. ;)

Hmmm...I guess I hadn't actually thought about the grading. Since I have not yet received the core 100 IG in the mail, I have not had the opportunity to look through it all. So the ease of grading is not something I had thought of. Thank you for bringing it up. I will definately have to look into that.

"I really don't want to spread US history out over 2 years"

Another thought here is that I understand that it is possible to combine the two years of MFW USH into one with the help of the folks at MFW. Currently, that is the plan we have for DD#1 since we started AHL in her 10th grade year (after coming from SL). I will be researching this more thoroughly next year, but thought I'd mention it as another option.

But wouldn't you have to buy both year 3 & 4 to combine them into one year? If that's the case, our budget just would not allow for that. I'm curious, though, do you have any more info on how they might combining them? Thanks

We use the Hewitt tests for the History of US books. You could also use writing about historical topics via outlining then writing for grading purposes. It just depends on your own personal philosophy about testing/grading when it comes to history. For us, between the Hewitt tests and the IMMENSE amount of discussion via the IG---I feel satisfied that my kids know their history without having to use any more intense methods of memorize-to-regurgitate history. In fact, this is exactly why I always hated history, especially in high school! And we also don't ' teach to college' ;). As far as SL or MFW being better than one another---I think it's just a matter of learning style and intensity. sL has very intense reading schedules and MFW is more relaxed in this department--- they are both excellent programs!

But wouldn't you have to buy both year 3 & 4 to combine them into one year? If that's the case, our budget just would not allow for that. I'm curious, though, do you have any more info on how they might combining them? Thanks

Katie,

I asked a friend of mine whose son had to do something similar when he was in 12th grade. The MFW program US2 wasn't ready and they had to graduate. But for one year of history as pilot families in US1 from mfw... this is what they told me.

Yeah, he did in 12th grade – US History to 1877, plus the semester of history that would be taught in US History 1877 to Present. All of the books we needed for this additional semester of US history were included in the purchase of US History to 1877. (The BJU stuff.) The second semester of history was studied independently following the format presented in the lesson plans for US History to 1877.And he did the REA study guide for CLEP and passed. Looked nice on applications.

back to me...

I have my US2 manual here and there are a few other things in US2 for the history that semester, but I wouldn't worry on it.

On the other hand... since your daughter isn't a senior, it might not have the same flow and feel if you mixed and matched the two years. I just got a mild panic attack trying to see how it could work (I have both US1 and US2 here at the house. I bought them a few paychecks apart and now I dont' have to buy US2 next year.) but I can't plan like that. remove the gov't and wait until 12th grade... and then what about the literature? I'm ok... mild attack. I'm not that skilled.

... I'm looking forward to the non standard approach in the mfw sequence. kinda sounds interesting to study gov't when the country started as a country. then pick back up in history after that. plus we hope to use the clep study guide and do US1 clep. or try anyway. couldn't hurt.

I don't know if that helps with your research. Hope something does.

-crystal

Has anyone supplimented with the Critical Thinking Company's American History books?

http://www.criticalthinking.com/getProductDetails.do?code=c&id=07417

I was thinking of doing Sonlight in the 9th grade and I saw this at the thrift store and bought several books---

for all I know SL already has this in the package.

Any thoughts??

Lara

Thanks everyone for your thoughts & suggestions. I received my SL IG's in the mail today and briefly looked through them (couldn't wait...but had to get school done today so will go through them more in depth later on). I have to say...before they came, I was also swayed by Biblioplan (I didn't know they had revised everything until the other day), but my kids are not at the same place in history so it would take some work (slow some down & speed some up) to get them all on the same topic again. However, after looking through my SL IG's I am really excited and like what I see. Now I have some serious comparing & thinking to do. What to do...what to do...only time, research & LOTS of prayer will tell. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

**Don't think I am trying to close out this thread (just wanted to be sure everyone knew how much I appreciated the help). I will always welcome any thoughts or advice you have to share. :001_smile:

• 3 months later...
I used SL 100 for a high schooler in the past, so I'm agreeing that it can be done and can be worthy of high school credit. As adults now, my dd knows her American history better than my public schooled, honor roll son.

However, I felt it wasn't quite what I'd describe as easy to use for high school, since I ended up dropping most of the literature (many weren't necessary like Dear Mr. Henshaw & while a light break is welcome, they weren't her cup of tea, so I didn't see the need to *make* her read them), others were not my favorites or more than she needed on certain topics. And I never could get any help on what to do with the maps & such from SL or their forums. They were there, but no idea what to do with them. I do remember pages & pages of comprehension questions each day, plus the quiz book we added, and I would *try* to read some of the hundreds of pages of teacher notes but really it felt like one topic of bias (especially North vs. South bias) which was confusing dd as far as, "read this, but then realize it isn't all correct." I definitely did not see analysis questions in there at all, just memory questions and notes about bias, with lengthy articles to back up the fact that there was bias. There was absolutely no connection between faith and the flow of history except the missionaries but they weren't really presented in the scheme of history.

So I did think it was fine, but maybe not for the reasons I'm seeing you look for. Although, maybe it has changed or maybe my memory has failed me!

Please forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I was searching for Sonlight info and this post just jumped out at me (and I realize Julie is probably not around these days, but). We used Sonlight when my kids were smaller and loved all the literature, but this is pretty much exactly how I felt as they started getting older, and part of why we moved away from it. I read statements from other moms about all the fantastic discussions they have with their kids and I wonder, where on earth are they getting that? I look in my IG (I've got a 2008 Core 100) and it's nothing but pages upon pages of comprehension and memory questions with precious little analysis - and I don't agree with John about a lot of things, anyhow.

I have always felt like I am missing an entire section of my IG or don't have the password for the Secret Set of Awesome Analysis Questions that everyone else has, or something.

I'm considering pulling out Core 100 to use with ds16 this year, and I'd love for it to be a great year with terrific discussions, memorable history, fantastic books - the whole enchilada. But I've always been completely clueless about how to make that *work*.

Anybody?

Please forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I was searching for Sonlight info and this post just jumped out at me (and I realize Julie is probably not around these days, but). We used Sonlight when my kids were smaller and loved all the literature, but this is pretty much exactly how I felt as they started getting older, and part of why we moved away from it. I read statements from other moms about all the fantastic discussions they have with their kids and I wonder, where on earth are they getting that? I look in my IG (I've got a 2008 Core 100) and it's nothing but pages upon pages of comprehension and memory questions with precious little analysis - and I don't agree with John about a lot of things, anyhow.

I have always felt like I am missing an entire section of my IG or don't have the password for the Secret Set of Awesome Analysis Questions that everyone else has, or something.

I'm considering pulling out Core 100 to use with ds16 this year, and I'd love for it to be a great year with terrific discussions, memorable history, fantastic books - the whole enchilada. But I've always been completely clueless about how to make that *work*.

Anybody?

:iagree:

I jumped ship after the Eastern Hemisphere core for this exact reason. I even remember a running discussion that year on their forums about how the questions they gave seemed to actively hide interesting content.

My son used Core 100 in 10th grade, my daughter used it in 11th grade. Core 100 is a little "light" compared to say .. Core 300, but we still loved the history readers and books. My kids LOVE to learn through literature, not textbooks! It is high school worthy, especially if you try the CLEP testing at the end of the school year.

I think that those who are getting the great discussions, lit analysis, etc. are using additional resources or have read a large portion of the material themselves.

I've always gotten the impression that the people having great discussions are the ones to whom this comes naturally (the same people who can suck the marrow out of Ambleside, I would guess) - but that, sadly, is so not our family. I need a Sonlight Analysis for Dummies, or some other roadmap that will help guide some of those discussions for us.

So yeah - I've got to try and pull it together from outside resources, I guess.

I've always gotten the impression that the people having great discussions are the ones to whom this comes naturally (the same people who can suck the marrow out of Ambleside, I would guess) - but that, sadly, is so not our family. I need a Sonlight Analysis for Dummies, or some other roadmap that will help guide some of those discussions for us.

Some of it came naturally for me, just because I was familiar with the topic, but much of it I found elsewhere. I was already supplementing by Core 6.

I mostly agree, I often do this naturally, but I PAY money for someone else to do it because sometimes (maybe a lot of the time :D) I just don't have the energy to do it.

We had great discussions with SL Core 100, but did it in 7th grade. I read all the books and ds is actually willing to discuss... "did you pick up the symbolism of..." "I love how the theme is similar to that in...". My ds is a deep thinker and loves to analyze. Maybe that is what makes it work.

Dd on the other hand, well, not. :glare: