Menu

Standardized bubbles and fine motor difficulties

My 8 year old needs to take the ITBS this year per state regulations. I'm not worried about his academic performance, but I don't think he's going to be able to fill in the tiny bubbles well because of fine motor control issues. What have you done with your kiddos that struggle in this way?

I photocopied the test and allowed my son to circle the answers. I then filled in the bubbles myself. But I had him do it this way because of visual issues rather than motor skill issues. The other thing you can do is tell him to put a dot in the space for his answer and then you go back and fill in the bubbles completely.Of course, this only works if you are giving the test yourself.

Also, which level will he be taking, the one for 2nd graders or the one for 3rd graders? Because the one for 2nd graders is pretty motor skill friendly. The bubbles are in the test booklet itself, meaning that they are right next the the answer (and not on a separate sheet).

I photocopied the test and allowed my son to circle the answers. I then filled in the bubbles myself. But I had him do it this way because of visual issues rather than motor skill issues. The other thing you can do is tell him to put a dot in the space for his answer and then you go back and fill in the bubbles completely.Of course, this only works if you are giving the test yourself.

Also, which level will he be taking, the one for 2nd graders or the one for 3rd graders? Because the one for 2nd graders is pretty motor skill friendly. The bubbles are in the test booklet itself, meaning that they are right next the the answer (and not on a separate sheet).

I think the dot would be a good idea. I am giving him the test so that should work. They are right next to the answer, but the issue is the small nature of the dot. He can't color in lines to save his life... those dots are going to drive him nuts and I'll have to do all kinds of erasing if I let him do it. I think a small dot in the center would be fine though... then I'll go through and fill them in. Thanks!

Teachers in schools are allowed to go back after the students and erase stray marks, complete the filling of the circles to make sure the scanner can read them, etc.

Not in my state. As soon as the kids finish the test, the sheets are sealed, collected and sent in. The teacher is not supposed to even look at them. Based on what I see on teaching boards, this is the case in most states now-test security is taken to much greater extremes for even elementary school tests than it was when I was in school, or even when I stopped teaching in PS 8 years ago. Patterns of erasure marks and changes on test sheets have caused entire schools to have their test results invalidated.

My suggestion to the OP-get a letter from a neuropsychologist, developmental psychologist, neurologist...someone qualified to diagnose a fine motor lag requesting that the student have accommodations on standardized test. Each test has a list of acceptable accommodations, but the most likely would be "circle answers in test book, test hand-scored" as opposed to scribing, because it doesn't require another adult to handle the student's answers before they're sent to the company. If there's a place to file for non-standard conditions with the company you get the ITBS from, file for it and request it formally. If not, send the documentation in with the test when you return the test, with an explanation, and keep copies

The purpose for this is that you need to establish a record of such accommodations being given in order to have good shot of getting them on the SAT/ACT and other major tests. While it used to be quite easy to get special accommodations for the big tests without such a paper trail, it's now close to impossible. Since HS'd kids don't generally have an IEP or 504 plan in place, it's harder to establish that paper trail. Even if BJU or whoever doesn't require it now, it's worth it to take the time and do it. I'm turning 40 this year-and STILL keep my 504 paperwork for standardized testing up to date.

Wow, things HAVE changed a lot. Where I worked, we did that for ALL the tests, all the classes. Took hours and hours. We weren't changing anything, just tidying.

If that's the new environment, then what dmmetler described is the way to go.

BTW, none of my business, but in addition to the neuropsych eval, have you thought about an OT or vision eval? You want to make sure you know why this is happening and whether there's anything to be done about it. OT helped us quite a bit. On the vision, you'd want a developmental optometrist from COVD, not a regular optometrist.

My middle dd has fine motor issues. She is 16yo now and still struggles significantly with buttons and cannot tie a bow.

She did ITBS starting in 3rd grade. I had her do the best she could on the bubbling and then I tidied it up afterwards. She was in 8th grade when I finally didn't have to fix her bubbles.

Not in my state. As soon as the kids finish the test, the sheets are sealed, collected and sent in.

The instructions for the ITBS specifically say to clean up the bubbles after the kids are finished.

My suggestion to the OP-get a letter from a neuropsychologist, developmental psychologist, neurologist...someone qualified to diagnose a fine motor lag requesting that the student have accommodations on standardized test. Each test has a list of acceptable accommodations, but the most likely would be "circle answers in test book, test hand-scored" as opposed to scribing, because it doesn't require another adult to handle the student's answers before they're sent to the company. If there's a place to file for non-standard conditions with the company you get the ITBS from, file for it and request it formally. If not, send the documentation in with the test when you return the test, with an explanation, and keep copies

The purpose for this is that you need to establish a record of such accommodations being given in order to have good shot of getting them on the SAT/ACT and other major tests. While it used to be quite easy to get special accommodations for the big tests without such a paper trail, it's now close to impossible. Since HS'd kids don't generally have an IEP or 504 plan in place, it's harder to establish that paper trail. Even if BJU or whoever doesn't require it now, it's worth it to take the time and do it. I'm turning 40 this year-and STILL keep my 504 paperwork for standardized testing up to date.

It is true that it is a good idea to have a paper trail showing that accommodations were actually used throughout a student's school years, but I'm not sure that the testing company is the best place to do this.

We have test accommodations in my ds's 504 plan (we are using K12 with him this year). The accommodations allow him to circle directly into the test booklet and to allow the proctor to transfer the answers into the sheet.

There is a section in the ITBS paperwork that allows you to state any accommodations given..... If the state is administering the test, they are more than familiar with the accomodations that are allowed.

I have alternatively seen children being given more time...but my kid with vision and fine motor issues would still struggle if given all of the time in the world. ;)

My son was in public school with an IEP through the beginning of 5th grade. As a part of his IEP he got special help with the state testing because of his learning disabilities.

In language arts, he got all the questions and answers read to him because he couldn't read due to his dyslexia. In math he didn't get any special help.

If my son didn't have the ability to fill in the bubbles then as part of his IEP, the bubbles would be filled in for him.

I think you should help your son fill in the bubbles.

Since you are giving him the test, I think you should accomodate him the way he needs to be accomodated. Lots of PS teachers would do the same thing whether they were supposed to or not. It is just the right thing to do. He is being tested on what he knows, not whether he can color within the lines! :001_smile: My dd has fine motor issues as well and I have always helped her fill in the circles - even when the answer was wrong.:tongue_smilie:

You probably will need some documentation down the road for tests you aren't administering but that won't make a difference when you are giving the tests yourself.

Thanks everyone! Very good things to think about. He's doing well with just putting a dot in the middle of the bubble. I am going to have to clean it up for him, but I'll do that and not feel bad about it. I would never change his answers, just clean it up.

I will investigate the paper trail issue. Good points!

His eyes have been checked... developmentally he is just behind in some areas. He does have an eye condition that causes one eye to wander, but it doesn't seem to be effecting his reading/writing. He has even been in a study at a major hospital that did lots of tests on how his eyes worked together.

We tried OT, but all they did was work on handwriting which I can do for a lot less than $300/hour! I wasn't happy with OT at all. He's had so many other appointments that I gave up on it for now. His writing is improving so I'm not too worried, he's just slow to develop in some areas.

Thanks everyone!