Menu

Is anyone else playing with the new HSTracker online program?

Tenaj

I purchased a month subscription to test it out and I think I like it. Not sure if that's a good thing or not? I know it's not necessarily good for my pocketbook and homeschool budget but after playing with it for about a week now, I think I'm hooked.

I like the fact that I don't have to worry about my computer crashing and losing my data. I also like being able to jump between my two computers without transferring the data.

I'm still learning some tricks with it. Part of my problem was that I'm so used to how HSTracker Plus works, and the screens look just enough alike that I get confused between the two, but it only took me over the weekend to make the adjustment.

I don't like the $60/year but my dh seems to be convinced that it's a reasonable price for the service.

Anybody else have likes or dislikes?

I looked briefly, but haven't bought the trial yet. Honestly, I think it is silly as a HST+ owner I should have to pay for the trial. I think a month free to current users would have been nice. I love the idea, but the $60/year seems kind of outrageous. I still may end up doing it, but I have to get over the sticker shock first. :glare:

I looked briefly, but haven't bought the trial yet. Honestly, I think it is silly as a HST+ owner I should have to pay for the trial. I think a month free to current users would have been nice. I love the idea, but the $60/year seems kind of outrageous. I still may end up doing it, but I have to get over the sticker shock first. :glare:

I wondered why they didn't offer a free trial first also. Of course, I've owned HST+ for about 8 years and they've been updating it free for me all that time so I guess I've gotten my money's worth out of that program :)

Like I said, I thought the $60/year seemed high, too, but my dh who works in the computer field didn't even blink an eye.

I never tried Tracker because I started out on Skedtrack. It's free and I can pull it up anywhere on any computer. It's not the "most" user-friendly system but after some playing around on it you get the hang of it.

I have been using it and have the rest of this year + most of next year's stuff entered into it. I was a user of HST+ but I wanted to be able to pull it up on anything, including my IPad and HST Online can do that.

My only complaint, and its kind of big is that when I need to enter a lot of assignments into a Lesson Plan if they don't follow a neat "Lesson 1, Lesson 2..." kind of format or pages or whatever then it becomes extremely tedious to enter the information.

In HST+ I could go into data entry mode and just type in custom pages and assignments within a lesson plan one right after the other but with the online option you add them in one line at a time and there are a couple mouse clicks between entries and page refreshes. Not good for trying to enter ToG information or my own custom Literature for the year.

I do really like it for the way it displays agenda, reports, etc.

I have been debating this. I have the free basic version on my laptop and I love it. I got the new iPad and can't use the basic free version on my iPad. So I went to research what I could do about it and saw this. The only issue is it being online. I need to go read more about it because I want to be able to use it without connecting to the Internet. So I might need to purchase a different version.

My only complaint, and its kind of big is that when I need to enter a lot of assignments into a Lesson Plan if they don't follow a neat "Lesson 1, Lesson 2..." kind of format or pages or whatever then it becomes extremely tedious to enter the information.

In HST+ I could go into data entry mode and just type in custom pages and assignments within a lesson plan one right after the other but with the online option you add them in one line at a time and there are a couple mouse clicks between entries and page refreshes. Not good for trying to enter ToG information or my own custom Literature for the year.

I do really like it for the way it displays agenda, reports, etc.

The lesson plan entry is my biggest quibble. I've been playing with it though and I think I'm going to use the multi-add tool to just pop in generic Day 1, Day 2, . . . assignments and then go back and edit it using the arrows that let you flip from one assignment to the next. It may not be any faster then just entering them one at a time. I've not had much time to play with it once I thought of it.

I really like the way the reports are, I like having a notice that there are uncompleted assignments, the agenda is wonderful - love the ability to slide the boxes around into an order I like.

hmmm so, can you not add lessons like in HST+? One of my favorite features is being able to schedule things like WWE-- Week 1 Day 1 Week 1 day 2 through week 36. Will the online version do that? If it will only do Lesson 1 through ???? then scholaric online does that for free...

ETA: is there anyway to sinc your online HST with HST+? I know it said you could upload HST+ lessons to the online version, but wondering if you could easily go back and forth? I do this now from my laptop and desktop by saving to a network, I just really want something online or iPad friendly.

I just ordered a one-month trial. I was waiting for My Well-Planned Day Software, but they've delayed launching until mid-May.

I just set up our school, and now I'm setting up chores. I haven't used it to track assignments yet. So far, it's pretty user friendly. The information/help features are easy to find and actually helpful. I'm on a Mac, so of course I'm glad it's online - no worries about compatibility.

The biggest question is whether it's too cumbersome to be beneficial. I have three kids who are doing quite a few similar assignments, and I'm not sure it will be easy to add an assignment for all three of them and then check it off for all three. (I guess that would be true of almost any homeschool software - not specific to this online version. :) )

I just ordered a one-month trial. I was waiting for My Well-Planned Day Software, but they've delayed launching until mid-May.

I just set up our school, and now I'm setting up chores. I haven't used it to track assignments yet. So far, it's pretty user friendly. The information/help features are easy to find and actually helpful. I'm on a Mac, so of course I'm glad it's online - no worries about compatibility.

The biggest question is whether it's too cumbersome to be beneficial. I have three kids who are doing quite a few similar assignments, and I'm not sure it will be easy to add an assignment for all three of them and then check it off for all three. (I guess that would be true of almost any homeschool software - not specific to this online version. :) )

I would hope it was easy to do, it is easy on the HST+. That feature (assigning things for multiple children) was one of the reasons I got it to begin with.

hmmm so, can you not add lessons like in HST+? One of my favorite features is being able to schedule things like WWE-- Week 1 Day 1 Week 1 day 2 through week 36. Will the online version do that? If it will only do Lesson 1 through ???? then scholaric online does that for free...

ETA: is there anyway to sinc your online HST with HST+? I know it said you could upload HST+ lessons to the online version, but wondering if you could easily go back and forth? I do this now from my laptop and desktop by saving to a network, I just really want something online or iPad friendly.

Oh, it does that easily - just like HST+. What it doesn't do quite as easily are assignments that don't necessarily follow a pattern. For instance, I'm using MFW high school for one of my kids next year and each day's assignments are different with different resources used during a week or even a day so you have to enter each thing. That seems to be a bit more cumbersome then it did with HST+.

Once you have a lesson plan in, it becomes a bit easier to edit so that's what I was talking about. I'm going to try to just put in some generic lesson plans and then edit them into what I want. I'll have to play with a bit to see which method is easier.

Adding the patterns like Week 1 Day 1, Week 1 Day 2, is still very, very easy.

You can sync you HST+ into your Tracker online. You can transfer your whole database or just transfer lesson plans if you want. I've choosen to just transfer the lesson plans I want since I felt like my old database was all cluttered up with things we weren't using anymore. My goal is to set up the online so that I can keep my 14 yods highschool grades and transcripts all up-to-date. I never did get my older kids records really in working order on my old database so it turned into just an assignment program. My library was all cluttered up as well with things I had sold so I really wanted a do-over on that part.

Transferring the lesson plans is really slick. Takes very little time and no effort. Just a quick two or three click process.

Sorry, just reread, and I don't think you'd be able to keep the HST+ and the online linked up. Not sure why you would want to exactly. Your online is accessible from any computer connected to the internet.

Edited by JanOH

It's very easy to assign to multiple kids. In fact, I think it's a bit easier/user friendly than it is in HST+. It's just a checkbox.

I have been debating this. I have the free basic version on my laptop and I love it. I got the new iPad and can't use the basic free version on my iPad. So I went to research what I could do about it and saw this. The only issue is it being online. I need to go read more about it because I want to be able to use it without connecting to the Internet. So I might need to purchase a different version.

It won't work without being connected to internet. I'm slightly concerned about that also. I used to type in lesson plans in the car on my laptop :) All of the data is kept online - the only way to access your records is from the internet. You'll probably want to stick with basic or plus if you need something offline but I don't think you can use it with the ipad.

Oh, it does that easily - just like HST+. What it doesn't do quite as easily are assignments that don't necessarily follow a pattern. For instance, I'm using MFW high school for one of my kids next year and each day's assignments are different with different resources used during a week or even a day so you have to enter each thing. That seems to be a bit more cumbersome then it did with HST+.

Once you have a lesson plan in, it becomes a bit easier to edit so that's what I was talking about. I'm going to try to just put in some generic lesson plans and then edit them into what I want. I'll have to play with a bit to see which method is easier.

Adding the patterns like Week 1 Day 1, Week 1 Day 2, is still very, very easy.

You can sync you HST+ into your Tracker online. You can transfer your whole database or just transfer lesson plans if you want. I've choosen to just transfer the lesson plans I want since I felt like my old database was all cluttered up with things we weren't using anymore. My goal is to set up the online so that I can keep my 14 yods highschool grades and transcripts all up-to-date. I never did get my older kids records really in working order on my old database so it turned into just an assignment program. My library was all cluttered up as well with things I had sold so I really wanted a do-over on that part.

Transferring the lesson plans is really slick. Takes very little time and no effort. Just a quick two or three click process.

Sorry, just reread, and I don't think you'd be able to keep the HST+ and the online linked up. Not sure why you would want to exactly. Your online is accessible from any computer connected to the internet.

thanks! Now if only I could get over that $60/year! :glare:

I've used HST since 2002. I upgraded to the plus and went to check out the online. I had fallen out of love with HST+ for a couple of years just because I couldn't get the report to display like i wanted and it wasn't working just right like I wanted. (still used it to a degree - just didn't love it.)

I did the trial and within about 10 minutes fell all in love again. :001_wub::001_wub: The only complaints I have is the mention from pp. you can't type directly into the grid for the lesson plans. Knowing the program and it's changes over the years, if it is possible, they wil make that happen in the future. The company as a whole is very responsive to customer feedback and truly strive to make the program do what the customers ask. And many times, changes we ask are in the works and planned for future releases. It is the program it is today because of the many many request of customers and by the owners asking for feedback regularly on their forums.

All the kids and the hubby have looked at it online and are for the first time able to naviagate HST, understand what's due and absolutely love the agenda. It's what we have painstakingly been trying to do in google calendar. so much easier and somehow works in a way that PLus didn't. Which doesn't make sense since the agenda is essentially the same as in PLus. But Online it somehow clicks for my group and they are excited to click on their work. Hubs is able to now see what they are doing and direct them when I am not here. Why he couldn't do that with printed sheets or viewing the agenda in Plus, I don't know but Online is making it happen now.

Lesson plan sharing is now a snap. I'm going through mine and making them online friendly ( myplans were optimized for how i use plus) and then just clicking to share them. One of the main requests Was to be able to share the work load of data entry. That is even easier now.

60 a year isn't bad as I've turned down other online programs with similar pricing structure. It's 5 a month basically. And to never worry about losing my stuff and to access it any where and have the kids easily use it is worth it to this very frugal budget.

Overall, I'm pleased and am fairly certain it will be improved as customers use it.

I have enjoyed HST+ and I'm sure it can do much more than how I'm using it. I bought it because I was hoping there would be a way for me to keep grades and do transcripts when my kids get to highschool but so far I really haven't been able to figure that out. I feel like a need a class!

My kids also like the 1 page assignment grid but it drives me crazy that it doesn't print it in the same order for each day. If I have several things under Language arts that won't match up across the page.

It's working but more for an assignment tracker for now. Need to play around with it more I suppose!

Ohh, I hadn't even thought of maybe entering in all my data into the HST+ lesson plan and then just uploading that to HST Online. That might work until they add in the feature to edit directly into the grid.

Right now what I'm doing for the oddball plans is writing the plans down on paper quarter planner for that particular subject with "week 1" as rows and "day 1, day 2, day 3, day 4, day 5" down as columns. Then in HST Online I just enter multiple assignments into the Lesson Plan as "Week 5 day 1, day 2, day 3, day 4, day 5" and just look at the quarter planner but that isn't how I *want* it to work.

I do believe that they will improve on it and make things easier. For what it is right now, I love it. I also was slipping away from utilizing HST+ the way I could/should and I hope this switch to Online will really make things easier for me.

As it is, I still use a paper planner for daily use. I have everything entered into HST Online and then generate the assignments for the week and then hand write them into my paper planner lol I can't seem to drop the paper planner even though I know that its redundant. Its just that HST doesn't do exactly what I want yet and I have a set way that I like my information organized for using every day.

The $60 a year, I don't believe is a bad price at all. I am satisfied to pay it for what it offers now and will be a lot happier when they tweak things to make it easier to enter in large amounts of data. I only do the large amounts of data entry about 1x a year though.

You'll probably want to stick with basic or plus if you need something offline but I don't think you can use it with the ipad.

Actually, it will work with the iPad. I use LogMeIn Ignition, and it will pull up anything on my main computer as if I were sitting right in front of it. :001_smile:

thanks! Now if only I could get over that $60/year! :glare:

Think of it as $5 a month, another online planner (scholaric) is $1 a month/child with a maximum of $5, so it's pretty inline with other available programs. Sure there is Skedtrack which is free, but I found it harder to work with and set up than HST. I plan to purchase HST online once we're ready for fall. We only have about 6 weeks left this year or I'd do it now.

Actually, it will work with the iPad. I use LogMeIn Ignition, and it will pull up anything on my main computer as if I were sitting right in front of it. :001_smile:

I tried this with another app called Pocketcloud. It was ok, but I had to keep zooming in and out since it's basically showing me a screen shot of my monitor I can manipulate. I also found a time lag with it which was annoying. Not sure if those are issues with LogMeIn or not.

So glad to find this thread! I've been using HST+ for I don't know how long...maybe since 2003 or something??? I can't remember. I'm planning to get an iPad3 in June, so I've been pondering signing up for HST Online so I can use it with my iPad.

When transferring your information from HST+ to HST Online, can you just do that once? Or would I be able to do it anytime? What I'm envisioning is entering the more cumbersome lesson plans onto HST+ and then uploading them to HST Online. Would that be possible? Or is it a one time only sort of deal?

(This is, of course, until they make LP entering a bit easier in HST Online, which I fully expect, knowing the company....)

I've been using HSTOnline for a few weeks now. I have a Macbook and never wanted to go through the hassle of installing bootcamp just to run HST+. I'd much prefer having the software program ON my computer versus on the internet. I have tried other programs and never liked any of them. The only one that seems to have potential is Olly. But it is in such early stages of its life that it will be awhile before it is as fully featured as HST.

Despite all the concerns of a steep learning curve, I am finding HSTOnline very easy to use. I make HEAVY use of the multiple insert and edit feature in order to have multiple lesson plans with heavy but differing supply lists (i.e. in art) or sequential lessons (i.e. Bible verses).

The only dislike I have is the cost. I feel that $60 is A LOT. I wouldn't blink an eye for say... $40 a year. But it is what it is and I paid it.

I ran into a "bug" and emailed the issue to HST and within 12 hours they had it fixed! I was very impressed to say the least! I suppose for customer service like that, $60 is fantastic! :001_smile:

I am just now getting around to getting the trial...I had posted about the program a few weeks ago and was still on the fence about wanting to try it. I agree about the price, although $60 isn't terrible, $40 would definitely be a little easier to swallow ;)

I am sort of wanting to wait til Well Planned Day comes out with their program til I really bite the bullet. Part of me thinks I will just stick with HST+, but part of me LOVES the flexibility of it being online and accessible no matter where I am...

I'm waiting to see if I'm in the beta group for Well-Planned Day software (fingers crossed!). . . if not, I may bite the bullet and do the trial. The only bummer is, this is a TERRIBLE month for me to be trying out a new program. . . busy, busy, busy.

Thanks for letting me know about this option! I've also wanted to try HST+ for years, but REFUSE to run a Windows OS on my Mac.:glare:

After playing around a little bit, I must admit that I do *like* the look of it online and it is a little more user friendly than Plus has been. However, there's just not enough 'guarantee' for me with it being online. I use HST+ for the record-keeping and reading their terms of service, the online version just makes me nervous.

There's no guarantee that the database will remain. You have no ability to download the database on your own and back it up elsewhere. That's a LOT of records over the years that could be gone with the wind with NOTHING to do about it. If I am reading the TOS correctly, you would basically get your money back for a year, but all your records would just be GONE.

There just aren't enough 'great' features to the online (aside from 'anywhere' access...) that make it worth it's weight. That's a LOT of money over the years for something that doesn't have much of a guarantee. I think I will stick with my database on Plus and feel safer knowing that I own it and can do multiple backups if needed!

I haven't done the trial yet and I'm not sure that I will. I really wanted access to my HST+ database from different computers around the house so last week, dh bought an external hard drive that connects to our network. I'm excited because I'll be able to have the database on the external hard drive and connect from any computer and I can also backup all of our pictures and things on there. Plus I"m going to put all the PDF's on it (FLL, REAL Science, etc.) and I can even use the iPad. It's a one time cost instead of $60 a year.

All that said, I still might check out the trial (not free?? :() for HST online because it does sound neat.

There's no guarantee that the database will remain. You have no ability to download the database on your own and back it up elsewhere. That's a LOT of records over the years that could be gone with the wind with NOTHING to do about it. If I am reading the TOS correctly, you would basically get your money back for a year, but all your records would just be GONE.

Yikes. I hear ya on that one! So we wouldn't be able to download the database to then use on HST+ and then reupload it onto HST Online? So basically, once we start using the online, we're stuck using it and can't transfer everything back to HST+?

Plus I"m going to put all the PDF's on it (FLL, REAL Science, etc.) and I can even use the iPad.
You're going to use HST+ on your iPad? How? That's the only reason I've been considering HST Online, because I'm most likely going to be getting an iPad3 in June.

Yikes. I hear ya on that one! So we wouldn't be able to download the database to then use on HST+ and then reupload it onto HST Online? So basically, once we start using the online, we're stuck using it and can't transfer everything back to HST+?

That's my understanding! It appears to only be a one-way street. They will upload your database from HST+ over to HSTOnline, but they won't do it the other way around. Unless there has been an update or some post that says otherwise?

The online access just isn't enough for me to make the switch. Access on my phone (and maybe in the future an iPad) would be great, but I need MUCH more of a guarantee...

That's my understanding! It appears to only be a one-way street. They will upload your database from HST+ over to HSTOnline, but they won't do it the other way around. Unless there has been an update or some post that says otherwise?

The online access just isn't enough for me to make the switch. Access on my phone (and maybe in the future an iPad) would be great, but I need MUCH more of a guarantee...

Yeah really...I've got 9 full school years entered in, and we're just entering the "heavy" years (high school). A year's worth money back will not cut it!

You're going to use HST+ on your iPad? How? That's the only reason I've been considering HST Online, because I'm most likely going to be getting an iPad3 in June.

Yes, how are you using HST+ on your iPad? I just got the one month trial of the online version because I use HST to log in what we've done after the fact (not lesson planning ahead of time). It eats up a chunk of time to enter it all at the end of the week, and I would love to be able to enter it via iPad as each lesson happens....

:bigear:

Before I signed up I asked them on their forum about this at the beginning of this month. I asked: If I went with the online version and one day moved somewhere without high speed internet or reliable internet connection, would I be able to somehow export the data and import it in some meaningful way to the HST+?

The reply was:

Today, the answer is no. But we are making good progress with the tool to import a Plus database into HSTOnline, so it is not out of the question that we may develop a tool to create an "export" of HSTOnline into a Plus database format some time in the future.

Sincerely,

Jean Gentile

for TGHomeSoft, LLC

So although currently there is no capability now, I am hopeful that one day there would be. Of course, there's always a risk that it would never happen. Perhaps with enough demand it would be bumped higher on the priority list?

So although currently there is no capability now, I am hopeful that one day there would be. Of course, there's always a risk that it would never happen. Perhaps with enough demand it would be bumped higher on the priority list?

It's good to hear that it's on their radar at least! I will have to keep checking back to see if they ever make that update...perhaps that might convince me that the move would be an OK choice!

After playing around a little bit, I must admit that I do *like* the look of it online and it is a little more user friendly than Plus has been. However, there's just not enough 'guarantee' for me with it being online. I use HST+ for the record-keeping and reading their terms of service, the online version just makes me nervous.

There just aren't enough 'great' features to the online (aside from 'anywhere' access...) that make it worth it's weight. That's a LOT of money over the years for something that doesn't have much of a guarantee. I think I will stick with my database on Plus and feel safer knowing that I own it and can do multiple backups if needed!

:iagree: That's why I do have virtual Windows on my Mac solely for HST+.

I'm waiting for the day that we have a Mac computer app that syncs with an app on the iPad or iPhone. I'd love to enter items in my iMac, but be able to check them off on my iPad. Right now I do that with Notability (after creating .PDFs of my kids' weekly schedules), but then I have to really check things off when I'm back at my computer. It works, but it's not as smooth as a native Mac/iPad solution would be.

Edited by Veritaserum