Menu

Breadmaker recommendations needed

Honestly, I recommend checking out thrift shops and Goodwill stores near you. So many people got caught up in the "make your own bread" fad a few years back and bought them...then decided it was easier to buy a loaf of bread lol. So, when I went looking for one, I found one that was basically brand new! Got it for $10 at Goodwill. It was missing the instruction manual but I googled the product number and gound it online. Happy hunting!

I've heard Zojirushi makes a great breadmaker, but they aren't cheap.

They just came out with a new model, so might be able to find the older version at a discount if price is a concern.

It also appears that Panasonic makes a decently reviewed model too.

But I don't know too much, it's been a while since I've looked.

I recommend getting a larger-sized machine (2-lb) and the ones that make the traditional rectangular shaped loaves (some make odd cylinder-shaped loaves).

I bought a Breadman machine from Kohls a few years ago (30% coupon + sale) and I'm mostly happy with it but I don't like how the mixing paddle gets lodged in the bread and it isn't easy to get out without making a mess of the bottom of the baked loaf. I haven't tried other bread makers so I don't know how common of a problem that is.

But mmm, fresh bread makes the house smell soooo good!!

I have a new Zo (had an older model for years, and a Bosch), and it does a superb job. Really, the texture of the bread is amazing, much more tender and well developed than my made by hand or Bosch loaves. I will say also that the Zo can handle whole wheat much better than most brands. We comparison shopped and the white model at Amazon was much cheaper than anywhere else.

I got a Zo from King Arthur. However, it was my second bread maker. I got one (a Breadman) cheap-o from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It lasted a year and then it died. By then, it was clear that I would get my $$ from a Zo. I love it. It is one of the best things I have ever bought. It is about three years old and shows no sign of age. It is right up there with my kitchen aid mixer in terms of earning its keep.

Even with a bread machine it is a chore. It is one more job to do. The machine doesn't come with elves that monitor the bread intake situation and make a reasonable estimate one when the next loaf will be needed and when to start it and when is too late etc, etc. It's fun the first week and then it is like feeding a pet, another job on the list. And it does have a learning curve. There will be a few disasters and teachable moments. But, you do get the hang of it.

Sorry. I've just had one too many conversations with people who buy a machine, use it for two weeks, and then stick it in a closet where it gathers dust. Then they feel the need to complain to me about it.

I'd go a different route and get a dough machine -- it mixes ingredients and kneads several loaves of dough rather quickly and then you separate the dough into loaves and bake them. I only have to make bread for my crew of nine twice a week. For a Bosch, I think you're looking at $200-$300. If possible (and maybe before the dough machine), I'd get a grain mill to make your own flour (another $250). These will last you for years and years and are worth the investment.

I've had the same Breadman machine for about 14 years. For the first ten we used it at least twice a week and now we're down to about once/twice a month. But it's lasted forever.

HOWEVER- we never bake in the machine. We always use the dough setting and then take it out and put it in a long pan for the last rise and bake. It makes a much more traditional loaf.

These days we rarely eat sandwiches so it's mostly used for focaccia once or twice a month. With the weather getting warmer it'll get used more because we make grilled sandwiches in a panini press during hot weather.

I keep waiting for this thing to die so I can buy a Zo.

I just found a few minutes to check this thread (I never got back to the computer last night). Thanks for the recommendations and for the reality check. It does sound fun, but I can see how it can become a chore. I'll have to keep that in mind as I contemplate spending so much money. On the other hand, it would be a sacrifice I'd be willing to make so that my family could have nutritious food. I guess I need to decide how much I can afford to spend and go from there. If I have more questions, I hope you all don't mind if I come back and ask. Actually, I do have a question. How difficult is it to clean and maintain the bread maker?

Like Blueridge said, the cleanup is super easy. When I was making bread frequently, I used ziploc bags and measured batches of the dry ingredients so all I had to do was dump a bag in, add the water and butter/oil, and go. It saved time measuring ten bags at a time rather than dragging it out every time.

My standard bread recipe probably uses more ingredients than most- flour, bit of sugar, yeast, harvest grain blend, dried milk powder, potato flour to keep it moist, and water and a bit of fat. I use a scale to measure most things- it's WAY faster than measuring with cups- and just stored the bags in the freezer. The yeast, whole wheat flour, and harvest grain blend kept better in the freezer, and there was no need to let it come to room temp before using it.

For me, the bread machine cleanup wasn't an issue- it was dragging out all the ingredients and measuring everything.

I'd go a different route and get a dough machine -- it mixes ingredients and kneads several loaves of dough rather quickly and then you separate the dough into loaves and bake them. I only have to make bread for my crew of nine twice a week. For a Bosch, I think you're looking at $200-$300. If possible (and maybe before the dough machine), I'd get a grain mill to make your own flour (another $250). These will last you for years and years and are worth the investment.

:iagree: even though I don't have either of these. Kneading and raising are the main things I use my (cheap-o brand) bread machine for.

Milovany, is the "dough machine" the same thing as the Bosch "mixer" ?

I have a Zojirushi and love it. (I use mine several times a week.) I had one from another company for a lot of years, but I hated that the bread didn't look like a loaf of bread.

I did purchase mine from Amazon.

:iagree: Love my Zo!!! But, I can't remember if i purchased mine at Amazon or King Arthur. I seem to remember KA having a free shipping deal or some such. But, i've owned my Zo for almost 10 years now so I can't say which had a better deal