Menu

Are there any instructions online to create from misc LEGO pieces?

DS wants to build but doesn't really have much imagination for creating. He has the instructions for the sets he's gotten, of course, but he'd love some instructions to build something from various parts and pieces (not necessarily a complete set). I looked at peeron.com but theirs are instructions for the sets. He only has a few sets but did get a bucketful of pieces for Cmas.

Thanks for any help!

My son has made a lot of random Lego creations by watching youtube videos of people showing how to make stuff. You can also go to http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/BuildingInstructions/default.aspx and get the instructions for tons of Lego kits. Sometimes we don't have all the pieces we'd need (or we have to change colors), but it's really expanded what my son can make with his Legos. We find it easiest to do the search by brand.

My son has made a lot of random Lego creations by watching youtube videos of people showing how to make stuff. You can also go to http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/BuildingInstructions/default.aspx and get the instructions for tons of Lego kits. Sometimes we don't have all the pieces we'd need (or we have to change colors), but it's really expanded what my son can make with his Legos. We find it easiest to do the search by brand.

I was going to jump in with this. If he's open to 'changing' things a little to make it work this is great. I have a perfectionist who has a hard time not doing it EXACTLY like the directions say (if he has directions) He freestyles better without any pictures around. I think it helped when other kids and myself sat down with him and just made things. Then he could 'see' what we were talking about when we said, "Just make something up."

I'd also check for the books that come with the basic sets, especially the old ones (ie, 1970s or 1980s) which aren't as specialized. There are some great projects there :). One of the neatest displays at Brickfair this year (to DH and I, anyway), was someone who had gone through something like the 1978 Lego Idea Book and made all the projects in there. I imagine some of the various sites have the old Idea books.

Also wanted to mention that this is one of the reasons we really love the Creator series since it already includes 3 different instruction sets for the same pieces. I think it helps my son see different ways to configure the pieces.

If you go to the Lego website, you can get a fourth set of PDF instructions for each of the Creator sets.