Menu

Facebook question- what does this mean?

If you're friends with two people on FB and have been invited to attend their upcoming wedding, what does it mean when they both change their relationship status from "engaged" to "single" on the same day (as each other)? :001_huh:

Does this mean the wedding is off but they're still in a relationship? Wedding is off and relationship is off? Simply drama?? :chillpill:

They're both still FB friends with each other. :001_huh: They live together and I know there's a FB option of "in a relationship" isn't there? :001_huh: I'm thinking if the relationship is off, why still be FB friends with each other? If just the wedding is off, isn't a FB status change an odd way to announce that?

Have not heard from either and am not inclined to get involved in drama. I'm simply wondering if I should be buying a wedding present or not. :001_huh:

What do you think?

Edited by plain jane

Sounds like the wedding is off. I'd hold off on the present until you get confirmation that there is still a wedding.

But are they still "together" or would you think they broke up completely? That's where I'm really confused. :confused: And if we've been invited to the wedding, should I assume there is one until they TELL me there isn't? :glare:

Sigh. This is why I hate FB.

I think it sounds like they had a fight and let the world know about it on Facebook. It probably remains to be seen what that means for the wedding, although changing the status could very well mean it's over. But most wouldn't let that be the way they inform people about the wedding. I'd still expect to hear about that specifically (whether or FB or through some other channel).

But are they still "together" or would you think they broke up completely? That's where I'm really confused. :confused: And if we've been invited to the wedding, should I assume there is one until they TELL me there isn't? :glare:

Sigh. This is why I hate FB.

I have a friend who has been living with her ex-boyfriend for the last 6 months. He takes her daughter (HER kid, not his) to school, they eat together and so on, but they aren't dating. She has another boyfriend already, it's just cheaper to stay living together because of the lease (or so she claims).

There is an 'in a relationship' option, so to me changing it to 'single' means just that. When is the wedding supposed to be? We were supposed to go to one in August that was cancelled 2 days before, but they are still dating. People confuse me too.

I think it sounds like they had a fight and let the world know about it on Facebook. It probably remains to be seen what that means for the wedding, although changing the status could very well mean it's over. But most wouldn't let that be the way they inform people about the wedding. I'd still expect to hear about that specifically (whether or FB or through some other channel).

OR they were bored and laughed, thinking, "Wonder what people would do if we both changed out status to 'Single'? Hawhawhaw."

:tongue_smilie::001_huh::glare:

How many days ago was this?

If it's fairly recent, there's a good chance that this is the modern social networking version of the "That's it! The wedding's off!! Sob...." scene from Father of the Bride. A bit melodramatic and then embarrassing if they change their minds back again (although potentially easily covered with a "Ha! We gotch'you all!"), but nothing completely new.

I'd probably hold tight and see if the statuses mysteriously change back again soon. If not, I'd hope for a more formal acknowledgement of the wedding cancellation. I probably wouldn't even inquire directly even if it has been a few weeks, because eventually some other bold soul is going to do it for me on their FB page. :D

Well, that status hasn't changed, nor have I been notified of any cancellation. :confused:

Thankfully we have a couple weddings coming up so I can get a gift and not have to worry about having spent money for no reason.

I refuse to play into the FB drama and ask what's up. :tongue_smilie: If there's something they want to tell me, they know how to get hold of me. ;)

If you're friends with two people on FB and have been invited to attend their upcoming wedding, what does it mean when they both change their relationship status from "engaged" to "single" on the same day (as each other)? :001_huh:

What do you think?

That you're not going to get a thank you note.

Whether they do or do not get married. :rolleyes:

OR they were bored and laughed, thinking, "Wonder what people would do if we both changed out status to 'Single'? Hawhawhaw."

:tongue_smilie::001_huh::glare:

Dh's college age cousin changed her status to "married" (and on the FB news feed it said "A is now married to B") as a joke, mostly to get her mom going. :001_smile: