Menu

silly pronunciation question

While listening to the audiobook of Susan Cain's Quiet (good book!), I noticed that the book's reader pronounced the word "room" in a way I've not heard before: with the oo sounding like the one in "wood" or "look," not like the sound in "boom" or "loom." I'm curious whether this is a regional difference or just a quirk of the narrator. How do you pronounce room?

While listening to the audiobook of Susan Cain's Quiet (good book!), I noticed that the book's reader pronounced the word "room" in a way I've not heard before: with the oo sounding like the one in "wood" or "look," not like the sound in "boom" or "loom." I'm curious whether this is a regional difference or just a quirk of the narrator. How do you pronounce room?

I've heard it the way you describe, though everywhere I have lived since I was old enough to talk (Florida, Georgia, Texas, Alabama, NC, SC, with visits to relatives in AZ) pronounces it the other way.

I can't remember who I've heard pronounce it with the "book" sound--TV or Missouri relatives or Ohio relatives, or perhaps missionaries visiting our church. If it was TV, it could be from anywhere, but I have heard it that way more than once.

That reminds me of our road trip to visit family last summer. We took the entire Harry Potter audio series and the first few are read by Jim Dale, who has a great reading voice but he annoyed us to no end by calling the villain VOLDEMORE, my kids kept yelling Vol de morT, /t/ there's a t on the end of that.

The way you do, but what I'm really excited about is that I am reading this book also!

Dd read it and said it gets better after the first few (boring) chapters. I told her I haven't found those boring at all!

I pronounce 'room' both ways. I've no idea why I go back and forth.

That's funny ... I think I'm inconsistent on some words, too. My husband goes back and forth on 'route' -- "rowt" for a name, such as Route 1, and the verb 'to route,' but the French way for the common noun ('which route shall we take?').

Back to 'room' -- come to think of it, I think I can hear people like Bill Nighy or Alan Rickman saying it with the "book" vowel ... I certainly can't imagine them saying it using the "loom" vowel. Well, now I'll have to pay more attention when watching British actors! :001_smile: Very curious now.

That reminds me of our road trip to visit family last summer. We took the entire Harry Potter audio series and the first few are read by Jim Dale, who has a great reading voice but he annoyed us to no end by calling the villain VOLDEMORE, my kids kept yelling Vol de morT, /t/ there's a t on the end of that.

The funny thing is that I think the way Dale pronounces it is supposed to be the correct way. There are several different ideas out there about what the name as a whole means, but the ending "mort" is the French word for "death," and it's pronounced without the "t." Rowling has said that was the intended pronunciation. After the movies came out and used the "t," Dale changed his pronunciation to match.

I've no idea why I go back and forth.

Calvin's old scout leader (American) used to pronounce 'wolf' as 'woof'. He was a missionary kid who grew up in Indonesia, so I don't know where that one came from.

Laura

My DH (from Montana) says "woof" for "wolf". Drives me nuts, but when I try to correct him he doesn't hear the difference even if I exaggerate and say like wool from a sheep with a "fuh" on the end.

I've heard room both ways but majority say it like "boom" with an r instead of b

I've heard it both ways, but I can't remember who I've known that said with the "wood" oo. I always say the "loom" kind.

I know what you mean about it grating a bit to hear someone do that, though. I was listening to a lecture the other day where the speaker was a career scientist who had won awards for his work but kept saying "hypothethis" instead of "hypothesis", over and over again. Drove me nuts. If ANYONE should know how to pronounce that word you'd think a professional scientist would. (Before anyone asks, no, he didn't just have a lisp, he pronounced the 's' properly in all other words.