Menu

Fairy tales for youngers, sanitized or unsanitized version?

I'd like to hear opinions on reading fairy tales to younger kids, ages 4-6. Do you read only sanitized versions, only original or unsanitized versions, or both to kids this age and why? Does it depend on the child? My youngest is 4 and I've started reading The Red Fairy Book and The Blue Fairy Book and some others to her. She absolutely adores fairy tales, so I thought I'd start reading these to her. She seems fine with the stories, not bothered or disturbed. I hadn't read all of these to the bigger kids when they were younger though and I hadn't read all of them myself either. I'd read so many sanitized versions of the three little pigs that I was a bit surprised when the wolf got boiled alive. Dd didn't seem bothered by it, but I was wanting to hear others' opinions on the matter.

I did not read really horrific type ones when they were very small, and I still am a bit squeamish about very grotesque violence. They listened to a lot of the fairy books on Librivox, vs my reading it to them. I do not care for Disney type versions that are wholly changed, but there are plenty of fairy stories besides Grimms, and not all of them are horridly graphic.

My kids (7, 5.5, 20mo) haven't ever seemed traumatized by the gruesome parts of fairy tales. But it may depend on the kids in question.

I do think that, especially with myths, ancient folklore, and the stories of Andersen and the brothers Grimm, the violence generally has specific metaphorical value, and expurgating it would flatten out the mythic richness of the stories.

I say go for unsanitized, but pick fairy tales that are slightly on the less gruesome side. Somewhere I saw a list that recommends which ones for which ages. I can't recall where. Perhaps Ambleside? Anyone else know what I'm talking about? :)

I would love that list if anyone knows where to find it! My oldest loves the originals but my 6-year-old is very sensitive so we've had to stop reading most fairy tales out loud.

I say go for unsanitized, but pick fairy tales that are slightly on the less gruesome side. Somewhere I saw a list that recommends which ones for which ages. I can't recall where. Perhaps Ambleside? Anyone else know what I'm talking about? :)

I think you might be talking about Ambleside. They list the ones they suggest for First Grade (from the Blue Fairy Book) but then give a list of possible substitutions (other stories from Blue Fairy Book) for if your child is sensitive.

My son loves all of the Andrew Lang stories. My daughter on the other hand will stop listening if its getting too scary for her, or if she fears that one of the main characters is going to die. So I'd say it depends on the child. As long as it doesn't bother my kids, I'm fine with the original versions.

I would go sanitized for the reason that societal norms have changed since the fairy tales were written and I would like my young children to not repeat something that they have read (thinking that it is okay) and then be ostracized.

Kids do repeat things and hey, my kids are already homeschooled so it would be nice if they didn't have those little social pits to trip into.:lol:

With my 6.5yo we've always read the unsanitized versions but my 4.5yo is much more sensitive so I've been a lot more choosy with him. It's frequently surprising to me which elements make a story too scary for him, so I usually give him a preview (that the story involves someone dying or something like that) and then let him decide if he wants to listen. He's pretty good about speaking up if something is too scary for him and he will sometimes decide mid-story that it's too much and will go do something else until I'm done reading to his brother.