Menu

Friday Fun Day

Does anyone else do something like this? We started back when my oldest was in first grade and it is such a nice break from the every day normalcy of school.

Firdays are strictly for fun projects (Art, Science experiments, cooking, etc) For math and LA we play games on Fridays. It is also library day.

Just wondering how many other people do this or a variation of it and how you make it fun or memorable for your kiddos.

Yep. It's Fun Friday at our house. We generally do computer drill games (we limit screen time, so this is really fun for them), we do our art projects, and we do "choose your own topic"--ds gets to pick a science topic and a history topic, read about it, and write 5 or so sentences to go with the picture he draws. He loves it since he gets to choose the topic. I do sneak in Latin and spelling tests, but we get those out of the way first. I also generally do more read aloud time, and we pull out our board games (the educational ones that we never play otherwise :lol: like Scrambled States of America, 10 Days in Europe, Sum Swamp, Mythmatical Battles, etc.)

We do our "Project Day" on Mondays. Sunday is a long day here with Sunday School, worship, and family obligations. Having a slower start to our week works well for us. We do Art, Bible, History, Science, and Geography on Monday and the library after lunch. These are all our "content" areas so nobody has to do independent work or has (much) skill level work to do that day.

We do and we love it. We have a schedule for the boys (autistic and structure is needed). We never set foot in the Classroom on Friday. We do our spelling test to wrap up the week. We usually watch a DVD, today was School House Rocks - Earth. Love DVD Fridays because my kids are such visual/audio learners.

We usually do any labs left for Science but today we did Indians from Adventures in America and made Pillow Case shirts.

Once we are done with what ever craft and fun learning, including games. We tackle chores. We taught the boys to help more around the house and while they do some chores I have a treat baking. By lunch time all is done. I consider life skills part of school of Fridays.

On Fridays we:

Go to our weekly park day (rainy day substitute is a movie afternoon at home with fresh popcorn, etc.)

Read in Life of Fred - we're going through the elementary series together

Play games, do Mad Libs, read aloud, etc.

It is a nice break from our "regular" learning!

Fridays are fairly normal for us with the exception of math. Fridays our Math is Fun Friday math and involves a game or living book of some sort.

Saturdays I reserved for our "fun" activity game and usually involves our history or science activity because I could never seem to actually fit them in in the week.

fridays are light for us. we only do the 3 R's here. my husband is off so we always do something fun. also, our co-op has field trips on fridays. we just went on one today actually. we never do school at all on days that have field trips. it's nice to have a lighter load one day a week or just do something fun.:D

We do *lite* school on Friday and focus more on art and history projects and maybe science-more reading and more outside time if the weather is nice. Today we made sock puppets and the kids put on a play for Daddy when he came home. We spent time running through the sprinklers (it was hot down south today) and we painted pottery like the Greeks for our art/history project. I enjoy the change of pace and the kids do too. It's also a reward/incentive to have a good week with good attitudes. But since we had to drop out of co-op I'm trying to make up for it with our Fridays :D

Fridays are our light days. We do Art and Piano, sometimes read alouds, and a Science experiment. I try to sprinkle in stuff I know they'll think of as fun throughout the week, so I'm not sure Friday is any more fun than the average day. It is a nice way to be sure Art and Piano are getting done as well as a nice break from the usual routine.

We have fun on Fridays too. It's a perfect day for field trips, exploration, games, outside time, relaxing. I'm going to add in a "memorable moment" for preschool on Friday as well, things like a teddy bear picnic, a trip to the zoo, an afternoon at the botanical gardens, etc.

I like having a day off from formal schooling so that we can focus more on fun things. It also gives us a day off to catch up on anything we missed, scour the house, and take weekend trips.

Melissa :)