Menu

Need advice from the tattooed moms!

I have wanted a tattoo for years, and in the past 6 months I've finally decided on the tattoo I want. My problem is that I have an issue with needles. About 10 minutes after getting a stick (even a finger prick at the doctor) and I can pass out. If I'm laying down, I'll be okay and can breathe my way through it until it passes. How big of a problem is this when getting a tattoo. I've always been this way, and it's not about being anxious or seeing blood. It's just what I do. So what do you think? Do I need to give up my tattoo dreams? :tongue_smilie:

I am exactly the same way as you. I have gotten woozy having my blood pressure taken. And when it comes to needles....forget it!!

That being said, I seem to only have a problem with needles in a medical setting. I have 3 tattoos and a few piercings and have never experienced any problems getting them done. The actually feeling of getting tattoo is so different than actually being stabbed with a needle (okay, making myself a little ill).

I guess you won't really know until you try. Is the piece you want small or large? Small tattoos don't take much time at all, even being very well done. Good luck!!

I want something small and tribal style so it should be simple and quick. Thanks for the encouragement! There's a specific place I want to go to have mine done, and I'll be visiting that city next week so I'm thinking about getting it done then...we'll see!

I have several tattoos (just got my latest one three weeks ago in memory of my Gram). I am also a passer-outer, but not specifically needle related.

You really don't even see a needle when getting a tattoo. The needle is inside the part they hold in their hand, so you won't even see it if you don't watch them put it all together. (Even then, I don't remember seeing a big needle.)

I worry a little each time I've gone about fainting, but have never actually even come close, and I am very prone to it in many other situations (awkward...). It really isn't at all like getting a shot or having blood drawn.

:) Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

You really don't even see a needle when getting a tattoo. The needle is inside the part they hold in their hand, so you won't even see it if you don't watch them put it all together. (Even then, I don't remember seeing a big needle.)

I was worried about the same thing with my first tattoo. I came armed with Dr. Pepper in case I needed a quick sugar buzz to keep me from passing out, and I took some ibuprofen beforehand (though some places tell you not to because it can thin your blood). I never saw a needle. The only time I had a problem with the first one was when he was working right on my Achilles tendon (I got a little anklet of flowers and greenery), and even then it was more just annoyance than pain. My second tat, which was MUCH bigger, didn't hurt or bug me at all.

Have fun and post a pic! :)

Go for it.

I used to pass out getting blood drawn. But I have three tattoos, none of them small, and have had many piercings. And I'll be getting more tattoos done. (Soon hopefully!!)

I always take blow pops with me. I guess my blood sugar drops (adrenaline anyone? :lol:) and the blow pops help me feel better when I start to feel a little nauseated.

Where on your body do you want to get the tattoo? Maybe you could be laying down during it...

:iagree:With all the above. You don't see the needle (if that's what makes you pass out) since it's inside the machine and the sensation is more of a slightly painfull vibration, not like getting a needle stuck into your body...

Good luck & enjoy your tat! Can't wait to get my next one... :-)

I like the white ink - it looks a bit like a branding and is less visible.

You will be fine! Post a pic when you get back :)

I hadn't thought of that yet. I'll have to look at some pictures. I'm thinking I'll get it on my foot or the the back of my leg, right above my ankle if that makes sense. I'll be sure to post a pic if I get it done!

I have three tattoos so far (next one is in the works) and never saw a needle. The only problem I had actually getting a tattoo was one on my ankle that hits the actual ankle bone. Man! That one hurt.

I have a tattoo where my waist band hits and that one was no fun healing.

Other than that, I'd say, go for it and post pics!

I do not have a tat, but I happen to see a ton of them because I work in an ER. One thing is true. They always look nice on young skin, and they always look droopy and deformed on old skin. Where OP wants one will probably be OK. But the ones on upper arms, abdomens, chests, etc. Do not look so hot after awhile. :tongue_smilie:

I do not have a tat, but I happen to see a ton of them because I work in an ER. One thing is true. They always look nice on young skin, and they always look droopy and deformed on old skin. Where OP wants one will probably be OK. But the ones on upper arms, abdomens, chests, etc. Do not look so hot after awhile. :tongue_smilie:

This is one of the reasons I've held off on getting one. What looks sharp and cute now will turn wiggly and droopy later!

I have a large rose picture on my upper back/shoulder that took a few hours.

Be upfront and tell them the situation. A good artist will have no problem if you ask them to give you a second of a "dry run" with no ink and you can see what happens. They will just buzz over that spot with the needle and you can see what it's like. After a few minutes I can't even tell what's going on anymore.

That's a great idea about the mp3 player! I have a couple and I'd say it's not the same as getting a shot or getting blood drawn. The last time they had used some reddish pink color and boy, that itched for a couple of months! I guess I was allergic to it? I heard from some other people that that happened to them too with that color. I say go for it. I would really think about the location. You said the back of the leg above the ankle...how will that look if you have to wear a nice dress with high heels like to church or something?

Totally different. I can't watch hypodermic needle sticks, but tattooing is fine. I have two and am working on figuring out my third - but I'll always hate shots and blood tests!

As for the red color - red is one of the colors more likely to cause an allergic reaction, but it still isn't that common. If you go with an up-scale practice, the new dyes they use are far less reactive than the old ones (better ingredients).

Lastly - my tattoo artist had me bring in a laptop, and I watched movies :) My last tattoo took 3.5 hours.... the movies helped a ton!!!

It will be small, but I have thought about it showing. As for church, if they don't want people with tattoos, then I don't want to be there! I don't think it will be overly noticeable. I'm almost settled on having it done in the space between my ankle bone and the tendon if that makes sense. Like I said, I want something small. I'm not ready for anything bigger yet. :tongue_smilie:

I don't like needles and used to agonize over blood draws, but getting tattooed didn't bother me a bit. Didn't feel like needles and didn't look like needles.

Regarding placement, I chose a place unlikely to sag, expand, or droop and 20 years later, my tat looks the same as the day I got it. That said, when I got it I never pictured myself working somewhere with a "no visible tattoos" policy... and now I am, which means pants or dark tights every day. So now I kind of wish I had put it somewhere on my torso where it might have stretched all out of shape, but wouldn't limit my wardrobe options.