Menu

Multiple Math Programs?

4Kiddos

I have noticed that a lot of people around here are using multiple math programs. (Especially with the Beast Academy Craze!:lol:) I was wondering why you use multiple ones? Do you have a specific reason? Do you feel that there are gaps in one that need to be filled with another? I just feel a little confused about it all! Thanks!

We didn't until pre-algebra, and chose to use 3 programs this year for specific reasons:

MUS to fill in the arithmetic gaps before algebra.

Hands-on Equations to see what algebra is and introduce it gently.

Life of Fred to build thinking skills and work a little outside the box.

I don't use multiple programs for elementary years. I don't see the point in it. Supplements, yes (like Sir Cumference or the Allowance game), but not full programs. We used the supplements for fun time, to play a little with math.

I have noticed that a lot of people around here are using multiple math programs. (Especially with the Beast Academy Craze!:lol:) I was wondering why you use multiple ones? Do you have a specific reason? Do you feel that there are gaps in one that need to be filled with another? I just feel a little confused about it all! Thanks!

I use multiple programs because I love math and have found multiple programs that I love. I would call MEP my main program...I am 100% satisfied with it and don't feel it needs to be supplemented with anything. But then I hear about other programs that sound cool, and I can't help it :)

So I also use Miquon and LOF, and next year when my son is older I'll use Beast Academy. Miquon and LOF are easy to use as supplements and don't take up much time. If B.A. turns out to take up a lot of time, then I'll have to figure out what to do between that and MEP.

Even though I use different things I don't feel like our math is schizophrenic or disjointed at all. All the programs I use complement each other well.

Elena

I use 3 programs with my 2nd grader.

We use Math in Focus (Singapore style math) as our main program.

We use MEP to work on really manipulating and using the numbers in a way other than a standard algorithim.

We use Miquon once a week to help her really "see" the math. I don't know what it is about Miquon, but those C-rods have really helped her understand exactly what is happening when you add, subtract, etc. We used manipulatives with other programs, but there is just something about those C-rods! :confused:

Anyway, we like this combination because they all bring something different to the table and have greatly improved dd's math sense.

Math programs tend to ask questions in a very specific way. For instance, you would be able to tell a question from Saxon vs Singapore Math if you were familiar with them. These questions tend to be predictable after a while.

I use multiple programs with dc because I want them to be able to learn the underlying math no matter who is presenting the problem.

It can't hurt.

My dc enjoy doing multiple programs, and I enjoy teaching them.

The different approaches offer various perspectives on math.

My dc are mathematically advanced and crave challenge, so the various programs offer that challenge.

That's all I can think of at the moment. We use a combination of MEP (our spine), LOF, Miquon, HOE, CWP/IP, MathRider, and now Beast Academy. (But I am talking about my 5 y/o and the twins combined; no one child uses all of those programs).

We're using 3 maths, which may become 4 when Beast arrives . . . or we may drop TT. Each has its unique purpose and place in the curriculum:

Math Mammoth is our core math program. When dd came home from ps, her computation skills were strong, but she had no conceptual understanding - no understanding of the why behind the how. She stunk at word problems, or any non-standard presentation. Now, she can do mental math, hard word problems, and understands the concepts for everything she learns. It's been very exciting to see the deepening of her understanding.

Life of Fred is our fun supplement. We do 2 chapters a day, after MM is done. It helps motivate her to power through the MM. We snuggle on the couch, read aloud, and discuss. She loves it, says it makes math fun. I love it because it has made her love math, and because it does such a good job introducing algebraic thinking, and gives us so much to discuss.

TT is the most dispensable part of our lineup. I'm not crazy about it, the scope and sequence make no sense to me, and I don't like how dizzyingly spiral it is. We use it for review and practice on those days that I'm not available to work with her (1 x per week). She likes the novelty of working on the computer.

So why Beast??? :glare: Well, I love the problem-solving angle, and would rather work on problem solving as part of math, rather than as a stand-alone "pre-logic" topic. I want to use AoPS with her some day, so I figure this is the best prep for that. Oh, and she hasn't done Geometry yet, so at least that bit won't be repetition . . . need more? I got lots of justification for doing what I want to anyway!! :D

DD9/4th has been in 5 different schools by Christmas time of 4th grade. She has gaps and she can do math, but doesn't know why she's doing it. Procedural vs. Conceptual.

How we use our math programs:

LOF Elementary series is fun, bedtime story, exposure/review - we do everything verbally, so I don't even really consider it part of our school math. :D

BA is brain stretching and fun - the guide part anyway. :)

MM (when HSBC sale finishes) will be used to review and find and fill the gaps and cement the concepts. I have MM4, but am backing up further to MM3.

Right now DS6/K gets LOF for bedtime story and exposure and sometimes we use MEP. I will start using MM1 with him when we get it.

I know plenty here love MEP, and I do love the price, but I'm not crazy about spiral math. I will probably keep it around just for puzzles and thinking outside the box, but as review, not an every day thing.

We're using 3 maths, which may become 4 when Beast arrives . . . or we may drop TT. Each has its unique purpose and place in the curriculum:

Math Mammoth is our core math program. When dd came home from ps, her computation skills were strong, but she had no conceptual understanding - no understanding of the why behind the how. She stunk at word problems, or any non-standard presentation. Now, she can do mental math, hard word problems, and understands the concepts for everything she learns. It's been very exciting to see the deepening of her understanding.

Life of Fred is our fun supplement. We do 2 chapters a day, after MM is done. It helps motivate her to power through the MM. We snuggle on the couch, read aloud, and discuss. She loves it, says it makes math fun. I love it because it has made her love math, and because it does such a good job introducing algebraic thinking, and gives us so much to discuss.

TT is the most dispensable part of our lineup. I'm not crazy about it, the scope and sequence make no sense to me, and I don't like how dizzyingly spiral it is. We use it for review and practice on those days that I'm not available to work with her (1 x per week). She likes the novelty of working on the computer.

So why Beast??? :glare: Well, I love the problem-solving angle, and would rather work on problem solving as part of math, rather than as a stand-alone "pre-logic" topic. I want to use AoPS with her some day, so I figure this is the best prep for that. Oh, and she hasn't done Geometry yet, so at least that bit won't be repetition . . . need more? I got lots of justification for doing what I want to anyway!! :D

This is the combination that I am using as well this year except for BA and I am introducing LOF next year. The only difference is that this year I was using TT as our core and MM to supplement (I found it late) and next year I will be reversing that as using MM as our core and supplementing with the rest. My 4th grader was a little overwhelmed by the pretest in BA so that tells me she needs the exposure even as an add in from time to time. I don't know whether they will appreciate the style or not.