Menu

Humbly asking for help in my own education

Hello,

I am a little hesitant to post this as I am not sure if this is the right place and from reading a lot of threads on here I am in awe of all of you. So, please forgive me if I have made a mistake.

I am new to homeschooling and have three little sons. I have recently started realizing that I need to work on educating myself in preparation for teaching my children. In reading a ton of threads on these forums, I have realized the wisdom of many of your ladies and quite frankly I am dumbfounded and overwhelmed. You ladies are on a whole other level of knowledge that I am just not at. I have loved the in depth conversations you all have. Wow! (I also feel like I have been eavesdropping so I decided I would just come out and ask some questions instead of just lurking. I also decided to post here as it seems that a lot of mothers who have been homeschooling for a long time post here.)

I thought I had a fairly good education but I have been delving into the world of homeschool and realize how much I need to learn. Through reading these boards, I have come to realize that I would like to try and teach my children more on my own as many of you do. I am not really looking for specific curriculum recommendations and I have/already am reading WTM and Charlotte Mason. Also, I am interested in the technique of teaching rather than the "philosophy" of homeschooling (i.e. unschooling, CM, etc). I realize too that there is a lot of overlap as well between the two. (Oh dear, I hope I am being clear!) My questions are more related to my own self education in how to teach effectively. So, here goes:

1. How did you learn to teach your children on your own? Was it through trial and error?

2. What resources helped you learn to teach?

3. How do you learn to use curriculum and tweak it to fit your children?

4. How do you choose resources/curriculum? I am not interested in a boxed curriculum and truly am prepared for " a lot of work" to be able to teach well. But, I don't really know how to get there.

5. How do you educate yourself?

6. What advice to you have for a new homeschooling mother? I would be so grateful for anything!

Well, I am so grateful for your time! I will go back to lurking now...:001_smile:

Welcome! I am not very experienced, just have been homeschooling for three years, but I'll take a stab at some of your questions:

1. How did you learn to teach your children on your own? Was it through trial and error?

Essentially, yes, that is it. Trial and error. I never wanted to homeschool, but became an accidental homeschooler when public school no longer was a good fit for my children.

I still do not know if I know how to teach.

ETA: I recommend The Well Trained Mind! (It helped me tremendously.)

When I first started, I just picked things that I had seen recommended and began using them. Working with my kids it became obvious which things worked for their learning style and which did not. I always listen to my kids and their opinion, and they will notice if something does not work for them. Then I go and search for something else that addresses the issue we had with the first curriculum. Sometimes a well known, widely used curriculum can be a bad fit. If the kids are bored, do not enjoy their school work, are not motivated to use the curriculum, do not make progress, do not retain I would examine the curriculum choice.

4. How do you choose resources/curriculum? I am not interested in a boxed curriculum and truly am prepared for " a lot of work" to be able to teach well. But, I don't really know how to get there.

Read this forum. I gobbled up anything I could find about homeschooling. I still read a LOT. After a while, you'll find out which people have similar educational goals, philosophies, similar students and whose recommendations may be pertinent for you.

For high school, I actually find it easier than for the middle grades.

The subjects for which I have no expertise I study alongside my children.

6. What advice to you have for a new homeschooling mother?

You know your children best. You homeschool YOUR children, not somebody else's -so take all recommendations and advice with a grain of salt. What may work for another student may not necessarily work for your student.

Do not compare. Each student progresses at an individual speed.

If something is not working, simply change it. Curriculum decisions do not have to be set in stone. I found that it is often easier to ditch something that is not working rather than spending a lot of effort trying to get it to work.

Patience and perseverance. Homeschooling can be hard and exhausting. Worrying and second-guessing is normal.

Edited by regentrude

You can't make a mistake asking a question. :grouphug:

Books that helped me teach-though I just recently read it, I wish I had read it first-

Ordinary Children, Extraordinary Teachers by Marva Collins and Marva Collins' Way. It took me years of mistakes to learn, but thankfully they were young and forgiving. One of my biggest lessons was how when something isn't working (repeatedly), the answer isn't to push harder-the answer is to find another curriculum that does work.

Again, I was so overwhelmed and afraid at first, I would stare at sights like Ambleside Online with sheer terror. Now I can go through and take what works for us and leave the rest. It's ok to pick and choose, but it's going to take time to learn how you all flow and what's out there that will suit you. It's a lot of computer time, reading pages and pages of sites.

I learned by reading. Reading, and reading and reading and reading.

I don't tweak curriculum, per say, I choose curricula that work for us, though they're all from different places. I teach too many kids to have to play with each subject. :D

Advice for you? ENJOY this. Never forget to enjoy it, even when it's 1 pm and you're wondering when you can have a glass of wine. ;) Slow down. When you rush through everything, you get less done. It's a paradox. Slow down, be in the moment, be with them, and teach. When you rush, it doesn't stick, either.

When you take a break TAKE A BREAK. You're not going to get out of the slump if you're still carrying it around with you the days you take off. Resolve to start anew on whatever day you choose, and leave schooling behind until that day.

Work together, play together. Don't forget to play together. Especially when they're older.

Read some more. Get The Well Educated Mind and start filling in your own gaps.

Don't forget to play together.

:001_smile:

Edited by justamouse

I've homeschooled for 11 years now. Trial and error was a big part for me. I also learned a great deal from other homeschooling moms, both in support groups and on boards like this one.

I often used curriculum that had teacher guides. In the beginning, I got a lot of hand-holding through those materials. Homeschooling help books were helpful. Obviously, I recommend TWTM. I also read lots of books and online websites for the various homeschooling methods I was interested in. And honestly, I tried almost all of them.

I learned what my children could do, what they needed help on, and how they reacted to the materials through daily life. If we were doing a math curriculum and I noticed my child was struggling to keep up, I knew it was moving too quickly. Each of my children are unique and have different needs as well. In the beginning, I tried doing work with them together but that just never worked for us. They simply could not work together without a host of problems. Once I separated them and found materials that worked for each of them, they took off.

4. How do you choose resources/curriculum?

Again, through trial and error. I've been a member of this board for nearly all of my homeschooling years and got recommendations on the K-8 board by reading other people's experiences. Gosh, I'm not sure I ever used any curriculum that I didn't hear about on this board first.

I didn't feel a need to self educate until my kids started Algebra. But like everything else we used or did, I learned with them. I have found that teaching isn't always necessary. By that I mean, it's not necessary to be an expert in a subject to be able to help a student learn. With math, for example, I always sit and do the lessons with my son. We discuss the lesson as we go through it, each bringing something to the learning process.

6. What advice to you have for a new homeschooling mother?

First, believe in yourself to do this. There are so many helps for homeschooling online. This board with all of its forums is a TREASURE. You can even post a simple question like 'How do I teach my child to add fractions?' and you will get several really good suggestions.

Try not to curriculum hop too much. Be as consistent as you possibly can. This is one area that has really come back to bite me in the ... :tongue_smilie:

Understand that your children are unique and will have different needs. You may fall in love with a specific curriculum, say a math program, and feel it's the right thing for all 3 of your children. Yet you may see one of your children struggling. That could mean that specific approach isn't right for him. Again, these boards can be very helpful, even with something like this. You will always find at least one person who has BTDT and can share their own wisdom.

I remember so well being right where you are. Well, really, I started way behind you because you are asking some pretty good questions. It took me a long time to get beyond the "What is phonics?" type of questions! Just realize we are all at different places in the same journey. You have found an excellent place to hang out.

I will say I learned a lot from trying an integrated approach (mine was Sonlight back in the day) for a year or two. It gave me the ideas and confidence to take off on my own. There are many such programs now. Just an option to help you get started.

Blessings,

Trail and error, vision for something "better" than what I had/ what I was currently offering, learning and educating myself, taking my "job" as a home educator seriously.

Here is a partial list of my "eductional influencers." I also wrote a Master's thesis on why P\parents homeschool thier children. My lit review was on the history of ed in the U.S. Very informative re: the vision of government education. I also interviewed several homeschoolers for this. This was very inspiring to me personally becasue many of them were at the cutting edge of home educating (this was back in the early 80's). The kids of these families were amazing! The parents had a clear VISION for homeschooling.

I developed an educational pedagogy. This has helped me more than anything becuase this puts the curriculum in it's proper perspective.

4. How do you choose resources/curriculum?

This is based on our pedagogy/ course of study/goals for the year/what is available/ what we are confronted with in life at the time.

52 books a week challenge, teaching, writing, personal goals, magazines, talking and interacting with people smarter than me, being willing to ask questions and look dumb, etc.

6. What advice to you have for a new homeschooling mother? Develop your vision and pedagogy. Why are you homeschooling? (proactive reasons vs. reactive).

Welcome, both to homeschooling and to the WTM Board! You are about to embark on a wonderful adventure! Below are my thoughts on your questions. Warmest regards, Lori D.

In answer to questions #1, #2, #5 (how to learn how to teach/educate self)

- Lots of research and reading.

(threads on this Board; books; blogs of homeschoolers)

- Spending time with other homeschoolers in a small co-op

(especially when your children are young, whether it's a play day, a field trip, presentation day, etc, it's very helpful to see up-close what others use and how they do it)

- Real life homeschooling mentors, with children older than my own.

(can ask for advice on specific topics, "preview" materials to see if they are a fit for own DC, and can see ways of doing things/teaching with their older children that I felt would "click" for our family)

- Actually *use* curriculum.

(learn to teach by *doing*)

- Read through teacher manuals and teaching support resources provided with curriculum and programs.

(provides a lot of help and information for not only specifically teaching that subject, but often, teaching in general)

- Attend teaching sessions at annual State Homeschool Convention

(LOADS of great experience, specific tips and techniques, etc. -- often the speakers actually run their sessions as though they are the teacher and you the student to demonstrate HOW -- wonderful!)

- Learn as we go -- I learn alongside my DC.

In answer to question #3 (tweaking curriculum)

- Learn by doing -- by using the curriculum.

(the longer you homeschool, the more you know your children, and know what works best)

- Using a LOT of different curriculum.

(This is expensive and time-consuming, and every time you switch programs both you AND your child have a transition period, so I don't recommend this normally. I had one DS with learning issues, so I ended up a little desperate in those first 4 years running through about 2 spelling programs and 2 math programs a year trying to find what would fit for him. In the end, we found what worked for him, and I learned a TON about how to tweak (since I now understood the basic teaching emphasis of a *lot* of different programs!) -- but this is not the most efficient or inexpensive way of learning how to tweak; it's just the way it happened here.)

In answer to question #4 (how to choose curriculum)

- Research and reading:

* WTM threads

* online descriptions and sample pages of specific programs

* Rainbow Resource catalog reviews/descriptions

* curriculum and vendor tables at the annual State Homeschool Convention

* discussing/looking over what fellow local homeschoolers are using

- "Test-driving" a friend's materials.

- Prayerfully make a list of what each child's specific needs are in each subject area for the following school year; then look for materials I think will best fill those needs; often it is just buying the next level of what is already working for math, spelling, etc.

In answer to question #6 (advice to new homeschooler)

- "It's not first and foremost about your child's academics; it's about YOUR sanctification" -- Debra Bell

(Quote I heard at my first homeschool convention, just prior to starting homeschooling, and it has stuck with me throughout our 12 years of homeschooling -- and it really is TRUE!)

- Pray -- a lot!

(The Lord empowers us to do what He calls us to; we just need to ask.)

- Find some real life support/fellow homeschooling community.

(I see you list your location as California; I believe there are quite a few homeschoolers and homeschooling groups there. You might also ask around in your church if there are any homeschoolers, as they will also have similar spiritual and childrearing goals.)

- Don't try to recreate a classroom in your home

(Homeschooling allows you so much flexibility and individuality -- make full use of it! School in pajamas sometimes; sometimes just drop your schedule and go for a hike or other outing; set aside a formal subject for a week or a month to allow DC to pursue a passion; learn where ever you are -- all of life is a learning opportunity; realize that those most teachable moments are usually not while sitting at a desk with the math textbook, but in the car while running errands...)

- ENJOY your journey!

(Don't get so caught up in research, or trying to learn techniques, or "the latest curriculum or fad" that you forget to just have fun together, and enjoy the moment ... truly, homeschooling and teaching your children is just one part of living together and enjoying one another as individuals.)

Edited by Lori D.

I am a little hesitant to post this as I am not sure if this is the right place and from reading a lot of threads on here I am in awe of all of you. So, please forgive me if I have made a mistake.

This is the high school and the self-education board - you have not made a mistake! :D

...I have/already am reading WTM and Charlotte Mason. Also, I am interested in the technique of teaching

Welcome.

My simple answer is to read The Well Trained Mind andThe Well Educated Mind; both are fantastic resources.

:iagree:

I could give you detailed answers to all your questions, but really, for me, I have learned about most of the things you asked about just by homeschooling my kids - following the WTM instructions and suggested resources (tweaking along the way, as I gradually understood more and more). And reading these forums and asking zillions of questions over the years. I have had to learn just about everything from the bottom up, too. It has been difficult at times, but fun, and fulfilling. And I talk about this with my kids, so they understand that learning is not just for "school time," but for life.

I figured out how to use the multi-quote button!:001_smile:

When I first started, I just picked things that I had seen recommended and began using them. Working with my kids it became obvious which things worked for their learning style and which did not. I always listen to my kids and their opinion, and they will notice if something does not work for them. Then I go and search for something else that addresses the issue we had with the first curriculum. Sometimes a well known, widely used curriculum can be a bad fit. If the kids are bored, do not enjoy their school work, are not motivated to use the curriculum, do not make progress, do not retain I would examine the curriculum choice.

Thank you for this lovely reply. I love the whole thing but I wanted to ask how you initially choose curriculum. I have no idea what my children's learning styles are so I guess I am at a loss to figure out what to choose. It seems like every curriculum is recommended by someone. (Although, I must say that certain people on the boards here are completely set on one curriculum- Miquon and Spalding come to mind!) Do I just jump in somewhere and choose one?

You can't make a mistake asking a question. :grouphug:

Books that helped me teach-though I just recently read it, I wish I had read it first-

Ordinary Children, Extraordinary Teachers by Marva Collins and Marva Collins' Way.

Thank you! I will look into these!

I often used curriculum that had teacher guides. In the beginning, I got a lot of hand-holding through those materials. Homeschooling help books were helpful. Obviously, I recommend TWTM. I also read lots of books and online websites for the various homeschooling methods I was interested in. And honestly, I tried almost all of them.

Again, through trial and error. I've been a member of this board for nearly all of my homeschooling years and got recommendations on the K-8 board by reading other people's experiences. Gosh, I'm not sure I ever used any curriculum that I didn't hear about on this board first.

Thank you so much! I have the same question as well for you as well as Regentrude. How did you initially choose curriculum? It just seems like that every curriculum is liked by someone and the same curriculum is hated by others.:confused:

I will say I learned a lot from trying an integrated approach (mine was Sonlight back in the day) for a year or two.

I am so sorry to be dumb but what exactly is an integrated approach?

Here is a partial list of my "eductional influencers."

I developed an educational pedagogy. This has helped me more than anything becuase this puts the curriculum in it's proper perspective.

52 books a week challenge,

Thank you! I will be reading your blog and all of the information on it! Thank you so much for that! I am so very grateful! I already read your post on the educational pedagogy and I am so grateful. I am excited to read the rest of your blog. I also was wondering- do you really read 52 books in a week?

In answer to question #4 (how to choose curriculum)

- Research and reading:

* WTM threads

* online descriptions and sample pages of specific programs

* Rainbow Resource catalog reviews/descriptions

* curriculum and vendor tables at the annual State Homeschool Convention

* discussing/looking over what fellow local homeschoolers are using

- "Test-driving" a friend's materials.

- Prayerfully make a list of what each child's specific needs are in each subject area for the following school year; then look for materials I think will best fill those needs; often it is just buying the next level of what is already working for math, spelling, etc.

In answer to question #6 (advice to new homeschooler)

- "It's not first and foremost about your child's academics; it's about YOUR sanctification" -- Debra Bell

(Quote I heard at my first homeschool convention, just prior to starting homeschooling, and it has stuck with me throughout our 12 years of homeschooling -- and it really is TRUE!)

- Pray -- a lot!

(The Lord empowers us to do what He calls us to; we just need to ask.)

This was really helpful and a good reminder. Thank you!

I could give you detailed answers to all your questions, but really, for me, I have learned about most of the things you asked about just by homeschooling my kids - following the WTM instructions and suggested resources (tweaking along the way, as I gradually understood more and more). And reading these forums and asking zillions of questions over the years. I have had to learn just about everything from the bottom up, too. It has been difficult at times, but fun, and fulfilling. And I talk about this with my kids, so they understand that learning is not just for "school time," but for life.

Thank you!

It was by trial and error, though there weren't many real "errors", because my kids were pretty easy going. I tried to keep things fun and interesting, but also stressed daily work and daily practice, and I think finding the balance between those is the essential component to homeschooling enjoyably and successfully.

None, really. I reflected back on teachers I'd had who really made it interesting, and went from there. In high school one lit teacher played recordings of Chaucer in middle English, assigned roles to be acted out, and in general kept things lively--and also assigned papers, had quizzes, etc. The other lit teacher just assigned readings and lit.analysis papers and never expressed a whit of joy in any of it. Which teacher had more to do with my success and later being a lit. major? The fun one! So, I tried to be like her and the other teachers I remembered getting the most from.

You find out what works for you child. Some kids like repetition because they like knowing "the right answer" while other children hate repetition because they only care about learning new things. Some kids to write a decent essay from having read good essays, other kids have to have it painstakingly.explained.to.them.many.times. You'll get a feel for your kids as you go.

This is where trial and error came in for us. I loved getting the Rainbow Resource catalog and making my selections. . . but I hated some of the stuff I ended up with. Over the years I learned not to trust reviews in catalogs. Use your library--it's worth a dozen catalogs.

Reading, watching documentaries.

6. What advice to you have for a new homeschooling mother? I would be so grateful for anything!

It's better to do a little bit every day than try to pile on a lot and give up in frustration six months later. In the early years I was very structured about spelling/handwriting, math and history. We did it every day, but our whole "schoolday" took maybe 1.5 hours. Short and sweet throughout elementary. Reading time was after lunch, sometimes assigned readings, but mostly whatever they chose. Everything else was depending on our mood, the weather, activities, etc.

In contrast, I saw lots of my fellow moms in homeschooling group plan out piles of work it would take their little kids hours of structured time to do, and then they threw in the towel when the kids hated it or it took too much time and everyone was miserable.

Slow and steady wins the race, IME.

It's a grand adventure and I hope you love it as much as we do!

I figured out how to use the multi-quote button!:001_smile:

See! You are successfully self-educating already! :tongue_smilie:

How did you initially choose curriculum? It just seems like that every curriculum is liked by someone and the same curriculum is hated by others.:confused:

If you don't have a strong leaning of going with one program over another due to a particular child's learning needs, then go with materials you think will fit YOUR teaching style, will be easy for YOU to implement, AND programs that look they will be enjoyable and interesting to you and your DC.

And once you get going, if you find you (or DC) are hating it, not understanding it, and/or your DC are not progressing with it, well... you learned something! :) Make notes on what didn't work and why -- you may find you could come back to that program later on with some tweaking. A different child may fit fine with that program when he/she grows into it. Or, maybe it's best to dump it entirely and go with a program that comes from a completely different approach. Even from a program that ended up NOT working, you will be able to make a more specific conclusion as to what WILL work, for the future. :)

I would gently suggest NOT picking or rejecting a program based on someone else saying they liked it or hated it, especially when the person does not give solid *reasons* why it did not work for them. You can learn a lot about whether a program will work for you, even at this early stage by looking for those reasons. Examples:

- not enough teaching explanation

(that is something that will probably be very important to you in the first few years, or with subject areas you feel weak in later on in middle school/high school)

- required too much teacher prep time

(when you are first getting started, you will naturally need to plan more time for yourself to learn how to use the programs you choose, how to schedule them, how to set up/organize your material for the next school day/week, etc.; HOWEVER, if an experienced homeschooler is saying a program takes too long, that might be a warning light to at least not start off with that program)

- too much repetition/not enough review ... too much/not enough hands-on ... too much/not enough worksheets/workbooks ... etc.

(you'll quickly discover how much/how little of this each of your DC needs to know if the program is a match or not for you)

- required too much/not enough working independently

(moms with larger families often need programs that foster independent working; but because you and DC are still learning what homeschooling looks like for your family, AND your DC are very young -- independent working is not very realistic; you can certainly slowly work towards that goal, but for your first year (and based on your signature listing your DC as young), I would suggest you expect to be there for all 3 DSs for all the homeschooling -- knowing all that might help you select one program over another, knowing you will be sitting there with DSs)

- required having to search for too many of the hands-on items

(another thing that may be a "make or break" for you in the early years -- if you have to regularly remember to go out and buy items, you may find you just never get around to doing it because you don't have the "parts" for it)

- didn't work with a particular child's personality/learning style

(how similar or different was the child in that post to your own DC -- that may give you a clue whether or not a program would be a match for your own DC)

- didn't match expectations

(what were their expectations -- are those similar or different than yours, and so does that give you a clue as to whether the program might work/not work for you?)

I am so sorry to be dumb but what exactly is an integrated approach?

Not dumb at all! And please don't say that!

You are in the midst of the learning curve of figuring out methods of homeschooling, educational philosophies, what is needed as far as school topics to cover, and then trying to understand the approach of all the different programs for the different school topics! That is a LOT to learn, and it doesn't happen instantly; so there are NO dumb questions or dumb posters here! :)

In answer to your question: "integrated approach" means that some (or even most) of the school subjects are interlinked. A unit study is a good example; the different school subjects (history, geography, science, literature, art; etc.) are all about a single topic, such as a time period (ancients), a country (Japan), or other topic (examples: birds; explorers; medicine; musical instruments; magnetism; etc.)

The poster who mentioned integrated approach was referring to Sonlight Curriculum, in which the geography, history, and reading/literature usually tend to be about the same topic.

Hope that helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

...I wanted to ask how you initially choose curriculum. ...Do I just jump in somewhere and choose one?

Jump in with some kind of knowledge. I jumped in to picking books/methods from the WTM book, because the book resonated with me. If some homeschooling philosophy book resonates with you, then start out by trying out its recommendations. You can learn what works/what doesn't work from there.

I would gently suggest NOT picking or rejecting a program based on someone else saying they liked it or hated it, especially when the person does not give solid *reasons* why it did not work for them.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: If someone is saying they hate or love a certain resource, but don't say why; then jump right in and ask them WHY. Ask them to name specific reasons. Or, you can always do a board search for that resource, and find posts where people are giving their reasons why they like or hate it. Ask whatever questions come to mind, that you cannot find the answers for - sooner or later, someone will help you. I always feel silly asking questions here, because I think, "Everyone else must know the answer to this!" but it's not always true. And just think - some future homeschooler will read your old posts and find the answers they were looking for. :D

… Now, could you teach me how to do the multi quote reply?!:001_smile:

Down in the lower right of the post is the "Quote" button, than a button with a "+", then a button with a quill. The multiquote button is the button with the +. Just keep selecting that button on each of the posts you want to quote. Try it out - it's a lot of fun!

Jump in with some kind of knowledge. I jumped in to picking books/methods from the WTM book, because the book resonated with me. If some homeschooling philosophy book resonates with you, then start out by trying out its recommendations. You can learn what works/what doesn't work from there.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: If someone is saying they hate or love a certain resource, but don't say why; then jump right in and ask them WHY. Ask them to name specific reasons. Or, you can always do a board search for that resource, and find posts where people are giving their reasons why they like or hate it. Ask whatever questions come to mind, that you cannot find the answers for - sooner or later, someone will help you. I always feel silly asking questions here, because I think, "Everyone else must know the answer to this!" but it's not always true. And just think - some future homeschooler will read your old posts and find the answers they were looking for. :D

Totally this :iagree:.

Down in the lower right of the post is the "Quote" button, than a button with a "+", then a button with a quill. The multiquote button is the button with the +. Just keep selecting that button on each of the posts you want to quote. Try it out - it's a lot of fun!

Wow! Thanks Twigs!

Pretty much, yes. Although I have a teaching degree, I have learned so much more about how to teach through homeschooling than I ever did in college or my time teaching PS. I began by giving my dc preschool workbooks, games, crafts, etc. How they interacted with these materials told me a lot about their learning styles and preferences. The rest I learned over the years.

I used "Learn at Home" workbooks for K and 1st. I liked that all the core basics were covered, but it included project and activity ideas. I also bought "What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know", which is available for grades K-6. You could easily do the early grades with only these 2 resources and the library. That said, I read TWTM in preparation for 2nd grade, and mainly followed those recommendations that year. Add in the Rainbow Resource catalog and recommendations from this board, and it has been trial and error since then. Those "Homeschooling the Early Years" type books were also helpful.

Familiarize yourself with the teacher's manual, intro., whatever explains how the program is supposed to work and try to feel as comfortable as possible with how to use it before implementing. Then, after the first couple of weeks, see what is working and what isn't, and make little modifications that your children enjoy or respond to better. Take their complaints about the program or apparent boredom or losing focus to heart, and try ways to remedy those issues. Stay true to the meat of the program, but don't get so bogged down with "following the script" that you forget to go at your own child's pace.

I would either start with a basic core (such as the books I mentioned above), or follow TWTM recommendations. Find a philosophy or approach that resonates with you, and follow their guidelines. You will find out what worked and what didn't and make adjustments next year (or even midyear if necessary). Don't forget a curriculum should fit your teaching style as well as your dc's learning style, or you won't want to teach it.

I learn along with my dc. The vast majority of my world history knowledge comes from SOTW, etc. I am finding that, subjects which I didn't fully grasp as I child, I am able to pick up very quickly and it all fits together. I can be reading the same lesson along with my child, process the info. and explain it to him/her before the child grasps the concept. For my own personal growth, I listen to NPR a LOT as well as watching educational TV programming.

The best advice I have for starting out, is not to overdo it. Don't over-buy and over-schedule. There are so many topics we want to cover and so many wonderful resources out there, we want to buy it all and do it all. The attempt to cram it all in will only burn out your dc and yourself. Start out slowly, adding in as it seems appropriate and if you feel you can fit it in. Think through what you want your homeschool to be, the atmosphere, the content, the learning approach, and only buy what fits those needs. You can always buy more, but unused books on the shelf scream to be used, whether that is best for your dc or not, lest you feel you "wasted" money. At the same time, don't be afraid to change something that is not working, just because you spent money on it. Buying and reselling curriculum that didn't fit your dc is part of the learning process, and most of us are still doing it.

HTH,

Totally this :iagree:.

Wow! Thanks Twigs!

It worked!! I tried before but I could never quite get the hang of it. You are da bomb!!