Menu

Secular literature guides for Middle/High school

What are the brands of literature guides available that are secular, or at least easy to modify to be secular, available for middle/high school?

What would you use to add short stories and poems to an 8th-grader's reading list, in addition to classic/good quality novels?

Thank you,

I think the easiest and cheapest way to add short stories/essays/poetry is to buy the teacher's guide to a public school literature text. You can buy the McDougal Littell for 7th grade at Amazon for less than $5.00 used (http://www.amazon.com/Mcdougal-Littell-Language-Literature-0618136657/dp/0618136657/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331596865&sr=8-3

The teacher's edition has all the student pages plus notes for the teacher around the edges (to identify literary elements like foreshadowing, metaphor, climax, etc.). Between novels, I'll assign some of the poetry and short stories/essays for him to read so we can discuss literary elements. He's not distracted by the teacher's notes at all. Some of the authors included in this text are: Frost, Langston Hughes, Avi, Dickens, Giovanni, Lewis Carroll, Louis L'Amour, Bradbury, Dahl, Tolstoy, Kipling. Soooo easy to use and all the teacher's notes are right there in the margins!!

Thanks, Mary!

I would never have guess that a public school literature textbook would actually have classic authors! When I looked at elementary reading books in the past, I never recognized any of the stories or authors, so figured they were using sub-par literature.

I will check that book out!

I like Blackbird and Company guides for middle school.

I also use Windows to the World when my kids are in eighth grade. It uses classic short stories to teach literature analysis.

Wanted to add Windows to the World is not secular. But as one who prefers secular material, it worked for us. One whole section focuses on bible references/world view found in literature---something good to recognize even from a secular viewpoint. Other than that section, it is pretty much secular.

Edited by missmoe

Online, Free:

Reading Units by Gay Miller (elementary)

Homeschool Share reading units (elementary)

Novel Study reading guides by Brian Thornton (elementary/middle school)

Teacher Vision (middle school/high school)

Glencoe Literary Library (middle school/high school)

Bibliomania (high school/college)

Penguin Group (high school/college)

Sparknotes (high school/college)

Cliff's Notes (high school/college)

Pink Monkey (high school/college)

Schmoop (middle school/high school)

Schmoop (high school/college)

Online, For a Fee

Book Rags (high school/college)

eNotes (high school/college)

For purchase:

Inside Stories (elementary)

Blackbird (elementary/middle school)

Discovering Literature series (Garlic Press Publishers)

Portals to Literature (middle school/high school)

Parallel Shakespeare (middle school/high school)

Literature Guide for the Middle School Classroom -- resource for creating own guides

Poetry, Short Story Resources

Dream in Color, free, poetry (middle school)

Schmoop, free. poetry (middle school)

Schmoop, free, poetry (high school/college)

Sparknotes, free, poetry (high school/college)

eNotes, for a fee, poetry (high school/college)

Bibliomania, free; both poetry and short stories as well as novels and plays (high school/college)

eNotes, for a fee, short stories

Christian author, secular program:

Lightning Literature 7, and 8 (complete, 1-year program; middle school)

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (grade 7-10) (1-year program)

Edited by Lori D.

• 2 weeks later...
I like Blackbird and Company guides for middle school.

I also use Windows to the World when my kids are in eighth grade. It uses classic short stories to teach literature analysis.

Wanted to add Windows to the World is not secular. But as one who prefers secular material, it worked for us. One whole section focuses on bible references/world view found in literature---something good to recognize even from a secular viewpoint. Other than that section, it is pretty much secular.

I thought I was dead set on using Light.Lit 7 for my rising 7th grade dd, still basically am, but I clicked on the Windows to the World link.....!! Could you tell me your experience with the program? I'm thinking maybe use LL7 and then LL8 and THEN Windows to the World for 9th.....it seems like it was geared toward high school....but I see you use it for 8th grade.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

I thought I was dead set on using Light.Lit 7 for my rising 7th grade dd, still basically am, but I clicked on the Windows to the World link.....!! Could you tell me your experience with the program? I'm thinking maybe use LL7 and then LL8 and THEN Windows to the World for 9th.....it seems like it was geared toward high school....but I see you use it for 8th grade.

Well, only TWO YEARS late in seeing this, and you are probably LONG past needing any info ;)... BUT, in case anyone else wants a quick response to this same question:

Yes, you could use Windows to the World (WttW) with a strong reader/writer 8th grader. Especially if the student has already done some literary analysis. If the student is all-new to doing classic literature and any kind of analysis, then, yes, LL7 and LL8 make great first stepping stones, and then doing WttW in high school.

WttW is designed as a 1-semester high school course. You could easily spread it out, and intersperse with some novels and individual lit. guides and maybe the Progeny Press guide on poetry (or other uit on poetry (WttW focuses on 6 short shories). Or, to make WttW a full-year program, you could also get the Jill Pike syllabus, which adds some longer works to fill out the program.

Sorry I didn't see your question 2 years ago! ;) Hope it has all worked out well for you. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Well, only TWO YEARS late in seeing this, and you are probably LONG past needing any info ;)... BUT, in case anyone else wants a quick response to this same question:

Yes, you could use Windows to the World (WttW) with a strong reader/writer 8th grader. Especially if the student has already done some literary analysis. If the student is all-new to doing classic literature and any kind of analysis, then, yes, LL7 and LL8 make great first stepping stones, and then doing WttW in high school.

WttW is designed as a 1-semester high school course. You could easily spread it out, and intersperse with some novels and individual lit. guides and maybe the Progeny Press guide on poetry (or other uit on poetry (WttW focuses on 6 short shories). Or, to make WttW a full-year program, you could also get the Jill Pike syllabus, which adds some longer works to fill out the program.

Sorry I didn't see your question 2 years ago! ;) Hope it has all worked out well for you. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you Lori!

We actually used LL 7-8 for the past 2 years and it has worked well with dd.

This will be a whole new post, coming soon, but we have decided to do a transition year, before 9th grade, in August. Dd will only be 13, so we have the advantage to have one more year of middle school. This will give another year of growth, maturity, and time to really focus on high school skills!

Windows to the World is something we are thinking of using in this transition year along with IEW writing. I will post soon to get some suggestions on certain subjects that we want to fully focus on!

Thanks again Lori D. 😉