Menu

Informal cooking class idea

Sometimes I find out an acquaintance or friend doesn't know how to do something in the kitchen that I think of as basic...how to make stock from a carcass, bake a pie, make pizza, etc. I also get a lot of compliments on my cooking. One night I was in the kitchen and had an idea:

I was thinking about offering some informal cooking classes (for adults) in my home to people I know on Facebook, through homeschool groups, etc. I would do a short series, maybe one a month, where 3-5 people would come over for a demonstration, taste each thing made, and take home recipes. Each class would be offered as an individual class so people could pick and choose what they were interested in. I was thinking of doing this on a Saturday when dad's would be home to take care of kids, but my daughter could be available to help with any that needed to come.

Here's a sample of class ideas I had (though some of these might be too much for one class and need to be broken up):

1 Chicken 3 Meals: This class would teach how to cut the breasts out of a whole chicken for making the first meal. Meal ideas are fried chicken, seasoned "grilled" chicken, orange chicken. Then we'd learn how to use the rest of the chicken to make broth for chicken soup and freezing. Finally, some of the boiled meat would be seasoned for addition to Mexican-type foods (ie. on top of rice and beans, in a burrito, on a taco salad).

Pizza Times Four: Learn to make pizza crust in 10 minutes. Then use that crust to make traditional pizza, alfredo pizza (with homemade alfredo), breakfast pizza, and dessert pizza.

Plenty of Pies: Learn to make a traditional and cookie crumb crust. Then we'll make chocolate pie and apple pie. (I'm thinking about adding another kind.)

Peanut Butter and Chocolate, Oh My!: This would feature some of my family's favorite chocolate desserts that whip up fairly quickly. Peanut butter cup brownies, chocolate peanut butter bars (tastes like Reeses Cups), and chocolate peanut clusters.

Do you think there would be interest?

What would you be willing to pay per class?

I would do it. Can you move here? :)

I would do the meals, not the desserts. I have enough sweet things that I love and make for special occasions and I'm trying to cut our sugar down. I might do the sweet ones around the holidays.

If you could come up with more "cook once and use twice".... Those are what I would be most interested in.

Price--hm.... I don't know. Maybe check some culinary studios around the country for ideas.

I think it would really be best to survey interest from those who you know locally. You can find instructions (and usually videos) online already on how to prepare just about any dishes these days. I came home one day and found my teen son had hopped online to learn how to make scrambled eggs...and since it was Gordon Ramsey he found he now makes them a lot better than I do. We've watched how to make all sorts of things online--marshmallows, maple syrup candy, paneer...

IMO you'd need to find people who would want to take classes for other added reasons (fun, fellowship, coaching, learn better from interactive style, not motivated on their own, etc).

I don't mean to discourage you, but since you asked for opinions, that's what came to mind.

I would probably do it for around $20-$25, mostly for the fun of it. But I don't know if that would make it worth your while, since I would want that to include supplies.

Oh, and I would add how to make a basic white sauce to your class ideas, and maybe a few dishes/other sauces that use it as a base. I know tons of people who are decent cooks but don't know how to make a white sauce.

I would probably do it for around $20-$25, mostly for the fun of it. But I don't know if that would make it worth your while, since I would want that to include supplies.

Oh, and I would add how to make a basic white sauce to your class ideas, and maybe a few dishes/other sauces that use it as a base. I know tons of people who are decent cooks but don't know how to make a white sauce.

One of my pizzas would include homemade alfredo. Another pizza has homemade sausage gravy.

Another idea I had was chicken/turkey pot pie, which includes homemade cream of chicken.