Menu

Pink SLIME ... may be coming to a school near you

Seriously. You have to read this to believe it. We always called the "meat" served at school "mystery meat", but this stuff is even worse as they know some of the content of it and plan on serving it to children anyway. They should be beyond ashamed.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/seven-million-tons-8220-pink-slime-8221-beef-180500764.html

One more reason yet to homeschool, or pack a lunch, or go vegetarian.

One more reason yet to homeschool' date=' or pack a lunch, or go vegetarian.[/quote']

Oh but we have seen how some public schools now dictate that your child have their version of a "healthy lunch" and I guess this makes the cut.

Soylent Green anyone?

That is sooooo disgusting! *shudder*. Apparently they don't use pink slime in Canada, but possibly "meat glue". I need to call my neighbor about another side of beef....

So is this school lunch program trying to make themselves a laughingstock? Ketchup is a vegetable? Deep fried chicken nuggets likely mostly filler? Pink slime in the beef? Who comes up with crap?! They need some good frugalista homemaker gals in there who know a thing about putting together a cheap, easy meal that's actually delicious and nutritious.

That is sooooo disgusting! *shudder*. Apparently they don't use pink slime in Canada, but possibly "meat glue". I need to call my neighbor about another side of beef....

So is this school lunch program trying to make themselves a laughingstock? Ketchup is a vegetable? Deep fried chicken nuggets likely mostly filler? Pink slime in the beef? Who comes up with crap?! They need some good frugalista homemaker gals in there who know a thing about putting together a cheap, easy meal that's actually delicious and nutritious.

They complain that kids won't actually eat the healthy stuff, they'll just throw it away. They'd rather have kids eat garbage than eat nothing. :glare: I'm sure they'd hear so many parent complaints. I'm of the "let them go hungry for a day and they'll learn to eat" camp. But that's not the path of least resistance.

You get what you pay for. What are the school lunch prices nowdays?

According to this article, the US average is $2.58.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1821986,00.html

As Rae said, homeschooling mamas could do better than pink slime. :glare:

Ignore that link ... it's from 2008. Off to find current pricing. lol

ETA: Looks like the USDA gives schools $2.77 for each free lunch and $.26 for each fully paid one. So take the price of the school lunch and add the $.26 to it. I think they could do better than they do. There's lots of proteins other than meat which cost less and don't have any pink slime added.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

When you figure the cost for the cooks and resources these schools are paying for lunch it makes sense it's practically non-food. It always makes me super sad there's so many communities without gardens/farms for the schools. There's no excuse that people can't grow food for the kids.

When you figure the cost for the cooks and resources these schools are paying for lunch it makes sense it's practically non-food. It always makes me super sad there's so many communities without gardens/farms for the schools. There's no excuse that people can't grow food for the kids.

I agree. When there's land available, the schools should have their own gardens. It would be great for the students in so many ways. I would think that even some city schools could make rooftop gardens of some kind.

I saw a report on Pink Slime on the news. I'm sure my local stores probably use the stuff. I have a KitchenAid mixer and bought a food grinder attachment for it.

I got a tip to freeze the meat for a bit before grinding. I did my first batch of ground beef today. It turned out fabulous! We got a chuck roast on sale so it was cheaper than ground beef with pink slime.

I'm very happy and will be grinding my own meats from now on! I think the grinder did a great job. Before & after pics.

post-29349-13535086393671_thumb.jpg

post-29349-13535086393885_thumb.jpg

I saw a report on Pink Slime on the news. I'm sure my local stores probably use the stuff. I have a KitchenAid mixer and bought a food grinder attachment for it.

I got a tip to freeze the meat for a bit before grinding. I did my first batch of ground beef today. It turned out fabulous! We got a chuck roast on sale so it was cheaper than ground beef with pink slime.

I'm very happy and will be grinding my own meats from now on! I think the grinder did a great job. Before & after pics.

What I have been doing is finding a nice chuck roast and bringing it to the on-site butcher....and watching him grind it for me. It usually turns out cheaper and much more delicious than regular ground beef which has been packaged already. I may look like a nut, but I am NOT feeding my kids the junk they pass off as " ground beef."

Faithe

What I have been doing is finding a nice chuck roast and bringing it to the on-site butcher....and watching him grind it for me. It usually turns out cheaper and much more delicious than regular ground beef which has been packaged already. I may look like a nut, but I am NOT feeding my kids the junk they pass off as " ground beef."

Faithe

I thought about doing the same thing, but then I read that the butchers grinder is only cleaned once a day. I would think it's the same grinder they use to grind the pink slime with beef to make hamburger? The attachment was only $43 so I figured I'd try and grind the meat myself.

Today I'm going to grind chicken breast and turkey breast. I'm also going to grind some pork and make my own low fat chorizo. :)

Ha! I did the exact same thing! Right down to the cut of meat and everything! :lol: I had just over 2lbs, and it made 10 burgers.

The taste difference was amazing. I expected it to look different, but I was not prepared for the difference in taste. Yeah, dh and I are both agreed that we won't be buying any more pre-ground beef. We hardly ever eat red meat anyway.

We buy a lot of ground turkey; is there anything scary in that? We also buy tubes of pork sausage, that say they are just pork, salt, sugar, and spices. And yes, from time to time we buy a giant "log" of ground beef and make burgers. Now I'm thinking I need to do like some of the other posters and grind a roast up myself!