Menu

Has anyone seen this?

It's the next morning thing I have the most trouble with. Why didn't she notice when they got home and were getting ready for bed? Also, why didn't any of the other children notice or say anything? Hmm, seems very odd. We've *almost* left dc behind, because we often go in separate cars, but dh and I head-counters and don't leave til everyone is accounted for. So I can see how it would possible to leave her behind at the pizza place...but when she wasn't at home???

It's the next morning thing I have the most trouble with. Why didn't she notice when they got home and were getting ready for bed? Also, why didn't any of the other children notice or say anything? Hmm, seems very odd. We've *almost* left dc behind, because we often go in separate cars, but dh and I head-counters and don't leave til everyone is accounted for. So I can see how it would possible to leave her behind at the pizza place...but when she wasn't at home???

Well, I can *sort* of understand how it might happen, especially if a lot of the other kids are older. One time we had come back home from Bible study (so it was dark), and I sent the kids all upstairs to get pajamas on while I nursed the baby and dh puttered around doing something (starting the dishwasher or something). It is just sort of chaotic around bedtime, with kids wandering around in each others' rooms, and so on, older brothers helping younger kids brush, etc. I hollered for my 2 year old to go potty and bring me a pull-up for bedtime--and she never answered. Where was she?! Everyone started looking around, and then we realized that we had left her in the van! Poor thing! Fortunately she didn't seem too traumatized, LOL, but now we are MUCH more careful about making sure that everyone exits the vehicle as well as enters it!

But if we had an even less-involved bedtime routine ("all right, kids, everyone get yourselves to bed" and then just assume they do so), then we could have not missed her until morning. But I would have finished up nursing, and either dh or myself (or both) go up to pray and tuck people in, so we would have noticed then for sure, and so would her sisters with whom she shares a room! Still--it was scary enough!

I have a friend whose sister left her daughter at a rest stop for 8 hours (4 hours each way)

It was in the days before cell phones. What happened is that two vans carrying about 15 people in total were making a road trip. They each thought the other van had the girl (about 9 years old) until they reached their dinner destination and realized she had been left behind!

It was a restaurant/bar/rest stop and they called from a pay phone to talk to police on the other end who confirmed the girl was there and had been fed and was being talked to and taken care of.

Dawn

I can see leaving a child, it is late, everyone is tired, and there were a lot of kids to keep track of, but I would notice when putting them to bed that someone was missing. No matter how late we get home I tuck everyone in and kiss them goodnight. Not everyone does that though, but think most people would at least check in on a 5 year old, right?