Menu

What does a reading curriculum look like in 5th grade?

Well, next year I plan on using Classical House of Learning, Logic stage Ancients. It is a free online schedule if you want to google it and look at it to get an idea of what our 5th grade reading lessons will look like.

I am not dealing with a struggling reader though. So our work will look different than yours. But I thought I would post it so you could see an avg. 5th grade reading program.

It assigns pages to be read each day from books. Then it has questions to answer, writing assignments, vocab words to learn, and extra projects to do. The focus is not on learning to read fluently. It is on the content of the books and learning about literature.

What kind of issues is he struggling with? Decoding bigger words? Understanding what he reads? Reading with fluency? All of the above?

Off hand, I'd consider a program like "Megawords" as a resource to help decode larger words. For reading comprehension, I'd use WWE. I think the short texts paired with questioning and summarizing is a very powerful way to help a child really pay attention to what they are reading (and lots of writing practice too, of course!). For improvement in fluency, I'd suggest finding books that are easier than his level where he can just zoom through them with pleasure. Poetry reading and 'readers theater' (or books with lots of dialogue) can also be great sources to help a child learn to read aloud more smoothly.

I have used Remedia Publications non-fiction reading comprehension materials, worked on eye tracking with word searches and now use Plato Learning's reading lessons as well as an old 5th grade reader from Rod and Staff. The R&S book has different selections of fiction and non-fiction and written in various writing styles with vocabulary and comprehension questions for each selection.

I know this advice probably is wrong, but...I would say give him the chance to read on his own, whatever he wants, even below grade level, and NOT read aloud. I hated hated hated reading aloud and still don't like it. But I read many levels above grade level when allowed to just read for fun. I helped fluency and speed, which made reading more fun. If I read aloud I lost the train of the narrative and hated it.

:iagree: I would actually decrease the amount of reading aloud, and allow your child to read *whatever* holds his interest (regardless of level). Reading fluency is built by reading. I don't know about MegaWords, we used Hooked on Phonics Advanced Reader System. My children all still read aloud, but it's kept to a very small portion of reading...usually some in science, history and Bible (or when they haven't read the directions to an assignment and "can't" do it.)

I have used Remedia Publications non-fiction reading comprehension materials, worked on eye tracking with word searches and now use Plato Learning's reading lessons as well as an old 5th grade reader from Rod and Staff. The R&S book has different selections of fiction and non-fiction and written in various writing styles with vocabulary and comprehension questions for each selection.

Thank you

I know this advice probably is wrong, but...I would say give him the chance to read on his own, whatever he wants, even below grade level, and NOT read aloud. I hated hated hated reading aloud and still don't like it. But I read many levels above grade level when allowed to just read for fun. I helped fluency and speed, which made reading more fun. If I read aloud I lost the train of the narrative and hated it.

He doesn't like to read aloud, but he won't read on his own. The books that fit the "below level" criteria have pictures - and he can pretty much narrate the story just from the pictures.

Well, next year I plan on using Classical House of Learning, Logic stage Ancients. It is a free online schedule if you want to google it and look at it to get an idea of what our 5th grade reading lessons will look like.

I am not dealing with a struggling reader though. So our work will look different than yours. But I thought I would post it so you could see an avg. 5th grade reading program.

It assigns pages to be read each day from books. Then it has questions to answer, writing assignments, vocab words to learn, and extra projects to do. The focus is not on learning to read fluently. It is on the content of the books and learning about literature.

I've used some of CHOL's grammar ancients, so I do know what you are talking about. Thanks for the info on her logic stage.

What kind of issues is he struggling with? Decoding bigger words? Understanding what he reads? Reading with fluency? All of the above?

In just the last short while I've seriously considered that he has a visual processing disorder that I am unable to help him with. When he came home at 3rd grade/1st month, he was testing at a 1.6 reading level. By the beginning of 4th grade, ten months later, he'd gained to a 3.6ish level. And he's stalled there. I tried the Dianne Craft exercises, and we just didn't see any progress. I am searching for a OD now, but it will have to be out of state (at least 8hrs from home). One of the disadvantages of living on the backside of nowhere....

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I feel very needy when I post this kind of stuff and greatly appreciate your advice.

I wanted my oldest to readaloud b/c I found he wasn't always pronouncing/sounding out words correctly. However, he struggled w/ reading aloud for quite awhile, so we started using the McGuffey readers. The stories didn't really interest him, but they were SHORT. When we started, we would re-read the same story (once per day) for sometimes 4 days in a row, until he could correctly sound out the words. It didn't take too long, before it was rare for him to have to re-read a story. You can find these for free on-line so you can place him correctly.

Have you done an OG-based method of phonics instruction? If you have tried a good number of methods and he's still not reading as a rising 5th grader, it's time to do some checking into why. I know I said "not reading" and you're saying he's reading. I'm just saying *I* would start looking for some why's and not just keep plowing on, hoping for the best. He could have some underlying problems that you could actually do something about. He may need a more meticulous approach to instruction (Barton, Wilson, whatever). He may have some vision or visual processing problems. (You get a developmental optometrist through COVD to check that.) He may have some working memory and executive function issues that are holding him back. (Those you can also get tested and then work on.)

It's important to look for the reason behind the problem and not just keep trying and trying. Just my two cents.

Barton has a free pretest you can do that will check some basic things with phonemic awareness. Might give you some interesting information.

Oh mercy, the Barton pretest is hidden on her website. It's a video, not something you print. Try the menus till you find it.

Yes, that's awesome that you're going to pursue some evals! You find a developmental optometrist through COVD. You want a neuropsychologist for the rest of the testing. Make sure you get recs from someone or know he's homeschooling friendly or find him well-recommended. There are some real money-wasters out there. Ours was a gem, but it took me a year to find him. He was on the board of a dyslexia association in our state and when I talked with him on the phone he had a congenial disposition. Sometimes neuropsychs at hospitals are good and sometimes they turn out badly. Just take your time till you feel confident you've got a good one. You want to see a wait btw. If they can get you in too quickly, that's a bad sign. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

With my remedial students I use Spalding.

With the dyslexics I concentrate on the handwriting and spelling. The new 6th edition handwriting instructions are AWESOME :-)

With the the ESL students I concentrate on the McCall books.

I also have both groups read books and listen to matching audio files at the same time. Currclick sells many Blackstone titles for $6.30, as instant downloads.

Edited by Hunter

I have a rising 5th grader who doesn't read at grade level either. He's dyslexic, but working very hard to read. He does read aloud to me for about 10 minutes a day from the Pirate School Series, and reads 20 minutes a day on his own from a chapter book. He's currently reading Castle in the Attic and is really enjoying it. It's taking him FOREVER to read it, but that's okay. He has to tell me about what he read after the 20 minutes are up so I know that he actually read and didn't just sit there and stare at the pages.

I looked at CHOL and while I appreciate the thoroughness of the program and the amount of time it must have taken to put together, it's Biblical and we are secular schoolers, so I won't be using it. :(

I agree with others on letting him read books that he is interested in, grade level or not. Indy adores Lego/Harry Potter/Star Wars/Indiana Jones, so we bought some of the Lego books and character dictionaries for each series and it really sparked his interest. He wanted to know what they said and made an effort to start reading. This was a HUGE step forward. Maybe you can find something that he really likes and buy some very basic books on that.

Good luck. I know how hard and frustrating it is. :grouphug:

I would not drop reading aloud entirely IMHO at all. I think there is value in reading aloud frequently, if not daily, for a short period of time. I have heard many older kids who cannot read aloud fluently and with appropriate emotion at all:( Also, by reading aloud, you can have an opportunity to assess his pronunciation as well.Why not take turns reading aloud by alternating paragraphs with your child and use McGuffey Readers from 1879.

I would also continue to phonics if necessary. IMO phonics should be done till about 4th or 5th grade and can double as spelling work.

This site has great info for phonics and reading as well as free lessons online:

http://thephonicspage.org/