Menu

I Pad or Nook....which would you buy and why?

I have both, and I would definitely say iPad. I resisted when my dh wanted to buy me an iPad, now it is practically an extension of my arm! There are SO many more apps for the iPad. My nook is used now only for reading, because the iPad is just way better for everything else.

I would definately get an ipad. Refurbished from the apple store is your best option. They come with the same warranty as a new device. If you don't care about a camera you can get the first generation for $299.

I've been sold on the ipad since we bought one in October but my mom was sure she didn't want or need one. She had a regular kindle for reading and asked for a Fire for Christmas. We talked her out of it and chipped in to get her a refurbished ipad2 instead. She loves it. She insisted at the time that she still needed her kindle for reading. She finally called and confessed yesterday that she hasn't picked up her kindle since we gave her the ipad. She said reading on the ipad is just fine, "I was wrong". Mom never admits she's wrong so this is a big deal.:lol:

I think if you're planning to use it for school, you want the iPad-more apps, bigger screen size so that if you use .PDFs you can easily mark on them on screen, and so on. If you want something to carry in your purse so you always have a book with you, a nook or kindle is a good choice, unless you carry around a BIG shoulder bag!

OK, thanks y'all. This past weekend I saw my sister's Ipad and bil Nook. They are pretty much the same thing though. The Ipad has a bit more, but from what I understand the Nook is an ereader and also has apps, such as: MS word, excel, skype, email.

I still don't understand what an Ipad has that a Nook does not.

HELP with this please. :001_smile:

I still don't understand what an Ipad has that a Nook does not.

HELP with this please. :001_smile:

iPads are more powerful... and have a somewhat better display (rumour has it that the soon-to-be-released iPad 3 will have a *much* better display). iPads bring you in to the Apple ecosystem of apps, iTunes, etc. Nook is Android, but unless you sideload the market app, you only have access to Apps approved by B&N (which is still a considerable number). If you have the money, I'd get an iPad 3 or a more robust Android tablet. If you are more interested in books than apps, I'd recommend getting the Nook Tablet 16 GB because it has twice the RAM of the 8 GB, 1GB as opposed to 512 MB. The Kindle Fire has 512 MB.

iPads are more powerful... and have a somewhat better display (rumour has it that the soon-to-be-released iPad 3 will have a *much* better display). iPads bring you in to the Apple ecosystem of apps, iTunes, etc. Nook is Android, but unless you sideload the market app, you only have access to Apps approved by B&N (which is still a considerable number). If you have the money, I'd get an iPad 3 or a more robust Android tablet. If you are more interested in books than apps, I'd recommend getting the Nook Tablet 16 GB because it has twice the RAM of the 8 GB, 1GB as opposed to 512 MB. The Kindle Fire has 512 MB.

Thanks, Nmoira! As always you make sense. I would use it for reading/sharing books, magazine articles, etc. However, I'd like the "option" to use skype, email, ms word, photo, tv, movies, gps and etc.

It seemed like my bil's Nook did everything his wife/my sister's Ipad could do.

How do I determine what each one has?

Thanks, Nmoira! As always you make sense. I would use it for reading/sharing books, magazine articles, etc. However, I'd like the "option" to use skype, email, ms word, photo, tv, movies, gps and etc.

It seemed like my bil's Nook did everything his wife/my sister's Ipad could do.

How do I determine what each one has?

The Wifi-only iPad doesn't have a GPS. I don't know about the Nook Tablet. Otherwise, they'll both do everything except MS Word. You'll be able to open word files in QuickOffice, Google Docs or another app, but there's no Word app per se in either ecosystem.

I'll see if I can find a good comparison site later, when I get more time. :)

I have a Nook Color and I wish I had bought an Ipad instead. I've had a few issues with the Nook- I even took it back to the store and got a new one. Not as many issues, but still some. It freezes up on a fairly regular basis.

The biggest reason I'd get an Ipad over a nook is that you can get the nook app on the Ipad and use it for Nook books. And then you can get the Kindle app and use it for Kindle books. It irritates me that I can't lend/borrow books from people who have Kindles.

It seems a little ridiculous to me for me to go buy an Ipad since I already have the Nook......but I probably will anyway in the not too distant future.

I run Pages and Numbers (Mac version of Word and Excel) on my Ipad. I can save them and then open them in Word if I want...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my I pad. I have a 1st generation and it has been trouble free. I LOVE the size- since my eyesight is not great...

I would get an Ipad over a Nook any day.

We are pretty technologically behind the times, but we do happen to have both. I guess I just feel I need to qualify my remarks because I don't know half of what either machine does. I love my iPad, but it's a larger screen and heavier. It's a lot more powerful and does more than the Nook. We have the bottom of the line Nook, but it's great. It slips right into my purse, it's light weight, I take it to church, I love it for what it is.