Menu

Sonlight core D/3?

simka2

Sorry, for all the sonlight questions! :tongue_smilie: Just trying to get my feet underneath me.

I realize I said Core D, but I am actually looking at Core D+E.

Has anyone used this core? Is this one of the ones with the new LA and Bible component included? if so do you know if there has been a substantial price increase?

Can anyone talk to me about this core? I am thinking of using this with an 11 and two 10 yr olds. I am SL illiterate and am having a difficult time understanding how this works.

Alright, back to the sonlight website! :D

Edited by simka2

• 2 weeks later...

Sonlight has videos on their website explaining the changes. They will add a video about the IG on March 14th, LA on March 21 and Bible on March 28. You won't be able to know the price until April 2 when it becomes available for purchase.

I would buy it as a package. Trying to piece together that many books is not fun. They have an interest free payment plan, too.

I picked up the Core D (technically 3, as it's older) IG used. This core is very stable, and the only difference in book lists between 2005 and now is the poetry book (obviously, the 2012 changes are supposed to be quite different... by "now", I mean the 2011 core).

My library has a bunch of the books, sometimes as many as 23 copies! I shouldn't have any trouble getting those when I need them. I've purchased a few books used off Amazon (they're in like new condition and were about half price of new). When I get done purchasing, I'll have spent about $100 total, including the IG, unless my friend finds more SL books at the thrift store (she found a couple already, and is lending me a couple books she owns).

Now the one change I would look forward to with the 2012 version is the notes being with the schedule. The way it was laid out in 2005 seemed a bit... schizophrenic.

Sorry, for all the sonlight questions! :tongue_smilie: Just trying to get my feet underneath me.

Has anyone used this core? Is this one of the ones with the new LA and Bible component included? if so do you know if there has been a substantial price increase?

Can anyone talk to me about this core? I am thinking of using this with an 11 and two 10 yr olds. I am SL illiterate and am having a difficult time understanding how this works.

You will be able to find out how much the price increase is when the online catalog comes out, and the lady on SL forums says this will be "hopefully" within a week and a half.

LA will be included in the Core D and above IN the core guide, not separate. If the price of the IG isn't too much of an increase, I will continue with it and just use my own LA (skipping SL's LA). Bible was always in the IG, but not in a core PACKAGE; all the books for Bible are included when you buy a core (not just an IG).

I personally piecemeal our SL together, using primarily Paperback Swap and used books. I purchase new stuff from SL that I can't get elsewhere. Also, I purchase from SL instead of Amazon if prices are the same.

Core D+E is extremely packed. Core D is recommended for 3rd, 4th, and 5th, most people liking it for 4th and 5th. Will your 11yo be in 6th? I might go with D+E if that is so. Just remember it is different than other SL cores because it is so packed and moves very quickly through American history. Another option would be to start with D and move a little faster than normal and get to E faster.

I will be doing Core D in the fall with my kids who will be 10 & 8. Even with an 11 year old, I would lean toward doing the separate Core D, then Core E, UNLESS they have already studied a significant amount of American history, OR you live outside the U.S. and don't want to focus on American history for 2 full years. We have used SL for Cores P4/5 through C, and I generally tend to stay away from the condensed cores because they move so fast.

If you don't plan to use SL's LA, I would go ahead and purchase your IG now. If you do plan to use SL's LA, you may want to wait until they release the new packages. Purchasing the entire Core package will get you a discount on the price of books, plus a 10% discount and free shipping from SL for an entire year; however, you can find most of the books used for substantially less. I bought the entire Core used, but it took several months of piecemealing to find everything. Many of the books are classics that you should be able to find in the library, so that may be an option if your budget is limited.

SL has said that they are changing some of the book selections this year, so if it's important to you to have the "newest" selection of books, you might want to wait and purchase after they announce their changes.

The Readers that come with Core D have two options. The Advanced Readers include all of the Regular Readers plus some extras. The Readers do contain parts of history that aren't covered elsewhere in the Core.

I've done D and E separately--LOVE these cores! If you have a source for used books or a good library, you could maybe just get the IG. Otherwise it's easiest to get a core. If you order before April 1, you won't get the Bible and LA automatically (I wish they weren't adding these in!). If you order after, then you'd have to piece-meal unless you want those, and that will be more expensive (generally there is a discount for buying a while core). If you're doing that, then shop around and compare prices, taking into account shipping and so on.

Merry :-)