Menu

HELP: Chapter books suggestions for reluctant 7yo boy

babygemma

My 7yo ds is not really interested in reading chapter books unlike his older brother claiming the chapters are either too long, pages have too many words, or not interested in the subject at all, or whatever. But he's really into comic books, Diary of Whimpy Kids, and Captain Underpants and thinks they're amusing. He always choose graphic novels over traditional chapter books. We tried Flat Stanley (he likes those fine) and would like to move him beyond Magic Tree series. He's mildly interested in Geronimo Stilton series but not interested in Encyclopedia Brown.

Any suggestions? I really would like him to read more to increase fluency. He likes to be read to, but is not too responsive to that either unless it's something he's interested in.

Thanks in advance.

My son enjoys the Animal Ark books; he's turning 7 in a month. I never see them mentioned here, so I assume they're considered low on the totem pole of good books. ;) Definitely for kids that like animals.

My son (reluctanct reader) finally took off reading with Calvin and Hobbes. :001_huh: But, the first chapter books he got into were the Bruno and Boots series by Gordan Korman, he's also now enjoying the Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys by Julie Gardner. The 39 Clues series and the Charlie Bone seres were also big hits (although he did those on audio).

HTH

Here's just a few chapter books my son has enjoyed:

The Secrets of Droon

Black Beauty

Hank the Cowdog

Neverland series by Dave Barry (there's also another series which are thicker chapter books, Peter and the

star catchers)

Percy Jackson

Ramona and Fudge Series from Beverly Cleary

Ronald Dahl (Matilda was a particular favorite)

The Chocolate Touch

Castle in the Attic

The Buddy Files books -- if he likes dogs.

Why are you trying to get past the Magic Tree House? You don't like it, or he does not, or he has already mastered the highest reading level they go to?

It isn't clear from what you wrote what his reading or interest level is. Magic Tree House goes up to 4.__ R.L. in some Merlin missions and fact trackers. Is he past that level?

Edited by Pen

How about keeping with his interest in comics: the "You Wouldn't want to be a ________" series which is like comic books, or the Basher books, or even Larry Gonick cartoon books on various topics such as science or history--all these go to higher vocabulary and higher interest level topics.

How about How to Eat Fried Worms which has many very short chapters and is funny. Or Mr. Popper's Penguins.

My 7yo ds is not really interested in reading chapter books unlike his older brother claiming the chapters are either too long, pages have too many words, or not interested in the subject at all, or whatever. But he's really into comic books, Diary of Whimpy Kids, and Captain Underpants and thinks they're amusing. He always choose graphic novels over traditional chapter books. We tried Flat Stanley (he likes those fine) and would like to move him beyond Magic Tree series. He's mildly interested in Geronimo Stilton series but not interested in Encyclopedia Brown.

Any suggestions? I really would like him to read more to increase fluency. He likes to be read to, but is not too responsive to that either unless it's something he's interested in.

Thanks in advance.

He does not need chapter books to increase fluency, or even reading level. A lot of picture books are at a 4th-5th grade level, some higher. He just needs to read whatever interests him. My son read 4 magic tree house books and then found them boring. He went back to all the picture books we have and some Dr Seuss, then one day he picked up Harry Potter on hos own. I only require time, 15 minutes minimum per day before he ges computer or Wii time. Don't stress about what, just that he is reading. Life got easier when I stopped pushing.

I agree with Chepyl. Your son is reading. That's the important thing. It seems like he likes to read. Good. The next step will come.

My son was almost 8 before he read a chapter book. Some of his friends were reading the Warrior series and one claimed that he read one of the books in one day. My son was determined to do the same thing--and he did! Some of those books are long--over 400 pages. And he has been reading chapter books ever since. Some boys just take longer than others. (BTW The Warriors series is one that I would have never picked out for him. Yet he has read about 20 in that series. Go figure.)

In fact, my daughter (7 1/2 y.o.) who loves to read and is very capable of reading is still reluctant to read most chapter books by herself. She devours the picture books, she can read very well to me, but she still prefers to stay with the picture books. She sometimes reads up to 10 a day. I'm not worried and I do not push her. She has plenty of chapter books available to her on subjects that she likes. She's just not ready to do it. But she will and a whole new world will be opened up to her.

My 8 yr old, was really disinterested in reading for pleasure until just a few months ago. Something sparked her interest (fairies) and I now frequently find her sitting around with a book for fun.

I couldn't be happier! And yes, she may be reading insipid "twaddle", but there is nobody in the world that could convince me that I ought to take it away. For the first time ever, she *wants* to read something.

So... just hang in there! Find what he's interested in and keep offering books. He may surprise you.

We are at the same stage over here. Ds loves to read comics, manga, books with cartoons scattered through (diary of a wimpy kid), etc. But he doesn't pick up a chapter book to read on his own. His reading level is high, so it isn't that. He does have a bit of trouble keeping his place in large amounts of text, so that is part of it. Also, he doesn't like books that are too "serious".

One book he did read a bit in his free time was "Frindle". I think he has read a couple Judy Moody / Stink as well. He really doesn't like the Magic Treehouse books.

I wish there were more "page turners" at this age - books with so many interesting mysteries/questions that kids would be motivated to keep reading to find out the answers. I think if I could get ds hooked on a book like that, he would continue reading to find out what happens next.

I'm reading "The Strange Case of Origami Yoda" to the kids and hoping ds will pick it up on his own at some point. He started to read it a few days ago and declared it didn't have enough pictures. I'm hoping once we get more into it he will go for it anyway! :)

I agree with just letting him read. It doesn't matter what at age 7. Just let him read, read, read. Graphic novels, cereal boxes, picture books, whatever keeps him reading (as long as the content is appropriate, of course). Take him to the library or bookstore and pick out his own. He'll build confidence and fluency without hating reading.

My ds8 loves to read Geronimo Stilton (true twaddle, but I let him choose sometimes . . . :) ).

But also couldn't stop reading A Series of Unfortunate Events. It was the first fiction book that I had to actually tell him to put down. I like it too, though, so I was reluctant to do that!