Menu

Pedicure, feet that are as soft as a baby's behind. :-)

About ten years ago my sil gave all the ladies in our family a gift certificate at Elizabeth Arden's Red Door Salon for a pedicure. It was an awesome experience and my feet came out as soft as, well, you know.:D

A few years later when I started putting holes in my socks with my rough skin, I desired to have another pedicure but the prices were out of my reach ($80!!!). My dh took me to a local mom and pop kind of spa to get a pedicure for my birthday (I think it was the year I turned 50). It was thoughtful of him, but the pedicure was a huge disappointment. My feet came out feeling not much smoother than when I went in.

Do any of you ladies have any idea what they might have used at the Red Door salon to achieve such softness? I've tried "Pretty Feet" and a sugar scrub but neither really did anything. I use a sloughing tool after I shower - like a pumice stone only more like sandpaper. That helps a little but it's a lot of work and I don't remember it being that much work at the salon - didn't take much time either. I'm sure it's an industry secret, but was hoping someone here might know what they use to achieve such amazingly soft and smooth results.

I have to use a tool that's basically a razor blade in a holder to scrape off my heels, and even then it's a battle. I've only been to one salon that used that, but had the same soft-as-a result. Other salons, I end up with the same roughness problems. I picked my razor blade tool up in the cosmetics section of Wal-Mart. HTH

If you go to a beauty supply store, they have callus remover gel that you apply and then let sit for a minute or two. It softens all the rough stuff, and then you can scrub it off. Which reminds me....off to scrub my feet. :001_smile:

ETA: Callus remover gel is actually an acid, so you don't want to get it on fabrics or surfaces you care about, and I usually wear gloves because I don't like what it does if I get it on my hands.

If you go to a beauty supply store, they have callus remover gel that you apply and then let sit for a minute or two. It softens all the rough stuff, and then you can scrub it off. Which reminds me....off to scrub my feet. :001_smile:

ETA: Callus remover gel is actually an acid, so you don't want to get it on fabrics or surfaces you care about, and I usually wear gloves because I don't like what it does if I get it on my hands.

Thanks, Julie!:) That's probably it. I have a Sally Beauty Supply in town so will see if they have it.

Soak, soak, soak your feet in Epsom salts before you exfoliate. It will soften up the dead skin and make it much easier to remove. Try different things to take it off, but soak in the epsom salts first. You have to soak and exfoliate every week for a while, but might be able to increase the time. But, you do have to do a quick exfoliate every time you shower. Make sure you put shampoo or liquid soap on the pumice while you are using it. It should glide over the skin with a lubricant.

And, I hate to say it...but, your feet were younger when you had that first pedicure. Keeping feet healthy as we get older takes work. My parents are both nurses and they both worked in the geriatric field for a spell. They are all about the regular pedicures as people get older. My mom's husband had a job where he gave 'pedicures' to all the residents in the home. It wasn't really a fancy pedicure, but it was a soak, exfoliate and safe trim of nails etc. It sounds like a luxury, but it was all about health.

As we get older our feet get much drier and we have less circulation to our extremities. It gets harder and harder to stay on top of it. We can get small cracks from dry skin that can get infected. By getting a regular pedicure or taking really, really good care of our feet we can stay healthier.

My mom does get a pedicure about once a month, but sometimes she and her husband give them to each other. My step dad would rather die than get a pedicure in a shop, so my mom does it for him.

80$ is a LOT for a pedicure. I don't think I have ever paid more than 25. But, I know that prices vary a whole lot depending on where you live. If you visit a bigger city, it can be worthwhile to check out prices and see if you can get one.

Soak, soak, soak your feet in Epsom salts before you exfoliate. It will soften up the dead skin and make it much easier to remove. Try different things to take it off, but soak in the epsom salts first. You have to soak and exfoliate every week for a while, but might be able to increase the time. But, you do have to do a quick exfoliate every time you shower. Make sure you put shampoo or liquid soap on the pumice while you are using it. It should glide over the skin with a lubricant.

And, I hate to say it...but, your feet were younger when you had that first pedicure. Keeping feet healthy as we get older takes work. My parents are both nurses and they both worked in the geriatric field for a spell. They are all about the regular pedicures as people get older. My mom's husband had a job where he gave 'pedicures' to all the residents in the home. It wasn't really a fancy pedicure, but it was a soak, exfoliate and safe trim of nails etc. It sounds like a luxury, but it was all about health.

As we get older our feet get much drier and we have less circulation to our extremities. It gets harder and harder to stay on top of it. We can get small cracks from dry skin that can get infected. By getting a regular pedicure or taking really, really good care of our feet we can stay healthier.

My mom does get a pedicure about once a month, but sometimes she and her husband give them to each other. My step dad would rather die than get a pedicure in a shop, so my mom does it for him.

80$ is a LOT for a pedicure. I don't think I have ever paid more than 25. But, I know that prices vary a whole lot depending on where you live. If you visit a bigger city, it can be worthwhile to check out prices and see if you can get one.

Wow, I never thought about the aging process having anything to do with my feet but now that you mention it that makes sense. I didn't realize it was a health issue either - thanks for bringing that to my attention. Also, that makes me feel less guilty about spending any money on it. Oh, and I'm breaking out those Epsom salts, too.:)

Wow, I never thought about the aging process having anything to do with my feet but now that you mention it that makes sense. I didn't realize it was a health issue either - thanks for bringing that to my attention. Also, that makes me feel less guilty about spending any money on it. Oh, and I'm breaking out those Epsom salts, too.:)

My mom would say: "Old people don't move and walk because their feet hurt. If you can't walk then you stop exercising and your health deteriorates. You do exercise don't you sweetheart? You getting in your 45 minutes of walking every day? Are you lifting your weights three times a week? You got to keep your feet healthy so you can exercise and keep your health. If you stop exercising, the next thing you know, you won't be able to take care of yourself, and nobody wants that."

So, that is my mom. :lol: And yes, she does teach a weight lifting class to seniors. And if you are not in it, she will hunt you down and make you join.

I have mine done for $18 (plus a tip) at one of the Vietnamese-owned shops next to my grocery store. They will ask if I want callouses removed specially, and then they use the acid gel someone mentioned above. They said (I think) that they are only supposed to use that twice a year, though. In between, they just beat the heck out of them with a pumice stone and a tool that looks like a big lemon zester. They come out super-smooth even without the acid treatment. Unlike a manicure which, for me, lasts a week if I am super careful, my feet and toes will look good for a month or more.

Don't worry about the condition of your feet going in. The ladies don't judge, and even if they do, they're gossiping about your feet in Vietnamese so that neither you nor the other customers can understand them.

Terri

I'm convinced that using the scraping tools activates the body to form even tougher calluses. Wearing socks and shoes, keeping lotion on and not going barefoot is the only thing that allowed my feet to heal naturally and slough off the dead skin on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

Back away from my callouses!!! I keep my toenails nicely painted, but a pedicure that made the balls of my feet soft would be awful. I dance barefoot and I firmly believe that it would become rather painful to move around that much on feet that had been shaved down to tender skin. You keep your cheese graters away from my tootsies!

A lady told me that if you get a parafin pedicure that it makes your feet smooth like a baby's bottom. I don't know how it works. I've had one parafin pedicure and it really does make your feet smooth.

Also my DH gave me these funny slippers that have like a gel inside (not liquid but more like a solid material. You wear them after a shower (with or without extra lotion - lotion makes them really weird slippery). And they do make your feet feel smooth after you take them off, but it doesn't last very long.

Just saw this on my pinterest board and thought of this thread. :D

46584177365522556_vKDrQ7e4_f.jpg

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode. :lol:

That's probably true!:lol::lol:

Back away from my callouses!!! I keep my toenails nicely painted, but a pedicure that made the balls of my feet soft would be awful. I dance barefoot and I firmly believe that it would become rather painful to move around that much on feet that had been shaved down to tender skin. You keep your cheese graters away from my tootsies!

I don't remember the technician scraping anything at all and afterwards my feet felt awesome, but they didn't feel sensitive - just soft and wonderful.

A lady told me that if you get a parafin pedicure that it makes your feet smooth like a baby's bottom. I don't know how it works. I've had one parafin pedicure and it really does make your feet smooth.

Also my DH gave me these funny slippers that have like a gel inside (not liquid but more like a solid material. You wear them after a shower (with or without extra lotion - lotion makes them really weird slippery). And they do make your feet feel smooth after you take them off, but it doesn't last very long.

I checked into those do-it-at-home parafin contraptions a little while after the softness had worn off but could never figure out where I would store it so just skipped it. Not sure I could handle slippery slippers.:D

I use a ped egg and shea butter on my feet. Also, when I put lotion on my legs, I put it on my feet, too. I used to not use lotion on my feet, because I lived in hot, humid places where lotion made my feet itch and seemed to promote athlete's foot. But where I live now, I can use lotion daily without itching, and that has made a huge difference even though I'm just using regular lotion instead of foot cream.

I have mine done for $18 (plus a tip) at one of the Vietnamese-owned shops next to my grocery store. They will ask if I want callouses removed specially, and then they use the acid gel someone mentioned above. They said (I think) that they are only supposed to use that twice a year, though. In between, they just beat the heck out of them with a pumice stone and a tool that looks like a big lemon zester. They come out super-smooth even without the acid treatment. Unlike a manicure which, for me, lasts a week if I am super careful, my feet and toes will look good for a month or more.

Don't worry about the condition of your feet going in. The ladies don't judge, and even if they do, they're gossiping about your feet in Vietnamese so that neither you nor the other customers can understand them.

Terri

:iagree:and $80 for a pedicure?! Shop around, you should be able to find a good place for $25 or less. Once you find a spot you like, go there regularly and they will treat you like gold! Oh, and a good pedicure shouldn't hurt, pinch, or make you say ow! Good luck, Kathleen!

lol about the Seinfeld episode. :lol:

I go every quarter for a facial and full body massage. I was asking my Esthetician what could be done with my feet (I'm in my mid-30's) and she said the best thing is just putting on lotion and socks at night. There are still a few rough spots & I'll try some that previous posters recommend but I've been amazed what socks and lotion does in a week.