Menu

s/o boardie acts of kindness

So I am wondering after reading all the lovely posts on the acts of kindness thread, who is feeling inspired to do more for board members?

I try to offer what I can to members here anyway, 98% of the time it is just a pm or something to encourage them. But after reading that thread I am so inspired to do more, or offer more encouragement or whatever to whomever needs it.

I am going to assume I am not the only one, so who else is feeling that way after reading the thread?

I agree. I was just thinking that I have some curriculum items that I need to get rid of and I think I will just give away. I am going to get together a list this afternoon.

That's the sort of stuff I was thinking about. Shipping costs make it hard for me to offer much but I could do it for boardies that are closer to home for me. I have only ever given a material item to a boardie once. I after hearing that they had never had a baby shower before I put together a package and called it a babyshower gift. It felt so good to do.

I want to do stuff like that more. I love to encourage others on the board or in pm's but would love to do more physically as well kwim.

Perhaps we could start a thread listing things we'd be willing to pass on for free, or just for the cost of shipping. I'd be happy to participate; I just cleaned out the school room yesterday, and have several things I'm sure someone here could use.

I think we'd have to put the thread on the Sell/Swap board, but maybe we could put a link to the thread here, so that more people will see it. I'd rather just put the thread on the General Board, since it gets so much more traffic, but I don't know what the mods would say about that.

What do you ladies think?

Perhaps we could start a thread listing things we'd be willing to pass on for free, or just for the cost of shipping. I'd be happy to participate; I just cleaned out the school room yesterday, and have several things I'm sure someone here could use.

I think we'd have to put the thread on the Sell/Swap board, but maybe we could put a link to the thread here, so that more people will see it. I'd rather just put the thread on the General Board, since it gets so much more traffic, but I don't know what the mods would say about that.

What do you ladies think?

That sounds like a great idea. It could be kind of like a WTM freecycle thread.

WOW I should have read this whole thread before I started my own "Pay it forward" thread! I didn't know you ladies already had something in the works. Great minds think alike, I guess! :D If mine is not okay for some reason, I'll be glad to copy and paste what I wrote onto another thread.

Edited by Element
added link

I think it's a great idea, but please be aware that it can also go horribly wrong. I was on another forum and we tried this, only to find out that the same several people were requesting almost every single free item... and reselling everything on eBay and Amazon. :glare: (A few of the people had even registered under a bunch of different usernames. It was very underhanded and many people were very hurt and upset about it.)

I think it might work better if we just keep an eye on the "items wanted" listings and offer our stuff to people who have already posted what they need.

Again, I love the concept, but I worry about possible abuse. I know we could simply only send things to people we "know" from the forums, but that would be kind of sad for new (and honest) members who might never get a single thing, and who really need what we're offering. If people have to post their requests, I think they'll be less likely to ask for things they don't truly need, or things they only want because they know they'll be able to resell them.

I think it's a great idea, but please be aware that it can also go horribly wrong. I was on another forum and we tried this, only to find out that the same several people were requesting almost every single free item... and reselling everything on eBay and Amazon. :glare: (A few of the people had even registered under a bunch of different usernames. It was very underhanded and many people were very hurt and upset about it.)

I think it might work better if we just keep an eye on the "items wanted" listings and offer our stuff to people who have already posted what they need.

Again, I love the concept, but I worry about possible abuse. I know we could simply only send things to people we "know" from the forums, but that would be kind of sad for new (and honest) members who might never get a single thing, and who really need what we're offering. If people have to post their requests, I think they'll be less likely to ask for things they don't truly need, or things they only want because they know they'll be able to resell them.

Gosh I did not even consider someone doing something that, I think your idea is a good one. It can be like people posting their wishlist and those that can meet that wish can chose to do so without risk of being burned.

That's exactly what I was thinking. That's why I thought a "Pay it Forward" thing would work nicely. Someone might say, "Hey, that was nice of Sara to send out x, and she is looking for y. I would like to help her out." I think if we post what we need and what we have to give it would be somewhat regulated. I don't know. I'm one of those "Everybody has a good heart somewhere inside of them!" people, so I'm probably not the best one to come up with any kind of rule or code for this. ;)

Edited by Element