Menu

TWTM anatomy recommendations

EMS83

In the 1999 edition of TWTM, she suggests doing 1 body system per week for 10 weeks in 1st grade. I couldn't find enough information on the 2 or 3 books she suggested (ie: a table of contents), and "officially" there appear to be more than 10 systems. My questions: Is how is this handled in those books and/or how have you handled it personally? Do I correctly remember her saying to skip over reproduction in 1st grade? DS will be in K and he'll be sitting in on our science and history readings. And do the book recommendations change in newer editions? (The 1999 list was "The Magic School Bus," "Everybody Has a Body," "You and Your Body," and "The Human Body").

I'm looking mainly for just a solid, basic overview of the body and its functions, and perhaps a crafty book. I can supplement at the library. I found a few suggestions from past threads already, but nothing has "clicked" yet.

Not looking at the book, just going off of memory. I bought the Usborne First Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Human Body for the guideline for that study based on the WTM recs. I also used Magic Schoolbus books and videos whenever I could match them up. We did a system a week using the encyclopedia and whatever library books I could find on the subjects. I wouldn't worry about hitting every official body system there is. Just give an overview. There is a spread about reproduction in the Usborne. We didn't do a whole week study of that spread, but dd did read it. There is always more to study. We never finished a thorough study of everything in one of the encyclopedias, but we thoroughly studied the topics that we did, yk?

Very general stuff. It says that babies come from inside the mother and grow there, etc. It does say that you need 2 people to make a baby and talks about the sp**m and the egg. It doesn't say how it gets there. And my dd never asked :) That is why we didn't do a study of it like the other chapters. But mine is a big reader, so I know she read that page. She seemed to focus more on the baby growing and being born. It just never occured to her to ask more. Mine might be odd ??

In these 1st Encyclopedias there are always like 29 page spreads. It would take a whole year to do one a week thoroughly. I just pick and choose 10 or 12 for the study. We might read 2 spreads one week, but really only focus on one of the topics for extra reading and projects. We might skip some altogether (like the reproduction one..)

Anyway, I really liked those encyclopedias for the 1st and 2nd grade science topics. All except the animal one. It wasn't as good IMO.

It is old and has "something to offend everyone" but my son loved Hemo the Magnificent. You can get it on Amazon. We saw it once a year in grade school, the whole school sitting crosslegged in the gym. My brother recalls it as "the only excitement in an otherwise very tedious gradeschool education." (The weather one is good, too.)

Do get that book (Teacher Created Resources ... someone help me with the name) where your child lies on butcher paper and you outline him/her. Then you paste in muscles and bones your child colored, and guts and lungs. Kiddo LOVED it, and many here have done it.

...ources ... someone help me with the name) where your child lies on butcher paper and you outline him/her. Then you paste in muscles and bones your child colored, and guts and lungs. Kiddo LOVED it, and many here have done it.

I think it's My Body. If you can, get two 'cause you'll need to use both sides of some pages or look ahead to scan and print what you need (not a lot of pages, but enough to slow me down when I wasn't expecting it!) Button loved it.

I can't remember the exact name but for a crafty book we used a book called something like "my body". We traced an outline of them on freezer paper and the copied and colored the organ systems. They showed everyone their "bodies". We combined it with a simple Janice van cleve book which had experiment demonstrating how things work, like the lungs. Both had easy descriptions of systems. The reproductive organs were there but we did not add them. Hope this helps.