Menu

Article in The Atlantic

All those "hs-ers betray the cause" threads and commentary rest on the rather specious argument at its core that we are actually wanted. I do not believe any ps wants me there. No school board election has ever had "bring back the hs-ers" as a platform. Schools do not try to retain families who decide to hs, or even try to identify those about to stray. All the arguments for the "field theory of education" (a.k.a learning-through-osmosis) made me feel there must be lavender-hued waves of deep melancholia -- mass pining away for something that was never there.

I do not believe it. Not even for a minute. In order for the lame duck argument to float, they must assume that I would be supportive and frankly, non-combative (metaphorically speaking). Why would any club want a member who does not want to be a member? Knowing the way you are about your kids' education, do you think any queen bee teacher would want you around?

It's the same mentality they use to cancel G&T programs. The verbiage in our school was actually, "A rising tide lifts all ships," or, keeping the kids who are ahead bored silly somehow benefits everyone.

Note that latest public figures for our district show that in a district of well over 20,000 students, over 18% are now either private or homeschooled. There is only a 75% graduation rate, and the graduation rate for all special needs students is about 50%.

Edited by NittanyJen
Added more stats.