Menu

Grammar for younglings not reading fluently

Mandylubug

Ok, I have attempted to allow my girls to sit in with our MCT lessons but they were out right LEFT behind on day three, ha ha..... They are no where near ready and listen and call out absurdly wrong answers to questions. I fear the boys will hear the wrong answers and become confused...

I have considered getting them another grammar program but they are not reading fluently. They are reading ETC books, CVC words and beginning with blends.

Would FLL be the fit here?

Ok, I have attempted to allow my girls to sit in with our MCT lessons but they were out right LEFT behind on day three, ha ha..... They are no where near ready and listen and call out absurdly wrong answers to questions. I fear the boys will hear the wrong answers and become confused...

I have considered getting them another grammar program but they are not reading fluently. They are reading ETC books, CVC words and beginning with blends.

Would FLL be the fit here?

Why try a program with that with children not reading fluently?

Why try a program with that with children not reading fluently?

they are a bit behind in my opinion on reading but mature enough to name nouns and verbs. The will soon be 7. My main focus is phonics and reading instruction. However, I don't think grammar instruction is fully uncalled for in their scenario. They aren't however mature enough to discuss definite and indefinite articles with my older boys. I had tried to allow them to sit in with the boys lessons because "it couldn't hurt" if I was teaching it anyway.. but I think my opinion of them sitting in was incorrect.

With my two youngers, I use a 1st grade language arts textbook from the way back days (I think I got it at a used library sale). I read a section or two from it and we go over the lessons verbally. They are very easy. The book doesn't call nouns "nouns" yet but just says "this is the naming part of the sentence." I do go ahead and use the term "subject" and "predicate" to go along with the book's identification of naming and action parts of a sentence. We've only done a chapter or so and have covered those parts of the sentence and the types of sentences and what punctuation they need.

If you are reading along with your child for their reading practice, you can also point out basic grammar concepts as you go along. For instance, if we encounter a capital letter, I might pause to explain why the particular word is being capitalized.

With my two youngers, I use a 1st grade language arts textbook from the way back days (I think I got it at a used library sale). I read a section or two from it and we go over the lessons verbally. They are very easy. The book doesn't call nouns "nouns" yet but just says "this is the naming part of the sentence." I do go ahead and use the term "subject" and "predicate" to go along with the book's identification of naming and action parts of a sentence. We've only done a chapter or so and have covered those parts of the sentence and the types of sentences and what punctuation they need.

If you are reading along with your child for their reading practice, you can also point out basic grammar concepts as you go along. For instance, if we encounter a capital letter, I might pause to explain why the particular word is being capitalized.

thank you for the reminder to point out grammar in our everyday readings. THEY TRY TO READ EVERYTHING.. They ask me to read SO MUCH and they attempt to read ALL.DAY.LONG to the point I have to say I can't read another letter some evenings ha ha.. But I haven't been pointing out grammar concepts in those readings.

You can do FLL1, but I don't think you need to do grammar with them now. If you wait until they are reading, they won't be â€behind†in grammar. Nouns and verbs are taught again and again. You can easily jump in at grade level in 2nd or 3rd grade, no problem.

Now if they are gung ho about grammar, FLL1 would be a great choice, as it is very gentle and includes narration, picture study, poetry memorization, learning basics like address, etc.

I would focus on reading. Until they are reading well, the most I would do with grammar is Schoolhouse Rock and pointing out the basics in the stuff they read. You need them to be fluent in reading for a lot of the grammar stuff to make any sense IMO.

I agree, I wouldn't even worry about grammar for them at this point. It will be a lot less frustrating. The only exception is that I cement how they speak at that stage. If you read aloud, and they can speak correctly, then grammar will be second nature once they are reading well.

With my young Kindergartener I am using Spectrum's Language Arts K workbook. My main focus this year is really just getting him fluent in reading, but like your daughters he really wanted to learn about grammar. (I guess he sees his big sister doing it and thinks he should be able to as well?) Because he isn't yet a fluent reader a lot of the grammar programs were out for us, and I just didn't really want to focus too much on it. The Spectum workbook has been perfect for us. It introduces common/proper nouns, verbs, and pronouns in a really basic and fun way.

I started FLL with my DD before she was reading fluently. I went very well. DD is an auditory learner so it was perfect for her. She very easily memorized the definitions and poems. FLL is VERY gentle.

:iagree: My younger daughter is not fluent yet, but she is making slow, steady progress. She is doing FLL 1 and loves doing the memorization and does very well picking out nouns and verbs from sentences. In fact, her reading improved after starting FLL because she had an area of language arts she was doing well in, and that success boosted her confidence enough to encourage her in reading. Younger DD is also an auditory learner as well.

FLL 1 and FLL 2 would work. I did that when my kids were younger. As soon as they are able to read on their own/write sentences...then I switch them over to growing with grammar...http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/1gwgProduct_Page.html

Someone told me about GwG and I didn't think we'd like it...but we have been so grateful to have it. The kids work independently (for the most part) in their grammar books because it has a short lesson that teaches to the child and then they apply it in the questions following.

My daughter is 4 and she has no problem with FLL 1. She really enjoys the poem memorization and narration so we take it slow and focus on the parts she enjoys. I recently started adding in Brian P Cleary books and they've been a huge hit. I just line them up with FLL and they make a great reinforcement. We've also enjoyed Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day and Punctuation Takes a Vacation. She definitely is not at a point where she can identify parts of a sentence, but she really enjoys reading the books and the learning style of FLL.