Menu

Kitchen Faucet questions!!! Help?

OK, we just purchased a new sink and are looking for a new faucet. I am paralyzed!! Do I want a faucet like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040YXMYS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or would I be happy with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-4353-SS-DST-Pull-Out-Kitchen-Stainless/dp/B003H4B9CY/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1329619379&sr=1-3

I haven't bought a new faucet in over 20 yrs and they have changed SO MUCH. I am totally paralyzed by the choices. The tall one that has the pull down magnetized sprayer seems nice, but do I NEED something that tall? What are the pros and cons of that? The other seems nice as well, but I'm worried about the pull out sprayer mechanism and how easy/hard they are to get back into place. Anyone with experience want to lend me a hand with some much needed been there/done that advice? I have to make a purchase really, really soon.

I was thrilled when dh brought home one similar to your first one. As soon as I used it, I hated it. I hated it, I hated it, I hated it. He liked the way it looked. I had to consciously think about how to turn on and off the water every.single.time. It's a handle unlike any other one you've probably used, and it will be the only one that doesn't work like everything else you do without giving it a second thought. Oh, and let me say that I hated it.

I also was not thrilled that, every time I turned the faucet off, I had to re-wipe the counter underneath it, because water would drop from my hand onto the counter.

(Gee, do I sound bitter?:tongue_smilie:)

It was a happy, happy day when the retractor broke. Oh, and it was a $$$ Moen, which ticked me off just a bit more (if you think that's possible).

I insisted that the replacement be something a bit more standard. My head finally stopped spinning around, and life became good once again, for everyone in my family because Mom was happy.

So I'd choose the second one you linked, but you'd have guessed that by now.

Oh, I like the first one. I like the simplicity of it--one unit coming right up out of the sink instead of that whole base thing going on. :) The one I have is similar to the second one. It's ok, but if my budget had been larger, I'd have gotten one like the first one.

I love the way the first one looks and the high arc would be great for larger pots of your sink is shallow. I have no experience using that type, but it is beautiful.

Mine is similar to the second one. It's a Moen and I know I didn't pay more than $80 for it 10 years ago. It's been great. NEVER a problem. (The hose has only ever gotten stuck if I shove something into it under the sink that blocks it.) I've had no leaks a d no complaints.

I'm in a temp apartment right now and the kitchen has a plain faucet with no sprayer. I'm coping with Dark Age technology here and it's torturous. So, just know that you won't be able to happily go back to plain faucets after this.

Thanks for all your help!

I know many of you say to get the taller one (except ThisIsTheDay...you had me LOLing...so funny), and I like the looks of it too, but even though it sits 14" above the sink at it's highest, the aerator (actual faucet head) is only 8" from the sink....which is the same distance from the sink as faucet #2. So for filling pans, etc., there is really no difference that I can see in that respect. The main difference is looks, and how the pull out sprayer works. I think #1 wins in the looks category, but I actually like the looks of both.

I have to agree with ThiIsTheDay in regards to the handle on #1. As I was playing with it at the store, I too wondered if I could get use to how the handle turns on and off. It seems somewhat...well...different, but I can't decide if it's different in a "wow, great design this is so much easier" way, or a bad "wow, goofy design, I hate it way"

My DH is now wondering if faucet #1 will even fit...and that one is his preference...due to how close our sink is to the back-splash and how low our window sill is over said back-splash. He's not sure the handle on #1 will have the required room it needs...that it may hit the window sill...but he also thinks he can make it work if it's what I want. I'm wondering how #1 will look in front of the window with it being so tall.

Arg. I think we'll be going to Home Depot and Lowes again today to stare at faucets. :tongue_smilie:

Is there anyone who has one like #2 and hates it?? I have not heard anything bad about that one yet.

Get the taller one. You will be glad you did. I have a tall gooseneck and I can't imagine how I'd live without it.

However, I wouldn't like to have the sprayer on the end like that. Are these your only options?

No, they actually have many beautiful tall faucets without the sprayer, but I really need the sprayer. I have a store bought one attached to the end of the aerator on my current very old, very ugly faucet and I could NOT live without it. I use the sprayer all the time for rinsing dishes, etc. I would not like one of the separate sprayers that are attached to the sink. I want it attached to the faucet head. So, no it's not my only option, it's just my preference. ;)

You are holding a pan with both hands filling it up, so convenient to use a finger and turn off the water without having to lift the pan or remove a hand...same thing for ronsing veggies..I just use the back of my hand to turn it off...with mine it turns on by going to the left and turns off by pushing it in....for hot you just pull down on the lever, the faucet never gets in the way and my faucet swivels so the entire sink is cleared...

I just did a kitchen remodel and I have one similar to #1. It is the kind you pull down to wash out the sink or spray around, right? I love it. It is true that the knob operates like no other, but we had no issue at all adjusting to it all, and i love the si,plicity of its use.

I also like that it is tall so that, coupled with the large sink, allow large items to easily be washed.

I'll be different and vote for the second one. Actually I think it was the second one that we wanted to get but it wasn't available yet when we had to have one. We didn't want one that came up too high from the counter because of it being on a bar vs. against a wall. Since the faucet itself isn't any higher on the gooseneck one, I don't see the point of getting it unless you just really like the looks of it. Also, if you don't like the escutcheon, the metal piece across the bottom, it is optional to use it as you can see in the one picture. I'm sure either one will look good!

We remodeled a couple of years ago, and my first impulse was to go with a goose neck like the first. In fact, that was almost that the store carried. We were living in a rental short-term and I was so glad that it had one in it, because I realized I hated it. I was concerned about the sprayer pullout not retracting properly, but that wasn't the problem. I found that it always seemd that my hands were going under the water flow. I found it very awkward. I thought I would like it to fill pots, but it just never seemed to be in the right place.

I would actually go with the 1st one, if I had it to do over again!! lol

We replaced ours a few years ago with something similar to number 2 & it has been "ok". I was at my best friend's house last year, though, and got to play with hers (which is like #1) and now I just can't be happy with mine!! :D We have weird sized sinks, and using the #2 is awkward for certain situations. I wish I had one where we could easily get all large things under it with the arcing up! :)

We remodeled our kitchen last year and put in a tall one similiar to #1 that I love. It is a Moen and is obviously a high quality product. My sister did her kitchen at the same time and put in a $200 Delta from Lowes. The sprayer didn't go in properly after a few months. My is an $800 Moen that I got off ebay for $200. It still looks brand spanking new and works perfectly. I definitely recommend looking on ebay to get a high quality facet if at all possible. You use your facet more than anything else in the kitchen.

As for the handle situation, my husband hated the up/down action of a side handle like #1. He wanted one like #2. However, I wanted the a high goose neck. We compromised and have a high goose neck, but the handle is a seperate piece that works in the traditional way by going left to right. It is similiar to this one. Anyway, I love the look, and my husband loves that using it feels familiar.

OK, we just spent the last 3 1/2 hours staring at faucets at Home Depot and Lowes. Arg! Haha We compared the two I linked, and even though #2 states that it sits 8" above the sink, it doesn't, at all. The tall gooseneck aerator sits much higher off the sink. We ended up liking a different tall one though that had a sleeker yet fancier design, and Home Depot price matched the Amazon price out the door...pretty cool! I didn't know they would even do that...so we walked away with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Delta-19950-SSSD-DST-Pull-Down-Dispenser-Brilliance/dp/B0032LO1C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329698381&sr=8-1 It's a Delta with the magnetic spray head like the 1st one I linked/liked, just a different model. DH measured it and all is fine with our backsplash distances.

I played and played and played with the handles and even though the goosneck one isn't as intuitive as most, I personally 'get it' so I think that's not going to be a problem. I hope.

The #2 one wasn't as nice in person as I had hoped. I didn't like the way the sprayer connected, and I didn't like that it sit so low on the sink...almost as low as the ancient, gad-awful one I have now...and the price difference wasn't big enough to sway me. So, we are now the proud owner of one of them crazy tall new-fangled faucets. I hope, hope, hope I like it. It seems enormous compared to what I have now, so it might take some getting used too. My dh is planning to install my nice new deep sink and enormous faucet tomorrow. Yippee! :D

Thank you all so much for your responses!! It was very helpful, and gave me a lot to think about in regards to pros and cons.