Menu

Living books about castles, kings, knights, etc

kristinannie

After looking carefully over my KONOS curricula, I tend to agree with those who suggest waiting to use these until my kids are older. That said, we are going to Myrtle Beach and plan on going to Medieval Times and our family really needs to do the Obedience Unit (mostly for my sanity). I am going to save the portion on horses until a later date because there is too much great stuff in there for when they are bigger. I am going to talk about Light, Kings and Queens and Law Enforcement. I am really excited about it even though I can't do it completely as written.

I would love some suggestions on the Medieval time period, especially about castles, knights, royal courts, etc. I would also love some suggestions about stories that discuss the importance of Obedience. The KONOS unit offers lots of suggestions that I love. My kids will be 6 and 4.5. I would love a chapter book to read throughout the unit and then lots of picture book recommendations! Also, I would love to hear about DVD's I can borrow from Netflix. I am sure that lots of you have included littles when studying this time period so I am :bigear:.

My favorite for your ages is Castle Diary by Richard Platt. Both Cathedral and Castle by David Macaulay are also wonderful. Oh, and you need a good King Arthur too. I like the vintage Golden version.

ETA: And a good Robin Hood. You just reminded me to buy the Golden version I've had my eye on. :D

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

My favorite for your ages is Castle Diary by Richard Platt.

:iagree: But you MUST get the large-format illustrated version. Why they reprinted it as a drab mass-market paperback is beyond me.

I also really like Ms. Frizzle's Adventures: Medieval Castle.

:iagree: But you MUST get the large-format illustrated version. Why they reprinted it as a drab mass-market paperback is beyond me..[/i]

Aha! That must be why I had to twist ds' arm to finish this book. Why it was being recommended as a living book eluded me. A large format, colorful picture book would have done much to save it.

Ds enjoyed The Minstrel in the Tower.