Menu

When People Insist You Visit While Sick

What do you do?

We are supposed to visit my in-laws tomorrow. My children would also get a chance to see their cousins, which only happens about twice a year. However, those same cousins are going on a vacation right after we see them. And we are all sick. We called and told everyone we would have to cancel, but they are insisting we still come.

I have been wiping noses all week, including my own. All three kids have a cough. My youngest has a viral rash, I believe from his temperature spiking yesterday. I think everyone is past the worst of it, and traveling would only be uncomfortable for me. (I'm not too worried about my own discomfort.) We will still have running noses and coughing tomorrow.

So should we honor everyone's wishes, even though it's probably going to result in everyone else getting sick? Even though it's probably going to mean the family will spend the tail end of their vacation with a wicked cold? When we said we would be staying home, no one was saying to come anyways to be polite. Everyone really wants us there.

If you are truly unconcerned about your own discomfort, then I say go. Colds are the most contagious during the first 2days of symptoms,as I understand. You all might feel a lot better tomorrow morning, and the chances of passing it to family are probably low.

I agree. If you feel like you can ask the parents to be truly honest with you, and they want you to go, then I'd either go or send everyone else and stay home myself if I felt bad. Missing a visit when cousins see each other so seldom is a big deal.

Bring lots of tissues and hand sanitizers, wash hands extra often, and remind them not to hold hands.

Can you call the cousins' mother and confirm that she's completely comfortable with the risk of having a cold on her vacation? You want o make sure your MIL isn't speaking for her. If her kids are in school anyway, your attempt to limit exposure may seem futile to them. If they're genuinely unconcerned, and you guys are feeling up to it, I don't think anyone would benefit from you missing the visit.

Can you call the cousins' mother and confirm that she's completely comfortable with the risk of having a cold on her vacation? You want o make sure your MIL isn't speaking for her. If her kids are in school anyway, your attempt to limit exposure may seem futile to them. If they're genuinely unconcerned, and you guys are feeling up to it, I don't think anyone would benefit from you missing the visit.

Um, yeah, I would dfinitely be sure to speak DIRECTLY with the kids' mother. Not clear from your OP if you did that or just spoke to MIL?

I'd stay home. I'm a miserable sick person.

Ppl can insist all they like, but they can't force you to go.

If I can stop sneezing so hard that I wet my pants, I should be fine. My in-laws have a very comfortable couch that is perfect for being miserable on. I don't know how they'll feel about the cloth diapers I'm using for hankies at the moment though.

If they truly want you, go if you yourself feel fine enough.

After all, it's just a cold - not a life threatening illness. And there are many people who don't consider it a big deal (anybody who has kids in daycare is used to having colds throughout every winter non-stop)

I would not expect a relative to cancel a visit just because they have a cold, unless they are too miserable to travel.

Now if it was the genuine influenza, I'd be all for staying put.

What do you do?

We are supposed to visit my in-laws tomorrow. My children would also get a chance to see their cousins, which only happens about twice a year. However, those same cousins are going on a vacation right after we see them. And we are all sick. We called and told everyone we would have to cancel, but they are insisting we still come.

I have been wiping noses all week, including my own. All three kids have a cough. My youngest has a viral rash, I believe from his temperature spiking yesterday. I think everyone is past the worst of it, and traveling would only be uncomfortable for me. (I'm not too worried about my own discomfort.) We will still have running noses and coughing tomorrow.

So should we honor everyone's wishes, even though it's probably going to result in everyone else getting sick? Even though it's probably going to mean the family will spend the tail end of their vacation with a wicked cold? When we said we would be staying home, no one was saying to come anyways to be polite. Everyone really wants us there.

I would go. A cold is a cold and her kids could pick it up from being in Wal-Mart just as well as from your kids.