Menu

s/o coconut oil for the brain

What I've done:

With eggs I put a couple of tablespoons (or three) in there to fry them in. Now, I do six eggs worth of scrambled eggs. When I did four, this morning, I used a couple of TBS. I would try using a TBS and a half maybe. It really does soak up into the eggs, or appears to anyway.

For toast, I melt the CO first. I put some in a bowl and then set it down inside a bowl of hot water. Then I spoon some onto the bread and smooth it over the bread. I will then cover that with a layer of butter. The kids don't even know it's there.

Will he drink smoothies or shakes? I mix a TBS or less into mine, I don't even notice it in there. Now, I'm not a picky eater at all so take that FWIW. Maybe make him a nice choc shake with a 1/2 TBS of it? I don't try to get ours in all at once. It's a little here and there through the day, it's easier to sneak in small amounts.

Oh, I've also used it in DDs oatmeal. I make the oatmeal and then mix some in. It melts in the hot cereal.

I need more ideas on how to get Dh (who is recovering from brain surgery) and the kids to eat coconut oil. He doesn't care for coconut flavor, so I bought some of the cold-pressed kind, though we haven't tried it yet.
You can buy unflavored coconut oil. It is slightly more expensive (usually) but oh-so-worth-it...I do not like everything I eat to taste like coconut, even though I like the flavor (sometimes).

I bake most of our own bread and I always substitute c. oil for butter or other oil in everything. I use it instead of butter on my kids' sandwiches - just spread the oil & sprinkle with salt for flavoring...my kids don't even know the difference.

This is some good info on this page - scroll down for the Q&A (this is the place where I buy my oil). Also, this is another good page (same site): Confused on what coconut oil to buy?

Edited by Happy2BaMom

Just wanted to share a quick update on my mom!

We started giving her about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on Saturday. One tablespoon in the morning and one in her evening meal. My dad, who is always skeptical, and not very excitable, is notably EXCITED! She's had 2 nights of better sleep (not as much night wandering) and she asked him a question about something on TV. She has not been engaged with what's on TV for a year! She was actually able to follow the show and asked a question!! Her Lewy Body tremors (like Parkinson's) were decreased to the point that my dad was able to delay her Sinemet dose.

Folks, there is something to the coconut oil. We have seen nothing but decline for over a year. We will take whatever improvement we can get!

that is wonderful, I am so happy for your family!!

Just wanted to share a quick update on my mom!

We started giving her about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on Saturday. One tablespoon in the morning and one in her evening meal. My dad, who is always skeptical, and not very excitable, is notably EXCITED! She's had 2 nights of better sleep (not as much night wandering) and she asked him a question about something on TV. She has not been engaged with what's on TV for a year! She was actually able to follow the show and asked a question!! Her Lewy Body tremors (like Parkinson's) were decreased to the point that my dad was able to delay her Sinemet dose.

Folks, there is something to the coconut oil. We have seen nothing but decline for over a year. We will take whatever improvement we can get!

Wow! That is great. :001_smile: I hope your mom's improvements continue.

• 1 month later...
But I wondered if anyone had ideas about where and what to purchase for coconut oil? Thanks!

I got mine at a health food store, but I think Azure Standard has it. She got a 5 gallon bucket of it and split it with several families.:001_smile:

I've bought coconut oil from Mt. Rose, Tropical Traditions, Nutiva and Wilderness Family Naturals. I've liked all of them just fine and generally just shop for the lowest price. Last time I bought WFN (5 gal bucket) prior to that Nutiva was the cheapest. I do order through Azure but you can find coco oil cheaper elsewhere.

My kids like it when I fry shredded cheese in the coconut

oil. I just heat up the oil in a pan and put some shredded cheese in it and let it bubble until I can turn the "patty" over and fry it on the other side.

I will just swallow a spoonful of it in the morning and my kids like to do so also. The three year old likes to put it on as lip gloss also :).

"I'm sorry, mom, but coconut oil tastes like wax." Says my 8yo this morning. I think eating a tablespoon a day out of the jar is out of the question. I melted it and added it to our smoothies...that was "okay" -- but parts of it solidified, because it's a COLD smoothie. I just dumped some in mine solidified and mixed it up in the liquid before adding the rest of my ingredients, that seemed to do better.

Kids liked it on the toast -- but I don't think they are getting a full serving that way.

I think I'll try making the hot chocolate for a snack. That will probably be a hit.

Now...to get a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff...because I can't afford $10 a pint!