Menu

Dd12 would like to start learning Japanese...I need suggestions.

You need both the book and the student workbook. There is also a teacher's guide which you need for the answers to the student workbook! Yes, we use it all and you need it all to make a complete program.

:iagree: We recently started Irasshai as well. It's low priority right now, but the videos and workbooks are well done. The entire series, volumes 1 and 2, when completed would count as 3 foreign language credits for high school.

You could do up to two lessons a week, imo. However, we've spread it out and average about a lesson a week.

The entire series, volumes 1 and 2, when completed would count as 3 foreign language credits for high school.

Too bad I couldn't carry those credits over to 9th. She'll only be in 7th next year (July).

Thanks for chiming in everyone. That was one of the easier decisions I've made on a program in a long time.:tongue_smilie:

My 12 yo dd wants to learn Japanese as well, but we've encouraged her to get other foreign language under her belt so that she has some success first and feels more confident before taking on such a major task. We've studied some Latin so far and are currently working on French for this reason. I personally think that we will use the younger school years as a time to tackle languages that are less complicated to learn, and encourage our dd to study it as an adult in college and beyond if she remains interested.

One of my adult ds's is a linguistics major and has studied Japanese at college level for 3 years, plus spent a year in Japan as a foreign student with total immersion in the language. (He is a straight A student and won a full ride scholarship to study abroad the year he was in Tokyo, so he's no dummy.) Even with this broad base of education and experience, he is not fluent in the language and says he may never be able to get that far without permanently moving to Japan. He stresses that is very, very difficult for English speaking people to learn Japanese.

I think that getting exposure to any foreign language is wonderful, so please don't take me wrong here because I don't mean to sound like a naysayer. I'd just like to point out that Japanese is ranked as a Category V language out of 5 total categories of difficulty. (Here is a helpful list that shows the levels of difficulty in languages for English speaking people to learn.) I hope it helps you as you and your family consider the many possibilities in learning languages.

Blessings,

Lucinda

The way I schedule is that ds watches the video, reads the lesson in the book and practices vocabulary one day. Then there are either 1 or 2 workbook sections for each lesson. He does 1 workbook section per day. Some of these are short, some are quite long. This takes him at a pace of 1.5-2 lessons per week.

Some of the activities are speaking and reading practice and he uses me for a partner, although I don't know Japanese. I can read Romanized Japanese having learned pronunciation, so with the teacher's guide I know if he is translating correctly or giving me the right answers.

It seems to be working very well. Ds misses very little in the workbook and can read/translate, answer questions. I hope to get a tutor to work with him next year or the third year at the latest, so he will have more conversation practice. There is a a girl at our church who is taking Japanese 4 in ps right now and loves having anyone to speak Japanese with, so he practices with her, but not regularly.

The way I schedule is that ds watches the video, reads the lesson in the book and practices vocabulary one day. Then there are either 1 or 2 workbook sections for each lesson. He does 1 workbook section per day. Some of these are short, some are quite long. This takes him at a pace of 1.5-2 lessons per week.

Some of the activities are speaking and reading practice and he uses me for a partner, although I don't know Japanese. I can read Romanized Japanese having learned pronunciation, so with the teacher's guide I know if he is translating correctly or giving me the right answers.

Thank you for sharing how you are using it. Dd is very excited...I don't know if I'm going to be able to get her to wait until July (our new school year) to start!

Too bad I couldn't carry those credits over to 9th. She'll only be in 7th next year (July).

I would have your child continue her Japanese into the high school years and then have her take the Japanese SAT Subject Test to corroborate her learning.

Regards,

Kareni

You need both the book and the student workbook. There is also a teacher's guide which you need for the answers to the student workbook! Yes, we use it all and you need it all to make a complete program.

Could someone link to the books, workbooks, and teacher's guide, so I can see just what is needed for the course?

I would have your child continue her Japanese into the high school years and then have her take the Japanese SAT Subject Test to corroborate her learning.

Regards,

Kareni

So, educate me on this as I haven't a dc in highschool yet and am just learning about all of the rules regarding credits. What benefit would this provide her? Would this allow her to count her study of Japanese in middle school toward a credit in highschool?

Missmoe - here are the links for those books at amazon.

Could someone link to the books, workbooks, and teacher's guide, so I can see just what is needed for the course?

Here's volume 1 for all http://www.amazon.com/Irasshai-Japanese-Interactive-Multimedia-Beginning/dp/1419685597/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329170965&sr=1-2

The TE is good for volumes 1 and 2. Volume 1 has 79? lessons, it's designed to be used for the first 1 1/2 years of instruction. Volume 2 (txt, workbook)is for the next 1 1/2 years.

So, educate me on this as I haven't a dc in highschool yet and am just learning about all of the rules regarding credits. What benefit would this provide her? Would this allow her to count her study of Japanese in middle school toward a credit in highschool?

Let's say she studies Japanese 3 in 9th grade (at home) and then takes the SAT Subject test sometime that year. The transcript you make will show Japanese 3 in 9th grade (which will indicate that she took Japanese 1 and 2 previously). A good score on the SAT subject test will then corroborate that she actually learned Japanese.

Regards,

Kareni

Let's say she studies Japanese 3 in 9th grade (at home) and then takes the SAT Subject test sometime that year. The transcript you make will show Japanese 3 in 9th grade (which will indicate that she took Japanese 1 and 2 previously). A good score on the SAT subject test will then corroborate that she actually learned Japanese.

Regards,

Kareni

I understand...thanks.

Guest Mile High Mama

My dd 10 is enamored of all things Japanese. She has tried a few different Japanese language programs and *really* likes Human Japanese. It just makes more sense to her and she's thrilled to be learning the written language (since I don't know how to spell the word for that, I won't even try!).

Hi :001_smile:

If your goal is to take the Japanese Sat II test at the end, you might want to look at this website. http://www.how-to-learn-japanese.com/japanese-sat-ii-faq.html

In one of the links listed in the sidebar, he recommends the "Genki" textbooks. I looked at these books at a bookstore, and if I hadn't been a native Japanese speaker, I would have used them for our kids. They are very solid, IMHO.

Another resource you might be interested in is https://www.erin.ne.jp/jp/

It's all free and our kids like it. I wouldn't use it as a sole resource, but as application exercises.

HTH

Midori