Menu

(wwyd?) No-Kill Traps...

are only no-kill if you remember to check them every day or two. :sad: This was the first and only time we've had a mouse issue, so I was trying to remove him humanely.

Poor ds came out of the bathroom (trap was under the sink) and said, "Mom, we caught a mouse and it's really cute but... (tears)... it's not alive anymore." We stopped hearing noises in the walls a couple of months ago. I continued to check daily for a few weeks, but I haven't checked in a week or so since I haven't heard anything in so long.

Ds8 is super sensitive when it comes to taking care of plants and animals, and this is the first dead mammal he's seen up close & personal. He wants his dad to bury it. What do we do? Tell him, no, this is part of life, and throw it in the dumpster like any sane person? Or, shrug our shoulders and have ourselves a mouse funeral today?

A friend of ours tried the no-kill traps for a while. Unfortunately, those mice usually ended up dying anyway from dehydration or heart attacks (panicking in the trap). She decided that it was actually more humane to just get the standard traps and end it quickly.

This is what I decided after using them only one time.

Well, I will be the odd one out - I have absolutely no compassion for rodents once they have invaded our house and are pooping all over the place, and I have let my kids know that. They would all clearly tell you that mice do not belong in our house.

You are not the odd one out, there are at least two of us.

Snap traps and poison.

A serious question though, why?

Does one also try to humanely move fire ants or bed bugs, slugs, rats, moles (in the yard)?

Is it acceptable to electrocute mosquitoes? Wipe out wasp nests?

Edited by pqr

are only no-kill if you remember to check them every day or two. :sad: This was the first and only time we've had a mouse issue, so I was trying to remove him humanely.

Poor ds came out of the bathroom (trap was under the sink) and said, "Mom, we caught a mouse and it's really cute but... (tears)... it's not alive anymore." We stopped hearing noises in the walls a couple of months ago. I continued to check daily for a few weeks, but I haven't checked in a week or so since I haven't heard anything in so long.

Ds8 is super sensitive when it comes to taking care of plants and animals, and this is the first dead mammal he's seen up close & personal. He wants his dad to bury it. What do we do? Tell him, no, this is part of life, and throw it in the dumpster like any sane person? Or, shrug our shoulders and have ourselves a mouse funeral today?

I assume that you had a mouse funeral. If you use those small grey plastic live traps, you have to check them 2x a day to make sure there are no fatalities. But maybe you got one of the larger, cage-like ones.

Well, I will be the odd one out - I have absolutely no compassion for rodents once they have invaded our house and are pooping all over the place, and I have let my kids know that. They would all clearly tell you that mice do not belong in our house.

:iagree:

I tell the kids, dramatically, that the mousie made a "grave error" when it decided to move into our home. I don't kill them outside in *their* homes, but when they come into mine it's open season.

Mouse funeral. We once had a funeral for a baby fry that was maybe two weeks old. We are no kill for anything that won't kill us and even some things that will if we can safely trap and remove. Wasps go because I am allergic and can't take a chance. All other insects are trapped and remove or shooed out of the house, same with rodents, snakes and various other wildlife. This is strictly because of my children - they are vegetarian, no animal products. I personally eat meat and have killed and butchered both wildlife and domesticated livestock.

You are not the odd one out, there are at least two of us.

Snap traps and poison.

A serious question though, why?

Does one also try to humanely move fire ants or bed bugs, slugs, rats, moles (in the yard)?

Is it acceptable to electrocute mosquitoes? Wipe out wasp nests?

For us, using no-kill traps is not so much about being humane. My parents

used poison for mice when I was growing up and one died in a wall and stunk for weeks. Another crawled into one of my shoes and died. I put one shoe on without looking into it first (the last time in my life I did that) and happened to look into the other shoe at a dead mouse and about had a heart attack.

So, when we moved into a house with a mouse problem, I told my husband no way on poison and I also did not want traps with dead, squished mice in my pantry. He's a softy at heart anyway, so he was all for the no-kill traps and was willing to check them and do mousey disposal into a nice field some ways off everyday. Happily, after a week or two, and sealing up some outside cracks, we were completely mouse free.

My husband will capture and return to nature anything that makes it's way into our house. I am less tolerant of insects and they usually meet a watery death on my watch. Outside, we pretty much live and let live, except for fire ants and a wasp's nest in a high traffic area.